Ryanair - Rip off continues!

A. Fluker

OOPS This should be in Viewpoint

I had a bit of a moan about Ryan Air when I booked tickets for a drunken orgy in France for my mates 50th party. That is orgy without the sex! Last thread was under

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7230&highlight=Ryanair

Should anybody be interested.

She who has to be obeyed and I had the trip planned out inclusive of half an hour here or there for punctures on the way to the airport and that sort of thing. We arrived at the airport with one bag of luggage between us and duly placed this on the weighing ramp at the check in desk. Oh dear 6kg over. Well we did bring only one peice of luggage with us.

"That will be £33.00 extra or you may rid yourselves of six kg" was the reply from the bored girl on the check in desk and the time was ticking away.

We paid it as we didn't want the hassle and continued on our way.

Well bless my soul the same thing happened on the way back at the check out in France.

Well feck that, we befriended a couple and bunged a few things in their lighter bag.

What a game of soldiers flying seems to be these days!

Thank heavans we are taking the boat for our main trip this year. :)

Last edited:
D

Dunbar

Loopy said:
Well feck that, we befriended a couple and bunged a few things in their lighter bag.

Like to see you try that at Bangkok International:D

A. Fluker

Dunbar said:
Like to see you try that at Bangkok International:D

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that but neither had Ryanair I suppose. No questions were asked when the case was weighed again with regard to who had packed what!
I still got stung for £33.00 going out but not coming home!
;)

3lbgrayling

after nearly being stung by easyjet a couple of years ago ,i now always carry a cheap(£9 e-bay) set of digital fishing scales with me ,never had that problem since.;)

jim

Sussexflyfisher

Wouldn’t it have been wise to read the baggage allowance per person and before packing both your belongings into one bag?!! And weighing your bag before you left home too?!!!!!!! It doesn’t matter to the check in dolly that both your belongings are in one bag and that you’re sharing the weight, one bag is one bag in her eyes! And if it’s over, she’ll have ya!

I know where your coming from, with such a short trip, what’s the point in taking two bags, but if your over, you’ll be stung, which you found out to your cost.

You could have got the other half to run and buy a cheap case or rucksack in the airport whilst you delayed your check in! I’m sure you could have picked one up for less than £33!

Now my reply has probably p1ssed you right off…..sorry!

A. Fluker

3lbgrayling said:
after nearly being stung by easyjet a couple of years ago ,i now always carry a cheap(£9 e-bay) set of digital fishing scales with me ,never had that problem since.;)

jim

Jim

A good idea thanks.

Howard

Yep I have now had me arm chopped off by Ryanair and me other hand smacked by you. Quite rightly so.
But was going for a short break 45 mins over the channel and having been hit by the non so transparency charging structure in the first place - see previous thread - I really could not be ar*sed to go through the reams of cr*p that this airline puts out and then hang on the phone for the correct interpretation.
I fell foul of the rules and paid my penalty but one would have thought that I might have been reminded that the return journey could ellicit a further fine.
The fact that the weight of the baggage makes no difference to the flight means it is just another way of utilising the check in staff to collect further monies on behalf of the company.
I can't say that I won't fly with them again. But if I do I will be carrying a couple of breeze blocks to leave on the weigh station for them to dispose of or something similar.
;)

Sussexflyfisher

Sorry Loopy, didn’t mean to offend! And I know where you’re coming from, I've had problems trying to get hold of Ryanairs customer service department, and it’s a joke! Utter shite.

One of the funny things is, I was in India a while ago, booked an internal flight over the phone, and when the ticket arrived, they spelt my name totally wrong, both Christian and surname! Was there a problem at check in? Not a sniff of it, they were more than happy for me to fly and they acknowledge their mistake, especially with the language barrier.

Here, if you make a mistake and type your name in wrong when booking online, they make you pay extra for changing it too!

Just opens your eyes really to how much we are ripped off!

H

paramedicpete

What I find annoying you get charged for being 6kg over when the person sitting next to you weighs 70kg more than you and gets hee haw,the weight should go on a combined weight of person and luggage allowing say up to 18-20 stone per person,would be much fairer IMHO.I got charged on zante and there was a guy that weighed as much as my whole family 5 of us he was about 33 stone!!!!!

Pete

Salmo Trutta

What I find annoying you get charged for being 6kg over when the person sitting next to you weighs 70kg more than you and gets hee haw,the weight should go on a combined weight of person and luggage allowing say up to 18-20 stone per person,would be much fairer IMHO.I got charged on zante and there was a guy that weighed as much as my whole family 5 of us he was about 33 stone!!!!!

....and what's more he sits next to you folding bits of himself over the armrest

Paul T

Got caught out in similar circumstances recently, the difference being that my booking was with lastminute.com rather that Ryanair direct. Our single 19kg bag was OK according to lastminute's t&cs and I pointed this out to the check in girl to which I got a "computer says no" type of answer. The superviser was duly called and I politely pointed out that as Ryanair's contract was with Lastminute and not with me they should seek their extra revenue from them rather than me. I was given the options of either paying 30odd quid or going home! On returning (there was no such problem at the other end) I wrote to Lastminute and to my surprise they agreed to refund me the full amount immediately. Well done LASTMINUTE.COM and Ya BOO Sucks to Ryanair!