Rutland

JohnH

Fly fishers for trout and predator anglers would seem to get along perfectly OK on the Bristol reservoirs. John Horsey, to cite an obvious example, embraces both disciplines, he and his clients catch their share of good fish across the whole range of methods. What are Bristol Water doing differently to Anglian Water such that they keep everyone happy and avoid the angst clearly seen upthread ?

dolbisaurus

Fly fishers for trout and predator anglers would seem to get along perfectly OK on the Bristol reservoirs. John Horsey, to cite an obvious example, embraces both disciplines, he and his clients catch their share of good fish across the whole range of methods. What are Bristol Water doing differently to Anglian Water such that they keep everyone happy and avoid the angst clearly seen upthread ?

As an all predator angler (including fly fishing for Brown Trout on rivers) I have no issue with fly fiherman on Rutland. A number however seem to have issue with us and only for the reason that we are not casting flies and might be in a spot they want to fish. The reason i got wound up was a comment about killing fish. As someone who has had to deal with match angler killing predators on local canals and rivers, it hit a nerve. I do not want us to be "at war" and i actually see no reason why we cannot just co-existed on the vast expances of water. However there seems to be a faction of fly anglers on there that would rather see us banned forever as they do not want to share their water.

squimp

The Bristol Water situation is managed very differently.

On Chew, predator fly fishing is available for the entire Fly fishing season. Approx March - Oct/Nov.

Predator bait and lure fishing is restricted to relatively short windows, most of which fall outside the fly fishing ‘season’.

On Blagdon, pike fishing (fly only) is tightly restricted to a couple of weeks only. Pike fly fishing during the ‘trout season’ is expressly banned.

demand for these predator days hugely exceeds supply and the Blagdon days are extremely expensive. The tickets are allocated by ballot.

just as an example; Chew boats have only been sporadically available this summer (Covid staff issues allegedly). I fished one day and about 15 boats were booked, of those about 5 were pike anglers.

JoeOh

AWA's recent blog indicates the catch to date at Rutland is 8,300 trout. I know the figures can never be precise with C&R, predation, etc. but the catch rate seems quite low to me, considering that 56k trout should have been stocked this year. I know that we lost almost three months of this season, but still... going by last years figures we should be looking at a catch to date of close on 11,000 fish.
Last season's catch early October listed 32,000 trout caught.
After 42 years at Rutland I have had two blanks off the boat. Admittedly I failed to connect with three on the last trip. What I did notice was three seperate good sized trout swimming at the surface in distress. Still a good double brownie caught last week, so I will continue with my endeavours, just have to try harder.

albacore

I was under the impression that I had joined a fly fishing forum,lately we seem to have had an influx of new members who don't seem to share that interest, have they joined just to ferment discontent, or just because they are bored during this present medical crisis ?

albacore

So I’m quite bored and rejoined this forum recently and trouble is my middle name. I don’t really have a problem if people want to, say, restrict themselves to dry-fly fishing to marked fish only, on whatever bit of water. Trout of course. I do expect them to leave me alone while I pursue my thing though. If you have an issue with new members, why not create some sort of modern online tweedy chalk-stream club? You could have a blackball system; like two mentions of anything non-acceptable(this would be a long list, I’m thinking) and you’d be out. Potential members have to be vouched for by the wise old men and submit three essays on “Why anything from America is bad, carp on fly and other abominations” “The continuing relevance of catching your limit and telling the world about it’, and ‘Keep them out - all of them, for all time’. Ah, Camelot with it’s fly-fishing squires, the gloaming of the lake as the Izaak Waltons flit about exchanging aphorisms and Greenwell’s Glories with their ever stupid Piscatores... It’s a public forum. Everyone’s bored. Nobodies going out fishing as much as they’d like. What you gonna do?

JoeOh

Hi Albacore, I do not see Grandad Keith's post being aimed at all newcomers to the Forum (well I hope not!), but more rather at newer Posters upset with comments about Pike and access/ availability to the reservoirs. Both you and I are relatively new Posters and I personally like to keep my posts generally.to fishing matters hence my moderate post count.
I leave the heavy subjects to those more well-read than me, and enjoy posts where I can enjoy the experiencs of others and gain valuable information from those who are kind enough to divulge it

JoeOh

From AWA yesterday - Following further guidance, unfortunately fishing boat hire and water sports will be closed along with our retail shops
Bank fishing will be permitted in line with our current covid safe systems (pre-booking in advance required).

JoeOh

Only a few boats out yesterday at Rutland. Staff taking them out of the water for the winter. Banks fishing well.

JoeOh

Hi JayP, I believe the AWA Reservoirs are open to 31st January, of course subject to any lockdown changes. No boats during this lockdown and I can see it being only bank fishing until next season. Boat fishing in December/ January would be a definate no-no for me even if available. I will enquire at Rutland later this week, perhaps a short session and that's it for the year.
Cheers