Rome

Sussexflyfisher

Off to Italy in September, and as well as seeing the sights, I will be packing a rather small fly outfit.…..that’s if I can keep it hidden from the girlfriend! But what are the opportunities for fly-fishing in the area? Anyone been / tried? Any info most welcome.

Cheers

bwo

Howard said:
Off to Italy in September, and as well as seeing the sights, I will be packing a rather small fly outfit.…..that’s if I can keep it hidden from the girlfriend! But what are the opportunities for fly-fishing in the area? Anyone been / tried? Any info most welcome.

Cheers

Have you tried entering "fly fishing Italy" into Google?

Sussexflyfisher

No, thought I’d just sit on my hands and let everyone on here do the hard work for me. Of course I’ve tried google you plonker, I was simple asking for anyone’s personal experiences of Italy.

bwo

Howard said:
No, thought I’d just sit on my hands and let everyone on here do the hard work for me. Of course I’ve tried google you plonker, I was simple asking for anyone’s personal experiences of Italy.

It is astonishing how many do just that. Astonishing.

"Who wrote this book? Who owns that water?"

I would say Georgio B........ as a capital place to start, though you may well find some first hand, good luck gentle brother of the angle.

Mat M

Hi Howard,

I have a very good friend in Australia who originates from Italy and is a wealth of information with regard to fishing that country. PM me if you would like his email address.

Regards
Mat

delray

Good morning. I thought I'd tag this video to this thread for no other reason than the title, Rome.
The 3 guys in the video are great friends of my wife's sister and they are Rome Guides taking advantage of not so many tourists being around to create a lovely 9 minute video of where they live and love. It's not been professionally made/edited and includes a few of Chris's paintings in between 'shots'. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

delray

I've never been, but as we've had plenty of time to plan recently, it's on our list.
Not sure if Eurorail (is/was that the name?) tickets exist any more, but I think that would be a nice plan, city centre to city centre, all around Europe. Yes!

glueman

I've never been, but as we've had plenty of time to plan recently, it's on our list.
Not sure if Eurorail (is/was that the name?) tickets exist any more, but I think that would be a nice plan, city centre to city centre, all around Europe. Yes!
It was called Interail it will depend on Brexit if it still operates

Lewis Chessman

You should, it's a beautiful country and the food is fantastic.
I've dropped my Flickr subscription but for the time being my photos are still available here. Scroll down 4/5th of the page for the Italy albums if you fancy a virtual holiday. ;)

On this trip I flew with EasyJet to Venice for about £30 then took trains to Florence, Siena, Orvieto and Rome. It was the start of an 11 month RTW trip. The fishing started in Oz. :)
If I were a rich man I'd summer in Scotland and winter in Tuscany. I can get overloaded with 'Madonna & Child' paintings pretty quickly but the exquisite items of decorative ironwork one sees all over the towns and cities are wonderful.
Go, man. Go!
:)

glueman

Checked up Interrail still going but do remember if you travel in the EU for more than 90 days in a year you will need a Visa after January 1

Overmiwadrers

I stayed on the Piazza Della Minerva a few years back , I stopped at the Minerva . great hotel and fantastic food . It was right behind the pantheon . Anyway we went out for a meal one night to a local trattoria . We met these two Austrian guys who had just been of fly fishing for a couple of days . It sounded great and to be honest I should have made more of a note of the place names and directions they gave us. But there was this bird on the next table and she had the most enormous ...

O M W

glueman

I stayed on the Piazza Della Minerva a few years back , I stopped at the Minerva . great hotel and fantastic food . It was right behind the pantheon . Anyway we went out for a meal one night to a local trattoria . We met these two Austrian guys who had just been of fly fishing for a couple of days . It sounded great and to be honest I should have made more of a note of the place names and directions they gave us. But there was this bird on the next table and she had the most enormous ...

O M W
Study the map and head in the general direction of Cassino you are going into the mountains then

heero

The Aniene is the closest trout river - just 30 minutes or so from Rome. Youll need a vehicle. Plus national Italian license which can be a real PITA getting. If your bold, just skip the license and go fishing - you are unlikely to encounter any sort of enforcement on a trout river, especially so far south.

delray

If your bold, just skip the license and go fishing - you are unlikely to encounter any sort of enforcement on a trout river, especially so far south.

Not sure this is the place to encourage 'poaching'! Welcome to the forum anyway and thanks for info/advice.
Del

heero

Sure, not recommending poaching, per se, just passing on the advice I was given by the local Italians. The licensing in Italy is easy in some provinces and difficult in others - Lazio being one of the more difficult where obtaining a license involves post offices visiting, stamps, then mailing and waiting. May have changes in the last 10 years, dunno.

glueman

Fishing without a licence will incur a fine in an amount from € 80.00 to € 480.00. There are three alternative ways to make payment: (i) postal payment in Italy; (ii) bank transfer; (iii) Internet payment.

Latest posts