Scottish Hill Loch Brown Trout

easker1

Daddies around just now and other terrestials coming on the water, any of the Invictas , an irish Octopus works here, and the claret bumble works well,thats for wet fly fishing , others will have their take on things, as Ohanzee says some Idea of where you are going may get you some more precise info. easker1

bobmiddlepoint

Unless you find a machair or a limestone loch (unusual in Scotland) then the fish you'll be after will be small, hungry and competitive.
The rest of your post I’d agree with but not the bit quoted! True there are lots of lochs like that but most serious loch fishers avoid them.

Andy

Cap'n Fishy

Exactly that mate, there's only a few places I seriously get down to it, and the bigger fish just can't help it 😁 and you get the odd one smaller than Shug himself 🤣
This highland loch fish was 8 lb 8 oz, taken on a silver humongous (not my fish or my photo)...

I certainly keep a few in my box and am not afraid (or in the least bit embarrassed 🤭) to use them!

Col

GEK79

This highland loch fish was 8 lb 8 oz, taken on a silver humongous (not my fish or my photo)...

I certainly keep a few in my box and am not afraid (or in the least bit embarrassed 🤭) to use them!

Col
Nice fish..

Scotty Mitchell

Col
That's a belter of a trout.
Thing I find strange is I have literally "A" gold humongous and it gets the odd swim, I have never had any success with the Gold 🤔

Cap'n Fishy

Unless you find a machair or a limestone loch (unusual in Scotland) then the fish you'll be after will be small, hungry and competitive.
While that is often the case, there are a few other situations that warrant seeking out if you want bigger fish...

There are quite a few lochs with good feeding that produce large trout that have no limestone or are anywhere near machair ;) ...

There are lochs with a connection to the sea that end up with a huge buzzer hatch and an average size of a pound...

There are lochs with 'new' biology, thanks to smolt or other fish rearing cages raising the biomass of the water and increasing the size of the trout (eg Loch Shiel)...

There are lochs with no natural spawning that get stocked with a bucket of fingerlings and left to their devices. The few that survive have the place to themselves and can grow to a very big size (eg some of the Scourie lochs)...

There are lochs with ferox trout that grow big by changing to a fish diet and eating mostly char...

Other lochs with no char can produce 'faux' ferox, by having normal browns 'turn cannibal' (Loch Rannoch, perhaps?).

Col

Last edited:

easker1

there is a streak of Metamorphosed lime stone running through here, so we have lochs with freshwater shrimps and pea mussels, I know there have been 10lb fish caught in one or two lochs , although most of them are no where near that, more like 6/8oz , but there.s more than one with a larger fish in it, and no fry, always thought a Humungus was just an American slang word, my larger fish have been caught on conventional flies, an Orange invicta got my 6lb+ Orkney fish, easker1

Scotty Mitchell

there is a streak of Metamorphosed lime stone running through here, so we have lochs with freshwater shrimps and pea mussels, I know there have been 10lb fish caught in one or two lochs , although most of them are no where near that, more like 6/8oz , but there.s more than one with a larger fish in it, and no fry, always thought a Humungus was just an American slang word, my larger fish have been caught on conventional flies, an Orange invicta got my 6lb+ Orkney fish, easker1
It's just a black and silver lure Derek, nothing fancy.

easker1

I am too much of a traditionalist , nothing past a butcher for me , usually using a 4 or 5wt rod, for the past 25 years , easker1

easker1

it's what ever Floats yer boat, once went fly fishing with a Hazel rod , some string and a nylon cast I bought in Inverness with some flies, at the shop on Union Street, I was on Holiday at Torridon, camping at the fork, I suppose it was a form of tenkara,,I mainly fished the burns exciting times in the late 50's, easker1