SA Kelly Green Intermediate

johnW

Sadly mine (WF7) is on its last legs and I will need a replacement next season. Can I have some recommendations from people who have made the change....

Wee Jimmy

Sad indeed,SA are surely missing a trick by discontinuing the Kelly green.I still use my original 1990 kelly to this day.They made a slightly different version of it in the noughties but it didn’t feel quite the same. No alternative for me but the Cortland blue comes closest in feel albeit with a slightly slower sink rate.

Last edited:

sage5

Sad indeed,SA are surely missing a trick by discontinuing the Kelly green.I still use my original 1990 original to this day.They made a slightly different version of it in the noughties but it didn’t feel quite the same. No alternative for me but the Cortland blue comes closest in feel albeit with a slightly slower sink rate.
I must say that I really like my Cortland Blue

Rob Edmunds

The Airflo Sixth Sense "Mid Glass" intermediate - a brown coloured line is a direct copy of the Scientific Anglers "Kelly Green"

Approximately 1.25" per second sink rate.

Personally I never liked the "Cortland Blue" intermediate , as I thought it was too spongy and I bumped a lot of fish......it was a favourite of the Bewl and Chew boys though back in the day.

Wee Jimmy

Personally I never liked the "Cortland Blue" intermediate , as I thought it was too spongy and I bumped a lot of fish......
On the other side of the coin Rob, I find I bump off a lot of takes with the low stretch lines when pulling trads for loch WBTs, even when keeping the rod up. I don't like any of the airflo inters for that type of fishing. A bit of give in the system helps my conversion rate.....could just be me though..;)

Rob Edmunds

Confidence plays a huge part in fishing as we both know....I swear by Airflo Sixth Sense intermediates & sinkers and couldn't be without them.

As always fish what you're most comfortable with....simple as that really 👍

Wee Jimmy

Confidence plays a huge part in fishing as we both know....I swear by Airflo Sixth Sense intermediates & sinkers and couldn't be without them.

As always fish what you're most comfortable with....simple as that really 👍
For sure Rob I totally agree and I too am perfectly happy to use the sixth sense lines for rainbows. I just thought the difference was worth pointing out... (y)

campsiefisher

If you can find a Leeda Gallion intermediate line, they were made in the same factory 3M Scientific Anglers, (not saying they are the exact lines), they are very similar, colour texture, and made to the same high standards.

Love my Kelly green, and also use Airflo fast glass like WJ for the bows.

Best regards
Jim

riogrand king

Look for a Scientific Anglers "Frequency" in Sink 1.
I have (and treasure) a very old DT 5 Kelly Green.
WF7 Frequency (a fairly inexpensive line for SA) sinks at about the same rate and casts well.
Absolutely nothing wrong with Airflo either.