Role of the Wrist

ohanzee

That's spot on but needs to be accompanied with acceleration information.
eg. a rope behind an Aston Martin at 150mph drags on the floor!

Rusty

Put a bit of peanut butter on their finger and say get that off.

speytime

The 1st casting dvd I bought was Joan Wulf she encouraged using the wrist so yes I use my wrist.

However I don't use it as a rule, for me it's more an aid to distance and power, if I was drifting in the boat using only the head outside the tip I wouldn't be using my wrist, if I was casting 60/70ft and striping lures my wrist would play a part in casting.

I find your wrist can play a major part in loading the rod and getting more feel/feedback from the rod.

Al

PaulD

The 1st casting dvd I bought was Joan Wulf she encouraged using the wrist so yes I use my wrist.

However I don't use it as a rule, for me it's more an aid to distance and power, if I was drifting in the boat using only the head outside the tip I wouldn't be using my wrist, if I was casting 60/70ft and striping lures my wrist would play a part in casting.

I find your wrist can play a major part in loading the rod and getting more feel/feedback from the rod.

Al

You're saying that short lining from a drifting boat, you don't flex your wrist at the start of the casting stroke to pick line up off the water? Neither at the end of the casting stroke do you flex your wrist forward to aid the 'unroll' of the leader and flies onto the water? I find it hard to believe that from a sitting position in a boat you're fishing with a rigid hand, wrist, fore and upper arm. Wrist movement my be limited, hardly perceptible but I think you'll find it's there. No roll casting from a drifting boat?

speytime

You're saying that short lining from a drifting boat, you don't flex your wrist at the start of the casting stroke to pick line up off the water? Neither at the end of the casting stroke do you flex your wrist forward to aid the 'unroll' of the leader and flies onto the water? I find it hard to believe that from a sitting position in a boat you're fishing with a rigid hand, wrist, fore and upper arm. Wrist movement my be limited, hardly perceptible but I think you'll find it's there. No roll casting from a drifting boat?
Eh? All I'm saying is that I don't deliberate use a power snap all the time?

ohanzee

If I get tired and sloppy I lock up my wrist and elbow and do a pure pulling stoke for a bit, only thing that is articulating is the shoulder, gives a perfect loop.

PaulD

Eh? All I'm saying is that I don't deliberate use a power snap all the time?

"if I was drifting in the boat using only the head outside the tip I wouldn't be using my wrist,"

. . . apologies, what you said clearly wasn't what you meant.

speytime

"if I was drifting in the boat using only the head outside the tip I wouldn't be using my wrist,"

. . . apologies, what you said clearly wasn't what you meant.
You've got me scratching my head?
I'm just in from the park (adjacent to my garden) and I can't understand why the doubt?
With a short line I'm only lifting the rod to my ear and not breaking my wrist, any casts that requires a bit of energy then my wrist plays a part in the cast?

Al

speytime

A couple of things I should mention, I don't pick up from the water as such from a drifting boat, I wiggle the line out of eye then roll it out in front then straight into a back cast, what I do during that I can't say myself, it's a multiple of movements I can't describe but I'm sure your familiar with.

If I'm picking up a length of line I'll always haul it, hauling is part of casting for me and has been for a number of years now, single to pick up double for distance.

Al

PaulD

A couple of things I should mention, I don't pick up from the water as such from a drifting boat, I wiggle the line out of eye then roll it out in front then straight into a back cast, what I do during that I can't say myself, it's a multiple of movements I can't describe but I'm sure your familiar with.

If I'm picking up a length of line I'll always haul it, hauling is part of casting for me and has been for a number of years now, single to pick up double for distance.

Al

"With a short line I'm only lifting the rod to my ear and not breaking my wrist,"

You'll have to excuse me being boringly pedantic . . . as an instructor, being able to demonstrate it is a key feature of our qualification.

A casting stroke should start with the rod tip as close to the water level as possible, usually in a boat, I find I articulate my wrist down towards the water - more comfortable than leaning forward and pointing the rod at the water with a rigid arm. Bringing the rod hand to the ear straightens the wrist - slow start, rapid finish?

Interesting that you wiggle line out of the rod tip from a drifting boat - do you not find that the drifting boat tends to overtake your 'wiggle' in anything other than the gentlest of breezes?

". . . then roll it out in front then straight into a back cast, what I do during that I can't say myself, it's a multiple of movements I can't describe but I'm sure your familiar with."

Pretty sure there'll be a bit of 'wrist role play in there. (y)

speytime

"With a short line I'm only lifting the rod to my ear and not breaking my wrist,"

You'll have to excuse me being boringly pedantic . . . as an instructor, being able to demonstrate it is a key feature of our qualification.

A casting stroke should start with the rod tip as close to the water level as possible, usually in a boat, I find I articulate my wrist down towards the water - more comfortable than leaning forward and pointing the rod at the water with a rigid arm. Bringing the rod hand to the ear straightens the wrist - slow start, rapid finish?

Interesting that you wiggle line out of the rod tip from a drifting boat - do you not find that the drifting boat tends to overtake your 'wiggle' in anything other than the gentlest of breezes?

". . . then roll it out in front then straight into a back cast, what I do during that I can't say myself, it's a multiple of movements I can't describe but I'm sure your familiar with."

Pretty sure there'll be a bit of 'wrist role play in there. (y)
Come on Paul you must know what I mean? it's not something that's unique to me.
Sweep the rod left to right using surface tension then line weight to pull out line then flick it forwards into a back cast, it's something that takes around 1.5 seconds.

I'm not sure if there's a name for it I'm not much interested in the fine detail tbh but I'm sure other boat fishers will know exactly what I mean?

I might have a bit of wrist in there but that's only means to starting the cast.

Al

andygrey

I don't think that there is anyone who doesn't use some wrist movement when casting, be it consciously or unconsciously unless they are very deliberately to trying keep it absolutely locked.