Sage SP/SLT Rods

york1e

Which in the current Sage range has replaced the SP/SLT?
Looking at buying a 9' 4#. Well the wife has :)

Mrtrout

Which in the current Sage range has replaced the SP/SLT?
Looking at buying a 9' 4#. Well the wife has :)
I don’t think they are the same, I have both in 9ft#4, the SP is a softer rod, but fantastic none the less. The ZXL replaced the SLT another great rod.
the Sage MOD is probably nearest I would say to the SLT.
but if you fancy a very similar action try the Redington Classic Trout, less that £170 and worth every penny.
S.

york1e

I don’t think they are the same, I have both in 9ft#4, the SP is a softer rod, but fantastic none the less. The ZXL replaced the SLT another great rod.
the Sage MOD is probably nearest I would say to the SLT.
but if you fancy a very similar action try the Redington Classic Trout, less that £170 and worth every penny.
S.
Steven had my XP stolen out of the car, which the wife bought me as a wedding present and has to replace with a quality rod. Thank for the Info

pati

The 9’ #4 trout LL is sublime, that or a new Scott G Series would get my vote.
Hi Sean,

If the OP is looking to replace a 9’6´´ 6wt Sage XP, i m not sure LL or G series in 4wt are the best option...

XP was fast powerful rod, in today’s world this would be Sage X, however in that type of rod you could also go for Scott Radian, Loomis NRX+, Hardy Wraith or Zephrus, Loop Cross or 7x, the beautiful Loomis Asquith...Plenty of choices and a big hole in the wallet!!!

sean freeman

Ah in his original post he mentioned a 9’ #4 and the new LL is more medium fast so reckon it’d be a good SLT replacement.

If it’s a faster rod he’s after I’d go Radian or the Douglas Sky G which is coveted on the US forum. I’m sure there is a dealer in the Netherlands too so postage not an issue.

devondabbler

I have a Sage Method in 9'6" #6 as well as an X 9'6" #7 and I like the Method so much that if I take both rods reservoir fishing, often the X stays in the tube!!
I would recommend the Sage Method as a good replacement for an XP

Paul

pati

Ah in his original post he mentioned a 9’ #4 and the new LL is more medium fast so reckon it’d be a good SLT replacement.

If it’s a faster rod he’s after I’d go Radian or the Douglas Sky G which is coveted on the US forum. I’m sure there is a dealer in the Netherlands too so postage not an issue.
Ah makes sense then LL or G to replace SLT

Method or X to replace XP

Sean, the US forum is great but a bit over enthusiastic at times and if you look elsewhere the Douglas sky -whilst still good- seems to be a bit overhyped... a few bloggers have been quite underwhelmed but maybe there was too much teasing marketing about it and expectations were just too high... For a new rod I d go Asquith stickman or radian !

Last edited:

sean freeman

Ah makes sense then LL or G to replace SLT

Method or X to replace XP

Sean, the US forum is great but a bit over enthusiastic at times and if you look elsewhere the Douglas sky -whilst still good- seems to be a bit overhyped... a few bloggers have been quite underwhelmed but maybe there was too much teasing marketing about it and expectations were just too high... For a new rod I d go Asquith stickman or radian !
Agreed! They can be OTT tackle tarts on that forum and even though the Douglas is well regarded I’d be more comfortable with Sage, Scott or Stickman, I’ve got two good prices now on a Radian and a Stickman, think I’m going to go for the #5 Radian and Stickman T6 for my Western US and NZ trips. (When I can actually go now)

devondabbler

Agree - Method or X in a 6# - good replacement for XP

In a 4# then Hardy Zephrus, Scott Radian, NRX LP and the X in a 4# is also a nice rod. Lot's of choice!!!

Paul

york1e

Hi Sean,

If the OP is looking to replace a 9’6´´ 6wt Sage XP, i m not sure LL or G series in 4wt are the best option...

XP was fast powerful rod, in today’s world this would be Sage X, however in that type of rod you could also go for Scott Radian, Loomis NRX+, Hardy Wraith or Zephrus, Loop Cross or 7x, the beautiful Loomis Asquith...Plenty of choices and a big hole in the wallet!!!
Looking for 4# 9' as I only fish running waters these days