Same Fish, Different Day?

bobmiddlepoint

Back in May I spotted this fish battling up the falls on one of the tributaries of my local river. I only kept the picture because there was a bit nibbled (or netted) out of the tail.

Nibbled Tail 18-05-20 Mallart L Falls.JPG

Last week I spotted this one on the redds higher up.

Nibbled Tail 10-11-20 Mallart.JPG

I'd like to think it is the same one with a few months added wear and tear but it might not be.

Andy

pati

Well some who catch and release mark the fish they catch by clipping fins (more often the adipose one). This looks exactly like a healed clipped fin...

I find fin clipping one of the most idiotic practice... I 100% C&R but prefer someone who kills fish for the pot over someone who mutilates fish for his own glory...

Amazing pictures by the way!

Laxdale

Over the years I have seen quite a few fish off the Creed on Lewis with up to half their tails missing, looking like they had been cut off with a scalpel. The Creed is polluted with otters.
The Blackwater on Lewis is also polluted with otters, but I have never seen a fish, or picture of a fish, from the river with a damaged tail.
But the Creed has several challenging falls for fish to ascend, but the Blackwater has none.
Could it be caused by something as simple as cutting the tail on sharp rocks at a falls?

bobmiddlepoint

Over the years I have seen quite a few fish off the Creed on Lewis with up to half their tails missing, looking like they had been cut off with a scalpel. The Creed is polluted with otters.
The Blackwater on Lewis is also polluted with otters, but I have never seen a fish, or picture of a fish, from the river with a damaged tail.
But the Creed has several challenging falls for fish to ascend, but the Blackwater has none.
Could it be caused by something as simple as cutting the tail on sharp rocks at a falls?

But you wouldn't expect fish to routinely cut the top half of their tails on rocks in falls would you?
Is it not more likely that fish holding station in small falls pools and little pot holes half way up such obstacles are easier targets for otters?

Andy

codyarrow

But you wouldn't expect fish to routinely cut the top half of their tails on rocks in falls would you?
Is it not more likely that fish holding station in small falls pools and little pot holes half way up such obstacles are easier targets for otters?

Andy

Probably. When the spate and run is on they follow the fish up the river. Had days when I have seen 5 different otters in the river, would not know what the total number is. Seals travel miles up the river with no obstacles to block them.

Looks like same fish to me.

Laxdale

Andy

The Creed is that small, anything trapped would likely be killed. Every one I have seen has been a clean cut of the tail with no signs of bite marks or scratches on the rest of the fish.
I would agree with you if there were other signs of struggle on the fish with bits of tail missing.

bobmiddlepoint

Could they be ex farm fish?
They often have tail/fin damage

Bert

Wash your mouth out!

No I have no doubt they are proper wild ones (or one!) and think otter is most likely.

I used to see exactly the same damage on fish in the Westcounty and that was hundreds of miles from fish farms.

Andy