Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon Fishing Canada

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  gandie 
#1 ·
Hi myself and a friend looking to go fishing to Canada for salmon and trout and are looking for any recomendations where to go. We would be going Sep 2012 Thanks Simon

#2 · (Edited)
If by 'Salmon' you mean Atlantic Salmon ..... Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island or Labrador. Don't know about trout fishing, but I'd assume so.

You might want to consider logging in to the North American version of this Fora as there's quite a bit of available info already on line. (Same sign in info/pass word.) http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php Scroll down to "Fly fishing in Canada."

Fred

#3 ·
Hi Grayling,

if you are interested in fly fishing for Atlantic Salmon in Canada this coming September, have a look at my website, http://www.devonflyfishing.co.ukwww.devonflyfishing.co.uk, where you can see details of our trip to the Miramichi river in New Brunswick.

This is located at Country Haven Lodge and there are links from my website to theirs for further details of what is available. The advantage of coming on our UK Spey week is that we provide qualified spey casting clinics and demonstrations at no additional cost.

If you want to discuss just phone or email.

Cheers,

Bryan

#4 ·
I have a subscription to AnglingReport.com where there are feature articles as well as user reports submitted and published each month.
A couple of months back there was one on the Miramichi and it has been fishing its head off for the past two seasons, with an even higher rate than Russia. The fish aren't as big, but if you want loads of fish it may be the place to go at a fraction of the cost of Russia. Unfortunately the CAD is very strong at the moment so it won't be as cheap as in the past (I think it's running at 1.4 where it used to be 2.5 at least). I've just booked a flight to Smithers and that was over £800! :eek: (of which nearly half was the dreaded taxes)
If you want a copy of the Miramichi report, drop me a line.

Cheers,
Steve

#5 ·
I am assuming that you are looking to fish for Atlantic Salmon. I may or may not be off the mark here but September is running it late for this species. They will no doubt be in but many will not be bright. As I said, I might have that wrong but the longer they are into a high pressure watershed the tougher game they become.

Depending on your budget limitations you might consider Alaska as a destination. Mid to late September is still prime time for the Pacific Silver salmon runs. These fish top out around 20 pounds with the average running between 10 & 14 pounds depending on where you are fishing. A good day can result in many fish landed and of course a bad day will see none landed. There are plenty of destinations here for single hand fishers and the Spey rods as well. I use a 2 hand rod for salmon but catch many of them while fishing trout and grayling with my 1 hand trout rods also.

If this sounds even remotely interesting feel free to send a PM.

#6 ·
me and some friends went to BC in october 2009 - had brilliant fishing on the Harrison and Stave rivers - had pink , sockeye . chum and a few coho - i used a single handed 10ft 8 wt rod and had salmon up to 25 pounds - great fun - check out STS Guide Fishing:thumbs:

#7 ·
Simon,

You can have fantastic Atlantic salmon fishing in Sept (first 2 weeks) on the Baie des Chaleurs rivers: Bonaventure, Petite and Grande Cascapedia. Gin clear waters, big big fish, lovely place (been there for the last 2 years).
The best lodges to go to ar Camp Bonaventure and Salmon Lodge. The manager is called Glenn and you should have a chat with him.
Would be a great experience.

Tight lines,

Pierre

#8 ·
Hi grayling,
Sent you a PM, i am hosting a 10 day trip to BC Salmon fishing later this year with direct flights out of Glasgow and London.
I have hosted trips to Canada 37 times now, so kinda know my way around.
Give me a shout of you want the full detail.
Cheers Gordon.

#9 ·
Hi Simon

Word of warning, whichever trip you decide on it's worthwhile to do your homework to ensure you avoid 'combat fishing' which tends to be very common in certain places in Canada. I have fallen foul of this in the past, it wasn't at all what I expected from a Canadian fishing trip so I would recommend you find out the fishing pressure so far as is practicable at your venues in advance. :thumbs:

#12 ·
I wish the miramachi fished well when I was there.

Water level was very low for the 2 weeks and caught one salmon.

There was very few fish caught in those 2 weeks. (august)

Be sure its had a good flow of water before you book.

Other wise it will be hard hard work to get a take

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.