RWC 2019 Thread

thetrouttickler

SA excuses? Not sure they'll need them; the physical challenge they offer could bring them home the prize.
Highlights are on youtube; take a look, well worth it.

Remember just 2 years ago SA lost to Italy and lost by a record margin to Ireland. South Africa nearly broke! If they do lose on Saturday, I highly doubt there will be excuses. Unless of course there is some spectacular refereeing implosion (ask the Kiwis about that). I get the sense most South Africans are just thrilled to be in a final again with a team they can be proud of!

delray

I do remember the losses, and 3 years ago I was near the Addo elephant Park chatting to the owner of our B and B, and we both agreed that with the previous coach (Coetzee??) SA were going nowhere. Erasmus has done a great job and produced a fine side yet again, and they are back to where they should be, around the top of the RU tree.

Suziki15hp mentioned Faf earlier; my goodness, what a player and how tough can a little fella be? Wonderful rugby player.

By the way, I was in Paris in 2007, I wish I could be in Yokohama in 2019.
All the best,
Del

Last edited:

Mr Notherone

Looking ahead to Saturday, of course either team could win, but I expect it to be England. England, along with Japan, have played the best rugby at this world cup. The English pack can go toe to toe with SA if necessary, but have a more skilful and mobile front five. The English back row has proven more effective at the breakdown. Both teams have good strike runners and a strong mid-field. Pollard and Ford/Farrell are very able kickers for territory. De Klerk is way better than Youngs and England will need to contain him. England also has a better bench.

On Sunday, Wales (mistakingly imo) went out not to lose and tried to outplay SA at their own boring game. I think England will be more ambitious and have too much variation for SA to cope.

On Friday, Wales will bring a lot of heart, but have lost too many of their first XV to injury. I expect NZ to win quite well. NZ will not want to lose a 63 year old record on the back of losing what would have been a record third in a row WC.

delray

Jon, I'm afraid I'm with you re the 3rd/4th place play off game. NZ will introduce some new players I'm sure, but they're going to be fresh, fit and gagging to prove their point. I think it's a game too far for Wales, but I certainly hope not.

spudgun

For those that managed to miss any of the games they are all on the ITV hub player.
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 81051

Whales was one thing England is going to be another kettle of fish, hope we make it.

Nice pun Bok with whales and fish, but I fear England will have your team done up like a kipper and put in their plaice.

Roll on Saturday for what should be a bone crunching game. :thumbs:

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Is that the hatred/distain of England and it's inhabitants coming through? If so, quite chilling really!

What hatred/disdain of inhabitants of England?
Get out of your fridge.
If anything was a comment aimed at the English media, re the chances of the team in world cup final.
That media attitude shows more disdain about South Africa, than any I have for the English rugby team, whom I do hope win, given the northern/southern hemisphere argument in Rugby.
regards
Bert

- - - Updated - - -

That highlighted section was written by a SA fan; how can it possibly display an 'attitude'?
We appreciate that just about nobody north of the border will support England; nothing new there (Gavin in 1991) but I and numerous other English rugby fans will continue to support Scotland when playing Southern Hemisphere opposition.
However, you're right, England (finally) had an outstanding match.
Cheers, Del

Smiled at the Gavin 1991 comment.
My eldest son is Gavin.
My youngest is Gareth.
regards
bert

blithfield2

What hatred/disdain of inhabitants of England?
Get out of your fridge.
If anything was a comment aimed at the English media, re the chances of the team in world cup final.
That media attitude shows more disdain about South Africa, than any I have for the English rugby team, whom I do hope win, given the northern/southern hemisphere argument in Rugby.
regards
Bert

If anything? Even you are unsure of the meaning behind your comment, so I am sure you will excuse me for interpreting your response as coming from someone who has been watching 'Braveheart' aplenty!

Last edited:

JRT

I think we will see a more expansive game plan from the Boks on Saturday. England are rightly the favourites but SA are a hard team to beat. They are defensive orientated and have good running threats out wide as well as a massive pack controlled by one of the form scrumhalf's.
I predict a close power game where territory will be key. England could get beat up in the scrums.
Garces as the ref should be ok (I would prefer Nigel) but I'm not thrilled with that kiwi **** as the TMO.

Mr Notherone

Can't believe England have been fined £2000 for stepping over the line facing the Haka. Farcical. World cup rugby should be ashamed

delray

My brother just called me to tell me about that. Ridiculous. If the Hakka is designed to create drama then what England did added to that process. Allegedly the Kiwis enjoyed the ‘challenge’ too.
However I maintain that England players should dress up as Morris Dancers and set up a Maypole before the Final, and then we’ll see how The South Africans cope with that.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, anybody catch ‘Rugby X’ last night on ITV4?
I didn’t but apparently it was brilliant rugby viewing.

JRT

England are giving the £2k to the typhoon relief fund.

I had an outside chance of a ticket to the final for reasonable money over the w/e but it didn't come off. I reserved flights etc but it didn't come off. :(

Dingbat

My brother just called me to tell me about that. Ridiculous. If the Hakka is designed to create drama then what England did added to that process. Allegedly the Kiwis enjoyed the ‘challenge’ too.
However I maintain that England players should dress up as Morris Dancers and set up a Maypole before the Final, and then we’ll see how The South Africans cope with that.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, anybody catch ‘Rugby X’ last night on ITV4?
I didn’t but apparently it was brilliant rugby viewing.

I prefer the nose-to-nose scream-in-his-face response, if you are going to go all retro-tribal-aggressive might as well do it properly. Alternatively standing behind them when they are bending down and making thrusting movements - although in these PC days you would need to make a show of pretending to unroll a condom beforehand, want to set a good example to the kiddies :mad:

On a more serious note: The 2'000 quid fine is a joke and I think the NZ people have overplayed their hand. The song-and-dance routine is one precise argument away from a significant retreat by the NZers - introducing new dances every second season negates the tradition argument and if England do the V-pattern another two times then does that count as a tradition as well? For under 10 grand its a worthy investment.

JRT

I prefer the nose-to-nose scream-in-his-face response, if you are going to go all retro-tribal-aggressive might as well do it properly. Alternatively standing behind them when they are bending down and making thrusting movements - although in these PC days you would need to make a show of pretending to unroll a condom beforehand, want to set a good example to the kiddies :mad:

On a more serious note: The 2'000 quid fine is a joke and I think the NZ people have overplayed their hand. The song-and-dance routine is one precise argument away from a significant retreat by the NZers - introducing new dances every second season negates the tradition argument and if England do the V-pattern another two times then does that count as a tradition as well? For under 10 grand its a worthy investment.

The AB's did not complain about it all and in fact thought the V was great. The fine was by the RWC for crossing the line. Silly but there you go. The All Blacks and their fans have been nothing short of magnanimous and positive about the England win.

Also you are on slippery ground with Ireland having 2 anthems and handshakes with that little goblin they wheel out before each game. What's that about?

aenoon

Can't believe England have been fined £2000 for stepping over the line facing the Haka. Farcical. World cup rugby should be ashamed

Was a great riposte to the all blacks haka, good t.v. viewing.
However, the rules are the rules.
Opposition team are not allowed over halfway line whilst haka is performed. Rule brought in to prevent unneccesary confrontation!
Referee pointed this out whilst England team set up formation.
If they had set up same formation, but behind the line, would it have had any less effect?
regards
Bert

Mr Notherone

Was a great riposte to the all blacks haka, good t.v. viewing.
However, the rules are the rules.
Opposition team are not allowed over halfway line whilst haka is performed. Rule brought in to prevent unneccesary confrontation!
Referee pointed this out whilst England team set up formation.
If they had set up same formation, but behind the line, would it have had any less effect?
regards
Bert

I'm sure you're right Bert. I'm just fed up of NZ getting so precious about their bloody haka and everyone having to respect it. If they want to do it at home games fair enough, but I don't see why every other country has to give it the time of day.

aenoon

I'm sure you're right Bert. I'm just fed up of NZ getting so precious about their bloody haka and everyone having to respect it. If they want to do it at home games fair enough, but I don't see why every other country has to give it the time of day.

Would perhaps agree if was only the all blacks that had some sort of pre match traditional ritual.
But they ain't, and therein lies the reason for the half way line ruling.

regards
Bert

Last edited:

boisker

It’s not the All Blacks that we’re grumbling or complaining, every Kiwi I know loves it when an opposing team challenges them..... and I can’t imagine they gave 2 hoots England stepped into their half.
It’s World Rugby getting the knickers in a twist about it, can’t have any chance of people getting in the way of the tv camera’s....
it’s not about rugby, cultural significance or a challenge, for World Rugby it’s purely about marketing and £££££

If you can’t accept the challenge on your own terms, then you should be able to p!ss off and do some practice drills in your own 20.... can you imagine, World Rugby would explode:D