Rods & Airlines

pikeflyman

I have just returned from a trip to Singapore & Dubai flying Emirates all legs and stopping in both countries.
Outbound from Manchester check-in said my four piece fly rod had to be checked into the hold and not as hand luggage. No problem, it arrived in Singapore undamaged :eek:. Leaving Sing. they did not know if it could be taken as hand luggage and suggested contacting the police to find out:eek::eek:. No time to check so it went to Dubai in the hold.
Leaving Dubai check-in said I could take it as hand luggage providing no hooks were in the case :D. Went through security no problem.
Why is it that there is no consistancy :confused: what would I do with a #10WT?
Anyone else had problems like this?.
I know in USA they consider reels in hand luggage to be "prohibited" in the cabin and insist they go in the hold - why:confused:

casts_by_fly

It depends who you are flying with and through which airport in the US. I've carried on rods and reels together in the US, and the rod was a 3 pc 9' rod. The rod tube went into the coat closet on the plane and the flight staff had no problems. The security is the biggest problem most of the time. I was using a cordura tube, not aluminum so I think that helped. An aluminum tube would probably be too much like a bat.

Thanks,
Rick

SharkeyP

I know in USA they consider reels in hand luggage to be "prohibited" in the cabin and insist they go in the hold - why:confused:

I think this is because of the possibility the line could be used a garrotte, or to tie up cabin staff. Maybe they think you could hide detonation cord on the spool? Paranoia is the base level when it comes to airline security these days!

SharkeyP

royvs

This comes up from time to time, usually from people wanting to argue the toss at check in.

It's best just to stick the whole lot in your hold baggage, seperated into two suit cases if you are worried about it getting lost (I am).

It depends entirely on the attitude of the check in staff. You can have a letter from the Chairman of the Airline saying it's OK. If the overweight thug on the check in machine says "No", it ain't getting in the Cabin!

Flyway

All my rods go in the hold these days (split between different cases, as has been mentioned) - can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to get them in the cabin. Last time I tried .. I was arguing the toss with a security guy who eventually relented .... he initally said that the alli tube "looked like a snooker cue case and snooker cues weren't allowed" !!!!

If I'm taking my more expensive reels I strip the line and backing off and stick those in the hold and take the reels in my hand luggage, seems paranoid I know but it makes me feel like I'm reducing the risk.

Firestorm

Just my bit of advice as a fly fisherman and airline pilot. It's difficult to be too specific as almost every airline has different rules, and some of them change their rules without out publishing the changes. As a rule you will have less trouble taking these items on the full service airlines, and more restrictions on the low cost no frills type airlines.

It is probably best to anticipate that your rods will go in the hold, and pack accordingly unless they are travel rods that can go in your suitcase in the hold. There is a box for packing skis in which is very robust, and can be locked with a padlock. Bigger items are harder for the airlines to loose (up to a point) as long as they can fir on the baggage belts and in the containers. If they have to be moved by hand then they are at risk from being left in the corner of the baggage shed.

As with your main luggage put a label on which has your name and a contact phone number on it (but not your home address, the luggage might end up there whilst you are on holiday, or worse, someone will know you're away, and drop in uninvited), and the flight number and date of the flight on it: change the label for the return journey.

Check with the airline before you go if they have any special regulations regarding how many items of luggage you can take, and about dimensions. Some airlines, particularly the UK low cost airlines have all sorts of odd rules about what you can take when so check the terms and conditions (rather than just ticking the box when you are booking), and print the relevant page or pages (the check in staff are usually a third party company probably won't have read them) to take with you.

If you have any doubts, or you are going to be charged a stupid expensive rate then consider sending your tackle by Fed Ex or DHL to someone at the destination, perhaps the ghillie, or agent, or the hotel where you will be staying: it could be cheaper and more reliable than trying to take extra items on the aeroplane.

If your luggage gets mislaid or misses a connection then report it as soon as you can: they should be able to tell you exactly where it went astray, and when it should arrive. If they give you a contact number call it whilst you are at eh desk, before you leave, and before the next customer gets attention. This might sound rude and selfish, but on one occasion when I had a bag go missing I was given a number where nobody answered or returned the messages for a week before I gave up, and contacted the airline's head office, and then got lucky by being put through to an extension that I shouldn't have been put through to.

As royvs says if the goons on the security gate say no then no it is, and a letter isn't going to help as most of them can't read (or behave as if they can't).

pikeflyman

Great repiles chaps(esses if applicable) With the value of some of our tackle nowadays splitting it up makes sense.
A chum came to Sweded a couple of years ago to fish with me for the weekend. He split his tackle in to two bags but both went to Kiruna when he needed them at Umea :eek: So it's not failsafe!
Nowadays I try to drive to European/Scandinavian destinations so I can take a lot more.

davisi

On my trips abroad I will normally try and split my tackle between my hand and hold luggage . when travelling to the carribean often on small airlines my baggage has often been delayed , but with some kit in my hand luggage I can still start fishing on day one.
I do find the inconsistent approach as to what you can take annoying. Normally rods ok and reels minus the flyline.

dutchy1978

I have bought one of those KISS/bazooka tubes for my rods, the reels i take with me without line on and the line goes into the tube. People look at you in a funny way with the tube and if it states BAZOOKA on the tube be prepared to be checked:joking::p. I try and put one rod and a cheap reel in my normal luggage and the others in the tube. That way they have to loose both my luggage and my tube to not go fishing.. I've build up a six piece rod for in my normal luggage (cracking rod by the way:whistle::whistle:) that doesn't take to much space..

When i fly i always go with KLM becasue sports equipment is not weighed with the remaining luggage.. I once been on a trip were my rods ended up some place else and i had to buy a cheepo rod in the local sports store.. I hope that never happens again....

Jerry

squimp

Some good advice above...

My 2p worth:

I've given up on KIS type rod tubes - cause they get lost and/or broken into. So now its 4 piece rods in the one hold bag. A cheap option is a big bag and a piece of corrugated land drainage pipe (strong and very light) for the rods.

Many airlines now charge for a second hold bag anyway - so rod tubes often cost extra.....

Everything has to go in the hold bag to be safe at check in. Reels are usually okay in cabin bags WITHOUT line. Hooks are a no no.

Where possible use direct flights - the fewer changes; the less chance of a bag going astray or being broken into.

Travel with your mates and carry spare stuff - so if one guys' gear gets lost the others can help out. We lost 2 rod tubes on a recent Cuba trip (Iberia!!!). No problem as mates had enough spares to keep us going.....

Hope this helps.

jim doyle

Go to argos and buy their Golf travel bag, about £20 .I find that I get my rod tubes amost of my gear in it.I put all my tackle in this bag and use my fishing bag as hand lugage with clothes in it. Hasnt failed in 6 years. jim

pikeflyman

Fascinating how we all get our tackle to out of the way places :D If I can drive to my destination I do but obviously not always possible.
I just wish there was some consistancy but I guess that's too much to ask.