Rutland

Wee Jimmy

Not Rutland, but a friend went to Grafham on Saturday, and was dismayed to find all the boats booked for a predator match. Also going out were kayaks with predator anglers ! I thought their season started 1st September.
**** sake...is this where we’re heading. ☹️

mrnotherone

I'm a river angler with no knowledge of these waters but still find this thread interesting. A genuine question, which came first, the reduction in stocking at Rutland or a reduction in fly anglers? In other words was demand falling and that's why stocking reduced?

It seems to me that predator angling is on the up where as fly angling is probably declining. I don't notice this on the rivers, but I imagine the trends are much more obvious when you pitch up at a reservoir. If these locations are becoming water parks more than fisheries, the economics must make it very difficult to reverse.

Wee Jimmy

I'm a river angler with no knowledge of these waters but still find this thread interesting. A genuine question, which came first, the reduction in stocking at Rutland or a reduction in fly anglers? In other words was demand falling and that's why stocking reduced?

It seems to me that predator angling is on the up where as fly angling is probably declining. I don't notice this on the rivers, but I imagine the trends are much more obvious when you pitch up at a reservoir. If these locations are becoming water parks more than fisheries, the economics must make it very difficult to reverse.

Aye it always comes down to money at the end of the day.I guess if they can get bums on seats (predator fishers) charging the same boat hire prices without having the stocking overheads,it’s a no- brainer.

JoeOh

I feel that it is a reduction in stocking that has resulted in a reduction in fly fishing at Rutland. Many Rutland fly fishers have migrated to other more prolific waters e.g. Grafham and this is where the demise sets in. To the AWA accountants, less flyfishers equates to less stocking requirements. But this operational mindset has lead to to a diminished number of flyfishers at Rutland, And so the circle continues. Grafham continues to attract fly fishers in numbers (higher density of trout?) and better bank fishing. At first when predator fishing commenced, we maybe ignorantly welcomed the extra fishery income from the predator fishers, using boats that were less in demand and hopefully helping to sustain the trout side of the business. I feel we were wrong, the predator income just being that, a seperate income to the accounts, and the availability of boats being limited to fly fishers during September, one of the best months. My feelings are that predator fishing should not commence until the end of October, a widely accepted predator fishing period. But tell that to the accountants. We have seen big changes (for the worse) at many of our premier stillwaters, Hanningfield, Bewl and can see the changes now at Rutland. I believe I have seen the best of the big stillwaters and for those memories I am grateful.

Rob Edmunds

Predator fishing does start on Sept 1st on Rutland, hence all the boats are booked out solid until the 6th......you can't get one.

Saturday on Grafham was a Predator Match ( I think the Eastern European Predator Anglers) ....

Pitsford also allowed Predator fishing and spinning for trout in July and August ....My wife and 3 Invicta club members fished Pitsford Saturday and never had a pull between them..

It's been hammered and ruined ....hence why I fished the river for Chub on the fly

For info Stocking started going down before the drop in angler numbers at Rutland....

In my view Rutland will keep getting worse for fly fishing year after year.....its too big to stock properly.

Pitsford will become any method very soon..

Leaving a bigger demand on Grafham and Ravensthope......which will still allow Predator fishing because it generates so much income..

I hate to say it, but we , myself included showed the Predator guys the quality and size of the fish in the reservoirs by catching them consistantly on fly tackle - then stuck it on the media....its only natural that they want to fish there..

I'm now at the stage where I long for the old days when every predator caught by a fly angler was killed.......if the Dam things aren't in there they won't go....

I know that sounds terrible, but things can't continue as they are...

Good fisheries attract anglers....just look at Draycote, Grafham, Mentieth, Clywedog they all have a higher density of stocking and are rewarded with large numbers of anglers..

Who's going to pay £75 to fish Rutland and catch 1 or 2 fish ??

I've booked 3 long weekends on Clywedog and 2 on Llyn Brenig...just to get good sport rather than waste my time on Rutland ( which incidentally my wife wants to fish Friday and Saturday)

Aaarrrggghhhh

Last edited:

JoeOh

"The weekend of the 15 and 16 August saw the prestigious World Predator Classic competition return to Grafham Water. With lots of social distancing measures and hygiene controls in place we were all delighted that this England qualifier competition was able to take place. BT Sports were filming the competition so watch this space for the broadcast date and results."
I thought that the competition scene was postponed this year. Shame AWA didn't announce it in their blog so my friend could have been better informed before traveling (should have phoned)
We are all doomed.

ejw

Good news, river clubs seemed to be doing well. My own club is full, so is my syndicate lake. Both cost less to fish than the big reservoirs and in most cases you will catch more.

ejw

It's not so much, as when. The bean counters will dictate what is more cost effective unfortunately. I to wish that this will not happen.

JoeOh

Rutland stocks 65,000 trout per annum into 3,100 acres. Hanningfield claims to stock 51,000 trout into 600 acres of any method water. Putting any method issues apart, the maths are concerning !

jbe3

Sorry to hear this Rob. A group of us visit each year for a week in May on the Anglian Water Reservoirs and enjoy the trip immensely, sadly we did not make it this year. The customer service is impressive, staff attitude, access to boats, cleanliness, parking etc. The fishing and quality of the fish has also been very good. We have seen an increase in predator type fishing on Pitsford but had not appreciated the impact on game angling later in the year. It would be a real shame to see this experience diminished or lost.

JoeOh

If no lockdown, I would think that May would be the optimum time to fish Rutland. The stocks should be good that early in the season and the brownies still accessable. And the same goes for the other AWA reservoirs, the exception being Grafham which seems to. go against the grain and fish well throughout the season. Despite the concerns that I and others have voiced here, I am sure you would have a successful trip at that time of year. Buzzer time !

karlbird

This thread has made me giggle, thanks 🍿

As a very below-average trout angler, I rarely fail to catch at least something on Rutland, so if hardcore fly Angler’s fail, maybe that’s just down to the weather, or one of those days - or you’re not very good! I now really only fish it for predators (and proudly have taken one of ‘your’ boats on 1st and 2nd) and I doubt many target the trout as you state, there’s just too many other gems to target. Sure, they get caught, but I suspect your average predator angler on there has better fishcare skills than the average fly fisherman....

My old man had a season ticket for years, I have seen it pre C&R and the cormorant issue grow, hence the increased stocking size. But the fishing continues to be good, and if 65,000 fish isn’t enough for you maybe take up golf?!

A lot of the original posters comments have been answered. Many trout lakes have gone any method, or accepting of predator Angler’s, even coarse Angler’s. What would you prefer - that, or they close? Fly fishing for trout just isn’t a growth sector of the sport, read some of the comments in here and you’ll see why.

The biscuit was taken by this comment though, I wasn’t going to type a reply until I saw it “I'm now at the stage where I long for the old days when every predator caught by a fly angler was killed.......if the Dam things aren't in there they won't go....” - who they heck do you think you are?! Many things happened back in the day, very few you’d want back.

Angling has enough issues at the moment without in-fighting. Fishing is many things to different people - and thankfully a lot of us do all facets of the sport. Elitism and bickering won’t help when the antis come calling.

phew, feel better with that off my chest.

dolbisaurus

Predator fishing does start on Sept 1st on Rutland, hence all the boats are booked out solid until the 6th......you can't get one.

Saturday on Grafham was a Predator Match ( I think the Eastern European Predator Anglers) ....

Pitsford also allowed Predator fishing and spinning for trout in July and August ....My wife and 3 Invicta club members fished Pitsford Saturday and never had a pull between them..

It's been hammered and ruined ....hence why I fished the river for Chub on the fly

For info Stocking started going down before the drop in angler numbers at Rutland....

In my view Rutland will keep getting worse for fly fishing year after year.....its too big to stock properly.

Pitsford will become any method very soon..

Leaving a bigger demand on Grafham and Ravensthope......which will still allow Predator fishing because it generates so much income..

I hate to say it, but we , myself included showed the Predator guys the quality and size of the fish in the reservoirs by catching them consistantly on fly tackle - then stuck it on the media....its only natural that they want to fish there..

I'm now at the stage where I long for the old days when every predator caught by a fly angler was killed.......if the Dam things aren't in there they won't go....

I know that sounds terrible, but things can't continue as they are...

Good fisheries attract anglers....just look at Draycote, Grafham, Mentieth, Clywedog they all have a higher density of stocking and are rewarded with large numbers of anglers..

Who's going to pay £75 to fish Rutland and catch 1 or 2 fish ??

I've booked 3 long weekends on Clywedog and 2 on Llyn Brenig...just to get good sport rather than waste my time on Rutland ( which incidentally my wife wants to fish Friday and Saturday)

Aaarrrggghhhh

Your attitude toward Predator anglers coming to Rutland or any other AW water is disgusting. The fact that you would be happy to see all predators killed just so no one wants to come and fish, just so you can keep it as trout only.

Do you understand the revenue the that predator anglers bring to AW reservoirs? At a time in the season when the fair weathered trout angler doesn't want to go out in a chill and wet condition, these guys fill the boats and keep the money coming in to stock the trout for them.

Your attitude is eliteist and absolutely ridiculous! Do you really think many predator angler are actively catching trout? You are surely also aware you are not allowed to fish spinners or spoons on AW waters, so don't pull that rubbish!

Don't worry I will make you facebook famous you stuck up, self loving, master angler bell!

Last edited:

dolbisaurus

You misunderstand, I was asking has it reached the point where there’s more of you lot than troufishers.

I don't know but I do know we get nothing added to the waters for our money but trout anglers benefit massively from our winter input of cash

karlbird

You misunderstand, I was asking has it reached the point where there’s more of you lot than troufishers.

If ‘you lot’ (trout anglers) booked the boats up and went fishing, then ‘us lot’ (predator anglers) couldn’t get on... you can see anyone with any form of business sense sees any fishing as money in the coffers.

And for the record, I fish for everything, even trout, so am not really stovepiped as you like to put it.

Wee Jimmy

I don't know but I do know we get nothing added to the waters for our money but trout anglers benefit massively from our winter input of cash
Think yourself lucky mate...you would still be pissing about on the canal if I had any say in it....👍

Reactions: ACW