Salt Water Fly Fishing

Hparrott

I am a trout fisherman looking to try my hand at catching a bass or two on a fly. Corona Permitting, I am going on holiday to Newquay and Padstow. If anyone has any tips of where to fish in these locations and what fly has the best luck in July.
thanks

Sash

Keep it simple: a 3” chartreuse & white Clouser Minnow is a terrific fly to start with. If you have not fished for bass before, keep one of these on your leader, and then concentrate your learning on the ground, sea conditions and casting etc!
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Hparrott

Keep it simple: a 3” chartreuse & white Clouser Minnow is a terrific fly to start with. If you have not fished for bass before, keep one of these on your leader, and then concentrate your learning on the ground, sea conditions and casting etc!
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Thanks for the tips Sash, have you fished these areas before ?

Secret Angler

FF is hard work on that coast with the rollers coming in. Locals seem to go for bubble floats and rubber eels. Follow local advice when you get there.

JRT

Take the family for a walk along the beach and shore at low tide to case the the fishing ground. Then come to fishy looking spots at daybreak. SWFF is not a gentlemen's hours game, especially from shore. At this time of year you'll need to be on the water at 4pm at the latest. Usually as soon as that sun comes up properly it's time for breakfast.

Sash

Thanks for the tips Sash, have you fished these areas before ?
Not for a VERY long time, I am afraid. But Clousers work better than most most places outside estuaries in southern Britain, IMHO.
Good advice about a line tray.
And, if surf is up, fish a sinking line across/behind the waves: bass can take in very shallow water, especially if it has a bit of sand/silt, and gives them cover.

JRT

Depend on the depth of water are current you are fishing. For shallow rocky areas a floater. For up to 10ft an inter and anything deeper a sinking head line.
I use a floater and inter most on the south coast.

loxie

Wet wade. If you are a strong swimmer you can get to less fished places but mainly you can feel the temperature changes. The better fish are hard to get on a fly so I'd take a lure rod and some soft plastics too. If it blows up a bit or you get tired or just fancy a change it gives you options. Surface flies can sometimes be excellent, but a bit of chore in to any wind. If you don't have a line tray use a washing up bowl. Cut holes for a belt and drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

iainmortimer

Bass don't just take fry patterns but as they also eat shrimp, worms and the like wee flies can also do very well. In fact if you want to use trout gear just use your existing lines. Mullet flies take plenty of bass every year and so you could consider doubling your chances by using those. Things like mullet bachs and spectra shrimp as well as many red tagged shrimpy things will catch bass. As a (big) generalism, shallow/calm water use a floating line. deeper/rougher water go intermediate or sinking. If there are shoals of mullet don't cast at them because they'll spook creating an impressive wave as they do! Instead just cast uptide and let the water flow pull your flies through the shoal. Doing so you'll just as good a chance of picking up bass and possibly even flatfish.

When you're done though rinse your rod, reel and line thoroughly with luke warm water and all will be good.

GJV007

I am a trout fisherman looking to try my hand at catching a bass or two on a fly. Corona Permitting, I am going on holiday to Newquay and Padstow. If anyone has any tips of where to fish in these locations and what fly has the best luck in July.
thanks
The estuaries are the best bet for numbers especially school bass, however the big girls are in the surf close in. First light and last light close in will catch them.......