Sage Mod or Sage One..advice please

2306chris

I’m looking at a new Sage Mod (sale deal at £500) or an excellent condition used Sage One, both in 9’ #5 but can’t really find a comparison review.
I would appreciate any feedback on either model - thanks.

dave b

The Sage One is a very powerful rod. It will cast a mile but it's not forgiving and I wouldn't use it on UK rivers. I did have the 3# and it was a beautiful rod, best used with a 4# line. The Mod doesn't get complimentary reviews, it doesn't mean it's a bad rod however I'd suggest doing some thorough research.

For your budget I'd look at the Hardy Zephrus 9ft 5# FWS possibly the best 5# I've used. Enough finesse for small flies on a river but also the power to cast a full line. If you want a more moderate action you can pick up the Hardy Ultralite which is easier casting, stiffer tipped but mellower through the middle making it a little more forgiving, while still being a fast recovering rod.

goldenolive

I had a 9ft 5wt sage one all last season.
I have traded it in this season for a new 9ft 5wt sage trout LL as I fell in love with the trout LL action while test casting it.
I have a one rod in one rod out rule and for once I'm desperately regretting letting the sage one go.
The one is absolutely superb in every way, deadly accurate, light, extremely comfortable grip and it's surprisingly good playing trout on barbless hooks.
It's got good backbone to play strong rainbows and cast into the wind while still having a sensitive tip.
I can wholeheartedly recommend the 9ft 5wt sage one.

2306chris

The Sage One is a very powerful rod. It will cast a mile but it's not forgiving and I wouldn't use it on UK rivers. I did have the 3# and it was a beautiful rod, best used with a 4# line. The Mod doesn't get complimentary reviews, it doesn't mean it's a bad rod however I'd suggest doing some thorough research.

For your budget I'd look at the Hardy Zephrus 9ft 5# FWS possibly the best 5# I've used. Enough finesse for small flies on a river but also the power to cast a full line. If you want a more moderate action you can pick up the Hardy Ultralite which is easier casting, stiffer tipped but mellower through the middle making it a little more forgiving, while still being a fast recovering rod.
Thanks Dave
I already have the Zephrus FWS 9'#5 and really like it so it's really helpful that you offer that comparison. The reviews I have seen on the One are in line with your comments, best overlined at short distances and I can't really find user feedback on the Mod.

boisker

Thanks Dave
I already have the Zephrus FWS 9'#5 and really like it so it's really helpful that you offer that comparison. The reviews I have seen on the One are in line with your comments, best overlined at short distances and I can't really find user feedback on the Mod.
if you overline at short distances would you also underline when you have 45’ and upwards out?
I’ve never really understood overlining, although I obviously have no problem with people doing it.. use whichever line you prefer.. but if you feel you will need to overline the sage one I’d say look at purchasing from other rod ranges. I’ve fished a few times with the One 9’4 w... it’s flexes more at the tip, very fast recovery, very light in the hand- both in weight and feedback.... great rod, but definitely not to everyone’s taste.
I’ve cast the mod and fished with it briefly... nice rod, bit easier ‘everyman’ style rod than the One.

dave b

Matt for me the 9ft 3# One worked better with a 4# line at all distances and was lazer accurate at 45ft with a 4# line and not over loaded in the slightest. In short it was a 4# in disguise, however Sage got around that by having their standard Gold line 0.5wt over aftm and the Grand a whole line weight over aftm.

I recently bought a Loop Cross S1 9ft 5#, put an Orvis Hydros 5# or a Snowbee XS 5# on it and it lacks authority due to not being loaded efficiently, however put a Maxcatch Gold on it or a Bario SLX and the rod becomes a totally different making casting a breeze and it's reasonably easy to put a full line out. Both of these lines have a 185 grain head weight which technically would make the lines over weight however I've given up on the AFTM system and simply find a line that works regardless of the AFTM rating

boisker

Matt for me the 9ft 3# One worked better with a 4# line at all distances and was lazer accurate at 45ft with a 4# line and not over loaded in the slightest. In short it was a 4# in disguise, however Sage got around that by having their standard Gold line 0.5wt over aftm and the Grand a whole line weight over aftm.

I recently bought a Loop Cross S1 9ft 5#, put an Orvis Hydros 5# or a Snowbee XS 5# on it and it lacks authority due to not being loaded efficiently, however put a Maxcatch Gold on it or a Bario SLX and the rod becomes a totally different making casting a breeze and it's reasonably easy to put a full line out. Both of these lines have a 185 grain head weight which technically would make the lines over weight however I've given up on the AFTM system and simply find a line that works regardless of the AFTM rating
....worked better for you Dave... which is why I said ’whichever line you prefer’..
interesting that you use the phrase... “sage got around that”....
Technically... Gold isn’t .5 over the aftm, it falls within the aftm weight range- 134-146 for a 5w....
it is slightly over the 140 ‘true to weight’ mid-point.....

you could equally say “sage got around people‘s p!ss poor casting technique by producing the Grand...” 🤭

i haven’t cast the 3w One, but have fished and cast the 4w and and cast the 5w... the 4w with the gold, which was a good match and the 5w with a SA trout, 160grain which I really liked...

any rod will cast any line... you can use a 2w line on a 10w rod and it will still cast... so as you say it comes down to personal preference...

for some reason people seem to like buying fast, tip actioned rods and then overlining them to make them flex further into the butt section and behave more like a mid-flexing rod.... or as people like to put it... “so that it loads better....“

loading the rod... that’s a whole different discussion😂😂😂

dave b

Matt give it two weeks and you can put a post up on loading rods 😁 You could even put up one explaining why expensive rods are more efficient in transferring energy than cheaper ones. Should be good for at least 20 pages by then 😂

Stay safe hope to see you on the rivers some time this year.

boisker

Matt give it two weeks and you can put a post up on loading rods 😁 You could even put up one explaining why expensive rods are more efficient in transferring energy than cheaper ones. Should be good for at least 20 pages by then 😂

Stay safe hope to see you on the rivers some time this year.
i aint going there Dave... sexyloops site haven‘t got 100% consensus on loading and there are some seriously knowledgeable people who have discussed it 😂
keep well and all things being equal we’ll fish in a few months...

Latest posts