Sand in your boots?

Mrtrout

Out today and felt a lump in my left wading boot, a bit like I’d got a bit of the neoprene booty bunched up? Took it off but it wasn’t that, came home and had a proper look.
I removed the insoles to find a LOT of sand had got packed underneath causing a ridge.
Ive had these Taimen wading boots over three years, I bought them from someone on here and he’d worn them for four years previously.
They are without doubt the best boots I’ve ever had, rubber soles show no signs of peeling off, fabric outers are still ok, I hope to get two more season from them, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying Taimen ones again.
Anyway back to the sand build up, the Eden has quite a lot of Sandy patches in it, and the boots have the usual two drain holes in the arch, I always have my gaiters on and fastened down, so I’m at a loss why it’s taken all this time to build up?
Anyone else suffer with sand getting in?
S.

glueman

Mr trout if there is a ridge in the sole if your boot be very careful it can cause all sorts of problems to your foot. I had it happen in a pair of walking boots ignored it and in the end dumped them and it was weeks before the pain in the ball of my foot had gone

Mrtrout

I think the insoles were originally glued in, but of late they have detached hence why sand was getting underneath and building up.
I will in future remove them and flush out after every trip.
Thanks to all who replied.
S.

raphael

You may always have some sand and small gravel coming in. Normally the gravel guards prevent most of this issue but it may happen. The problem I encountered once was due to the small alveoles of the insole: they got filled with sharp tiny stones that managed to hole the bootie... (Patagonia after sale was absolutely great: they replaced the bootie very fast for nothing but the sending cost of the packet, (I did not pay the return, nor the repairs)).
For sure I now carry out regular inspection of the insoles...

R

morayfisher

Trust Member
I’ve got some very small grit/sand one boot only after a day out this week!
Will take the insoles out for drying every time now 👍

pkenyon

Out today and felt a lump in my left wading boot, a bit like I’d got a bit of the neoprene booty bunched up? Took it off but it wasn’t that, came home and had a proper look.
I removed the insoles to find a LOT of sand had got packed underneath causing a ridge.
Ive had these Taimen wading boots over three years, I bought them from someone on here and he’d worn them for four years previously.
They are without doubt the best boots I’ve ever had, rubber soles show no signs of peeling off, fabric outers are still ok, I hope to get two more season from them, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying Taimen ones again.
Anyway back to the sand build up, the Eden has quite a lot of Sandy patches in it, and the boots have the usual two drain holes in the arch, I always have my gaiters on and fastened down, so I’m at a loss why it’s taken all this time to build up?
S.
It may not apply to your boots, but I have seen insoles that were made with very small holes (perhaps the insoles were also used in shoes where ventilation is required). Tiny sand grains got trapped in these holes. Over time the insole was transformed into sandpaper that caused the neoprene bootee to leak. Tiny sparkles of light on the insoles eventually revealed the problem.

ohanzee

The old Orvis travel wader boots sucked in sand, they had a pair of ringlet holes on either side and the fabric worked like a bellows when walking over sand, sucked the sand in.

The only catch is walking any distance in them after, the sand wears the heels of neoprene bootees when you walk.

Mrtrout

I’ve now replaced the insoles with a new removable material, so I’ll wash them out after every trip.
S.

Banksie

Out of interest, what material did you use? I’m looking to insole my leather boots for some insulation. Not sure what to use.

Mrtrout

Out of interest, what material did you use? I’m looking to insole my leather boots for some insulation. Not sure what to use.
Hi Banksie, I used a thin plastic sheet you can buy a pack of three at Tescos they come in three colours, chopping boards I think, It’s easily cut with scissors.
My friend was having a similar problem and I gave him a piece, he’s worn them on several occasions since and said it’s brilliant.
S.

Banksie

Hi Banksie, I used a thin plastic sheet you can buy a pack of three at Tescos they come in three colours, chopping boards I think, It’s easily cut with scissors.
My friend was having a similar problem and I gave him a piece, he’s worn them on several occasions since and said it’s brilliant.
S.
I think I know the ones you mean. I’ll have a look at them, and thank you. 😎

Banksie

If you have the original insoles it’s very easy to run a felt tip marker around them for exact sizing.
S.
I do. Only recently bought the boots, and didn’t want anything taking up too much ‘sock-space’. Cheers. 😎