Sage circa vs sage mod

Robbo5

Im stuck between buying the sage circa 8’9” 4 weight or sage mod 8’6” 4 weight. Want a a dry fly rod and cant decide which i should go for

dave b

Having owned a Sage Mod for a short while, the Mod and the Circa are rods that had great advertising but for many were found wanting on the bank. They are a very acquired taste. A rod I'd seriously consider over the above would be the Hardy Zenith Ultralite 8ft 9in 4# or the Zenith 8ft 6in 4# which although considerably faster than the above is a superb rod that won best 4# in the Yellowstone reviews. Note I think you've posted this in the wrong area as it should have been in tackle talk.

Scotty Mitchell

I’m assuming you are looking for a more through action when you say Dry Fly Rod, but consider a One or X in those configurations also, different yes, but not in any way pokers. Light, “crisp” if that makes sense, I’m no expert on actions, and fast recovering, but you can feel them load quite deep too.
If you are likely to encounter bothersome winds, I’d rather have one of those. A One is my Dry Fly rod.
I’ve cast the Zenith Dave mentions but in a 9’#5 and it was a joy to cast too.
I liked the Circa but it I felt it would be a rod I’d only use when conditions were spot on for it, and it’s a luxury I couldn’t afford unfortunately