Sea Trout on my 8'6 5wt Gordon2?

hoopstroops

I am really interested in trying to bag myself one of these larger fish though i'm unsure wether i should be using such light tackle! I do also have a 10ft #7Platinum xd that I use off the boat when reservoir fishing though feel its too heavy for the majority of fish i'll ever catch on the river!

otisthedog

Depends where you are fishing?

We use 9ft 6wt rods as our first line of attack (small west country rivers) and a 10ft 7wt is overgunning it. An 8ft 6in 5wt (usually with a 6wt line on it) can be used, but not recc. where you have a large number of fish over 3lb. A chap I guided last week had a 3lber on the exact rod you have there... he landed it fine (after the usual carnage of a 3lber in a small river :D)

TonyR

I agree with Otis. I fish a small to medium Westcountry river and my prferred set up is a 9' 6 weight. I landed a 51/2 lber a week back on it no problem. I think you would only need to use the bigger rod if you are fishing large heavy flies (waddingtons) or need the power for long casting.

brian_mcg

Had a nice 3lber on a 9ft 5# xp the other night no problem.
Small river though. I suppose it is all relative.

Brian

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I am really interested in trying to bag myself one of these larger fish though i'm unsure wether i should be using such light tackle! I do also have a 10ft #7Platinum xd that I use off the boat when reservoir fishing though feel its too heavy for the majority of fish i'll ever catch on the river!

Often use 9'#5 weight for sea trout when river is low.
When at more than summer height will up it to #7 weight if only fishing for sea trout.
If maybe chance of salmon will use #8 weight.
Reason being, size of fly will vary according to river levels. If only using single 10's or upwards to 16's #5 is good enough.
Single 8's or doubles are better served by heavier line rating.
However the one thing that aint been mentioned is the abillity of the reel to hold a goodly length of backing, and have good enough drag system to hold onto a good sized fish, as and when it happens, irrespective of rod/line weight.
regards
bert

rookstorm

Pro Member
otis

Maybe going a bit offtrack here otis but why a five weight with a six weight line,i use my five weight xp for seatrout and its never even crossed my mind to overline it, ,i cast size 10 and 8 trebles and large tubes with it no problem also 5 foot fast sinking tips,i personally think when people need to overline rods they maybe need to take a wee casting lesson first:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: atr

otisthedog

Maybe going a bit offtrack here otis but why a five weight with a six weight line,i use my five weight xp for seatrout and its never even crossed my mind to overline it, ,i cast size 10 and 8 trebles and large tubes with it no problem also 5 foot fast sinking tips,i personally think when people need to overline rods they maybe need to take a wee casting lesson first:confused:

Hi Rookstorm,

I will often advise anglers to go up a line rating (especially if using modern, faster action rods). This is because we are fishing small rivers where the longest cast you are making is in the region of 50ft. Most casts will be from 5ft to 40ft.
Going up a line rating means that the rod will load efficiently using this shorter line and therefore provide more 'feel' for the angler when casting at night.
No matter how good a caster you are, your timing will not be as good on a clouded, new moon night at 1am as when in full daylight.
The added little bonus here is that the heavier rating will help to turn the larger flies we often use while sea trout fishing.
Your 5wt line will undoubtedly handle 8s and 10s without much problem. If, as you say, you can cast large tubes happily on a five-weight line on your 5wt XP in the dark, then fair enough - it's whatever you are comfortable using that is important. For most anglers we teach and guide on small rivers at night, going up one helps - I can tell you that from experience. I personally fish a 9ft 6wt with a 'light' 7wt on it. I don't consider that I need (too) much casting tuition :).

Hope this clears up your confusion

Otis.

Last edited:

Endrick

Hi,

You should have No problem with the 5 weight. It's great for those times when the seatrout behave like brownies and are on the dries or wee nymphs.

If you are using heavy flies and roll casting because of heavy vegetation then use as heavy a line as you can get away with - you may find one or two line size difference from how you would normally rate the rod when fishing the sort of distances that a small river requires.

Heavy flies + roll casting + light line is a nightmare! Ideally you would use the heavier rod in that situation.

rookstorm

Pro Member
line weight

Yes when i think about it otis you are probably right ,casting such a short line on fast rods may be more difficult for some ,especially in the dark

Silver Stoat

Given that Seatrout stocks are generally in decline, I would question the use of such lightweight rods if you intend to fish C&R.
It is going to take quite a while to land larger fish (the ones which are the most important to the rivers breeding stock) on a #5 or #6 weight rod with the result that anything over, say, 8Lb. is likely to be too exhausted to survive being caught and returned. This, even more so if you are fishing at night in low water conditions with high water temperature.

Dave.

otisthedog

Given that Seatrout stocks are generally in decline, I would question the use of such lightweight rods if you intend to fish C&R.
It is going to take quite a while to land larger fish (the ones which are the most important to the rivers breeding stock) on a #5 or #6 weight rod with the result that anything over, say, 8Lb. is likely to be too exhausted to survive being caught and returned. This, even more so if you are fishing at night in low water conditions with high water temperature.

Dave.

Agree 100% Dave. On our rivers a 4lber is a very good fish with the majority being 3/4lb - 2lb. I would certainly advise not to go lighter than a 5wt, with a 6wt or 7wt used before the schoolies arrive.

theb

everyone has forgot something = reels -- if you have a cheap poor reel you will need a 10ft 7wt for seatrout =its the old fashioned rod set up -if you have a 9 ft loomis glx 5wt and a charlton or similar reel you can no problem catch any fish on this planet to 12 lb peezy pie , iv just put a versi tip 6wt on my charlton 8450 -ok im fortunate to have this rig out but let me tell you its sexy very -im a hunter i dont fish catch and release its for the table -il not fish were stocks are low nor were there is stocked fish in rivers like uk Test Itchen NO THANKS i like wild only -we must never ever get a concience to fish to eat ! these modern vegans or fishery land owners would have us think we are bad to catch for food -= to them i say = they are only interested in money only - yes you will have a great time on a lommis 9 ft 5 wt it will take out a 6-12 lb salmon with ease - but remember it wont if you have a crap reel on the end -Able Ati hart top hardy tibor scot reels that sort of thing good - sage 9 ft 5 wt winston etc get my drift -you only get what you pay for here -you have a reel with poor drag ur stuffed arnt u on sea trout smaller salmon - 10 ft rods 7 wt lines are soon to be history -for sea trout in my opinion bar big rivers and big big sea trout -even then the reel MATTERS

Last edited:

cammy

everyone has forgot something = reels -- if you have a cheap poor reel you will need a 10ft 7wt for seatrout =its the old fashioned rod set up -if you have a 9 ft loomis glx 5wt and a charlton or similar reel you can no problem catch any fish on this planet to 12 lb peezy pie , iv just put a versi tip 5wt on my charlton 8450 -ok im fortunate to have this rig out but let me tell you its sexy very -im a hunter i dont fish catch and release its for the table -il not fish were stocks are low nor were there is stocked fish in rivers like uk Test Itchen NO THANKS i like wild only -we must never ever get a concience to fish to eat ! these modern vegans or fishery land owners would have us think we are bad to catch for food -= to them i say = they are only interested in money only - yes you will have a great time on a lommis 9 ft 5 wt it will take out a 6-12 lb salmon with ease - but remember it wont if you have a crap reel on the end -Able Ati hart top hardy tibor scot reels that sort of thing good - sage 9 ft 5 wt winston etc get my drift -you only get what you pay for here -you have a reel with poor drag ur stuffed arnt u on sea trout smaller salmon - 10 ft rods 7 wt lines are soon to be history -for sea trout in my opinion bar big rivers and big big sea trout -even then the reel MATTERS
I am glad it is only your opinion theb as I don't see 10' #7 dissappearing on my local river anytime soon.
A 9' #5 has a very limited capacity for sea trout night fishing.

Overmiwadrers

I use a 9ft6" Sage SP 7wt for Sea trout . I Wouldn`t fish a 5wt at for Sea trout.. Most of our local fish are 2 to 4 lb but 8 to 10 pounders are caught regularly. Also if you are going to C and R get it in as fast as possible. A 5wt is not really ideal for that.

O M W

theb

I use a 9ft6" Sage SP 7wt for Sea trout . I Wouldn`t fish a 5wt at for Sea trout.. Most of our local fish are 2 to 4 lb but 8 to 10 pounders are caught regularly. Also if you are going to C and R get it in as fast as possible. A 5wt is not really ideal for that.

O M W
hi id say your right on bigger rivers - i had used a xp sage 10 ft 7 wt -but its far to big for the border esk or smaller rivers its simply not needed anymore we have moved on reel quality is much better now -if i was fishing on spey or tay yes id take my xp 10ft 7 wt along for sea trout grilse yes -im not going to catch and release ever its a cruel game -im going to fish for the table im a hunter -not a game player im with falkus on this -il simply not fish were catch and release is the rules -i fish now on smaller irish rivers as i live here in the south of ireland - but i still now and again fish the border esk the cumbrian derwent - irt etc -the glx loomis is a great great beast of a rod the reel one of the finest drags on the planet if not the best -i have no fear and fully expect to catch fish to 12 pounds on this kit -its refined its not craning them in with big lines and winches -its new modern era fishing - lighter lines better reels top rods = greater fun and skill needed a longer play in some cases - im noticing more and more people are going 1-2 line wt down in 2020 era -you will have much more fun on my rig put than a 10 ft rod and 7/8 wt line as used in the 80s -iv been there bought the t shirt lol -i will report back how it goes and il be honest ok -im going to do all my lake river whatever fishing on the loomis glx 9 ft 5 wt rio versi top line im using rio flourocarbon tapered leaders and the clips rio make the whole lot - the kit is sweet simple no need to buy expensive spare spools -in 2-3 years time watch how many are fishing for sea trout with 5 wt lines . i would never dream of using my rig out above with a cheap rod or cheap reel to do what im going to try out -i feel very safe here with the finest of everything and able to confidently enjoy my sea trout and summer grilse fishing and loch brownies , of course i believe the loomis glx is the best ever made that suits me - i prefer it to my sage rods for larger game fish -i have 2 other sage xp in 10 ft for 6 wt and a sage z axis 8 ft 6 for a 5 wt - all super super rods -i was indeed always told my my friend james norris the sage xp 10ft 7 wt was the tops for sea trout all round - it was and is still a great rod for sea trout small grilse -i had my new kit in my hand and said bye bye the sage -i want more excitement -i like the feel of the new rig out honestly --i even sold my loomis glx 15 ft to move onto my 13 ft loomis glx with charlton mako reel - its ok to downsize we have better lines and in some cases reels -big is best but small is beautiful haaa as the saying goes .! i seem to be in-between big and small lol haaa we will see-o and il not be putting silly light wt tapered leaders on either ;like the usa lot often do thinking they are clever - if you get broken you have a hook in a fishes mouth bless it sy bee

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

Roll casting big heavy flies.? No back cast, overhanging trees deep wier pools full of tree roots fish to double figures ? nah keep your five weight .....

O M W

theb

Roll casting big heavy flies.? No back cast, overhanging trees deep wier pools full of tree roots fish to double figures ? nah keep your five weight .....

O M W
i wont be casting or using big heavy salmon flies this is sea trout 1-3 lb mostly and small grilse and wild browns to c 3 lb - its summer fishing lowish water -no everhaning trees were i go , and i do not like deep wier pools with roots in lol lol i think you underestimate the power of a loomis glx rod my friend , if i did want to use bigger heavy flies i can use my sage xp 10ft 7 wt rod of course for sea trout over 6 lb and salmon say 7-16 lb on bigger rivers - its a crane otherwise on 1-2 lb fish using a 7 wt 10ft rod nooo thanks , i expect to have the most exciting time with the wf5 wt line on that loomis , il sharp see how good the kit is once tried as i say il report back next july i fished with mick horner on border esk he is from over your way and Eden 9 years at cargo

theb

yes great idea try your 8 ft 6 5wt gordon hope you have a really good reel drag --ul need it and report back on how it went im doing the same only a 9 ft loomis glx on 5 wt rio versi tip line and a charlton usa 8350 reel i expect to have great excitement

Latest posts