Saltwater backing options and abrasion resistance

JRT

- What line offers the best abrasion resistance - dacron (Orvis/SA), GSP braid (4 or 8 strand), hollow braid?

Also has anyone found any proven alternatives to PowerPro?

Last edited:

squimp

Ive used lots of Power Pro and Tuf line - they work just fine for saltwater fishing.

For the last couple of years I have bought cheap braid on ebay marketed as 'power pro'. Again it works fine and better still it costs peanuts. Buy big spools 'cause they are sometimes 'short' and it comes out a bit thick too.

Ive no real data on abrasion resistance; 65lb gel spun works for me. I use it to maximise reel capacity and have never had it break so Im not going back to 'normal' dacron.

Hope this helps.

JRT

Thanks Squimp. I’ve ordered some hollow braid as apparently it’s slightly tougher than solid braid. But it’s all relative.
Mono is the toughest of course but it stretches.

andygrey

Hi Jon,
As a matter of interest, have you suffered many abrasion breaks on backing? TBH it's something I've never considered before.

JRT

Hi Jon,
As a matter of interest, have you suffered many abrasion breaks on backing? TBH it's something I've never considered before.
In Aus most fish will take you into your backing and often head for the nearest bommie. Usually you will get cut off at the leader but sometimes they will take the entire flyline around structure. I nearly lost an entire flyline when a bullshark grabbed a fish i had hooked and cleared off. I believe some guides use 200ft of 100lb mono after the fly line to prevent this happening when GT fishing.

I was shocked at how easy it is to snap braid and dacron when you rub them against a rock. It doesn't even have to be a sharp rock. When it comes to abrasion resistance diameter matters!

weemann

Jon, my mate who fishes Big Saltwater stuff recommended Berkley braid. I have spooled my reels with 87.5lb. For Oz.
I know he spools up with 100lb mono on top for abrasion purposes.
Geo.

original cormorant

Thanks Squimp. I’ve ordered some hollow braid as apparently it’s slightly tougher than solid braid. But it’s all relative.
I'm sure I recall reading Lefty recommend 100ft of mono for bluewater because it stretches.

And should you want to you can do blind splices with hollow.

Last edited:

Gerard

I use 80lbs GSP 8 strand on 11/12wt. No problems. Same 65lbs on 9/10wt rigs.
Diawa J-braid X8 bought from US as the line rating is different to UK... can't work out why!

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

speytime

I don't want to disappoint you but hollow braid is very poor against abrasion heavy nylon is your best bet imo.

As well as others i've used Power Pro and diawa J braid imo J braid is the best.

Al

JRT

Well mono is obviously best but in the abrasion testing I did hollow braid is way better than solid braid or dacron - its thicker and whilst it does shred it doesn't pop instantly when coming into contact with an edge or rubbed over a rock.
I fitted 100 yards of 100lb diamond hollow braid to all my bigger reels so time will tell. The ability to hollow splice loops is nice too.

Alger

I know some of maxcatch is use Anti-corrosive material is mixed in, it is estimated that this will take a long time