Rotary vice

pati

I suggest you have a look at the Griffin Montana Mongoose...
You won’t need to upgrade to anything else ever...

troutnumbered

I have the 1st vice, the Renzetti copy, it's a decent vice but the clearance between the jaws is limiting. I traded up to the stonfo elite a few months back and don't think I will ever need a new vice it's fantastic for the money.

For anyone that has the Renzetti copy Luke Troutstalker created a review post of that vice with some advice on how to slightly reorganise the setup and it definitely improved it for me.

Last edited:

Fly cast

SVV-360 British made and lifetime warranty
for £129 iam very pleased with mine

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

morayfisher

Trust Member

I’m leaning towards that one.
Am I right in thinking it has a two part stem to give different working heights?
Could you tell me the height(s) below the jaws please.

suzzy buzzer

Where does it say they are British made?

ejw

Was not impressed with mine, the additional extension joint kept loosening off. The cam did not lock and hooks were not gripped. I did some repair work and passed it on to a new starter. At £20 it would be worth a punt any more is a waste !!! I found the workmanship poor a best. Sorry I could not be more positive. My new starter loved it, but that was after a lot of remedial work.

morayfisher

Trust Member
Was not impressed with mine, the additional extension joint kept loosening off. The cam did not lock and hooks were not gripped. I did some repair work and passed it on to a new starter. At £20 it would be worth a punt any more is a waste !!! I found the workmanship poor a best. Sorry I could not be more positive. My new starter loved it, but that was after a lot of remedial work.
Oh dear, I take it that you’re referring to the svv-360

baca157

Oh dear, I take it that you’re referring to the svv-360
If I were you John, I would either bite the bullet and get Stonfo Elite, or go for Renzetti Traveler. Any copy will be just that - a copy.

Traveler is one of the best budget vices out there and will serve you for years. Hook hold is excellent and it has a full rotary function.

Stonfo is sturdier, larger and comes with few bells and whistles. Both are excellent and I use them intermitently.

You already have one Stonfo vice so no need for recommendation there.

Cheers,
Sebastian

pati

For the budget of the renzetti, the Griffin Montana Mongoose is a better/more complete vice... the Griffin is used by many pro tyers

ejw

Morayfisher
Yes the svv-360. Looked a nice job when I tried it (on a demo model) but was disappointed with the one I took home. I did get a replacement vice (not the svv-360) and was told to keep the original, hence the time spent on it to make it workable. When stripped down the internal machining was very poor, cam did not lock and the extension bar (definitely needed) kept coming loose.
I am sure those that got a "Good" one will be happy with it, but at the price, there are better out there.

morayfisher

Trust Member
Morayfisher
Yes the svv-360. Looked a nice job when I tried it (on a demo model) but was disappointed with the one I took home. I did get a replacement vice (not the svv-360) and was told to keep the original, hence the time spent on it to make it workable. When stripped down the internal machining was very poor, cam did not lock and the extension bar (definitely needed) kept coming loose.
I am sure those that got a "Good" one will be happy with it, but at the price, there are better out there.
Many thanks.
Maybe it is a quality control issue. I will avoid that potential disappointment.

morayfisher

Trust Member
If I were you John, I would either bite the bullet and get Stonfo Elite, or go for Renzetti Traveler. Any copy will be just that - a copy.

Traveler is one of the best budget vices out there and will serve you for years. Hook hold is excellent and it has a full rotary function.

Stonfo is sturdier, larger and comes with few bells and whistles. Both are excellent and I use them intermitently.

You already have one Stonfo vice so no need for recommendation there.

Cheers,
Sebastian
You are the voice of reason Sebastian.
The Renzetti Traveler it is.
Thanks as always.
John

Latest posts