Sea Trout on my 8'6 5wt Gordon2?

bobmiddlepoint

...hope you have a really good reel drag --ul need it...

What a load of old bollox!
I've caught countless sea trout including a fair few in the 5lb - 10lb class and several hundred salmon and all of them have been on really basic reels (most of them on old Leeda Dragonfly reels) with simple drags. These reels have an intelligent instantaneously variable drag system - your palm on the reel rim.

I note in one of your other rambling replies upthread you admit that your method results in longer playing times...

Andy

theb

yes great idea
What a load of old bollox!
I've caught countless sea trout including a fair few in the 5lb - 10lb class and several hundred salmon and all of them have been on really basic reels (most of them on old Leeda Dragonfly reels) with simple drags. These reels have an intelligent instantaneously variable drag system - your palm on the reel rim.

I note in one of your other rambling replies upthread you admit that your method results in longer playing times...

Andy
well if you want to have a old fashioned experience fine -i dont i want top drag reels and top rods so i can go down 2 lines - hope you are getting this cheers tight lines

Moorsman

I must say I fish for sea trout ,salmon on the Yorkshire Esk ,I like a 7-8 wt so if I get a salmon I can control it to return better,for me like Bob the reel is not important but a barrio line is great for close roll casting.

G

GEK79

hi id say your right on bigger rivers - i had used a xp sage 10 ft 7 wt -but its far to big for the border esk or smaller rivers its simply not needed anymore we have moved on reel quality is much better now -if i was fishing on spey or tay yes id take my xp 10ft 7 wt along for sea trout grilse yes -im not going to catch and release ever its a cruel game -im going to fish for the table im a hunter -not a game player im with falkus on this -il simply not fish were catch and release is the rules -i fish now on smaller irish rivers as i live here in the south of ireland - but i still now and again fish the border esk the cumbrian derwent - irt etc -the glx loomis is a great great beast of a rod the reel one of the finest drags on the planet if not the best -i have no fear and fully expect to catch fish to 12 pounds on this kit -its refined its not craning them in with big lines and winches -its new modern era fishing - lighter lines better reels top rods = greater fun and skill needed a longer play in some cases - im noticing more and more people are going 1-2 line wt down in 2020 era -you will have much more fun on my rig put than a 10 ft rod and 7/8 wt line as used in the 80s -iv been there bought the t shirt lol -i will report back how it goes and il be honest ok -im going to do all my lake river whatever fishing on the loomis glx 9 ft 5 wt rio versi top line im using rio flourocarbon tapered leaders and the clips rio make the whole lot - the kit is sweet simple no need to buy expensive spare spools -in 2-3 years time watch how many are fishing for sea trout with 5 wt lines . i would never dream of using my rig out above with a cheap rod or cheap reel to do what im going to try out -i feel very safe here with the finest of everything and able to confidently enjoy my sea trout and summer grilse fishing and loch brownies , of course i believe the loomis glx is the best ever made that suits me - i prefer it to my sage rods for larger game fish -i have 2 other sage xp in 10 ft for 6 wt and a sage z axis 8 ft 6 for a 5 wt - all super super rods -i was indeed always told my my friend james norris the sage xp 10ft 7 wt was the tops for sea trout all round - it was and is still a great rod for sea trout small grilse -i had my new kit in my hand and said bye bye the sage -i want more excitement -i like the feel of the new rig out honestly --i even sold my loomis glx 15 ft to move onto my 13 ft loomis glx with charlton mako reel - its ok to downsize we have better lines and in some cases reels -big is best but small is beautiful haaa as the saying goes .! i seem to be in-between big and small lol haaa we will see-o and il not be putting silly light wt tapered leaders on either ;like the usa lot often do thinking they are clever - if you get broken you have a hook in a fishes mouth bless it sy bee
Where would you be fishing out of curiosity.. Please.

theb

I must say I fish for sea trout ,salmon on the Yorkshire Esk ,I like a 7-8 wt so if I get a salmon I can control it to return better,for me like Bob the reel is not important but a barrio line is great for close roll casting.
i use a 8/9 line for my double handed salmon rod 13 ft i have abandoned the 15 ft 10wt - yes much easier if u get a salmon on your 7/8 wt rod than my 5 wt -iv caught c 325 salmon in my life but they were mostly spinning shrimping worming not on a fly rod , im not really aiming the 5 kit for salmon -its smaller rivers trout sea trout to say 4 lb and the odd grilse to 8 ln -- here we get lots grilse at 3-5 lbs in s ireland -i would not dream of using my 5 wt on Tay id take the 10ft 7 wt and the 13 ft d handed spey rod - i just fancy some extra excitement and the new bent on smaller lines that is prelevent out there is infl anglers in the uk from usa fishers in the same way our spey casting is effecting the usa anglers mainly through simon gawesworth infl

G

GEK79

everyone has forgot something = reels -- if you have a cheap poor reel you will need a 10ft 7wt for seatrout =its the old fashioned rod set up -if you have a 9 ft loomis glx 5wt and a charlton or similar reel you can no problem catch any fish on this planet to 12 lb peezy pie , iv just put a versi tip 5wt on my charlton 8450 -ok im fortunate to have this rig out but let me tell you its sexy very -im a hunter i dont fish catch and release its for the table -il not fish were stocks are low nor were there is stocked fish in rivers like uk Test Itchen NO THANKS i like wild only -we must never ever get a concience to fish to eat ! these modern vegans or fishery land owners would have us think we are bad to catch for food -= to them i say = they are only interested in money only - yes you will have a great time on a lommis 9 ft 5 wt it will take out a 6-12 lb salmon with ease - but remember it wont if you have a crap reel on the end -Able Ati hart top hardy tibor scot reels that sort of thing good - sage 9 ft 5 wt winston etc get my drift -you only get what you pay for here -you have a reel with poor drag ur stuffed arnt u on sea trout smaller salmon - 10 ft rods 7 wt lines are soon to be history -for sea trout in my opinion bar big rivers and big big sea trout -even then the reel MATTERS
Reel? Don't they just carry the line.? The rod loads and casts you retrieve the line of your lucky you may have to use the reel. As we all have different opinions.. I'd say the reel isn't as important as correct rod and line for the fishing being done..

theb

Where would you be fishing out of curiosity.. Please.
just smaller irish rivers the largest being blackwater -id use my 5 wt on the border esk the irt in cumbria the cumbrian esk hugh falkus river from were i come from , id fish the small rivers around penrith keswick cockermouth the lakes for trout , its not often you get brownies over 2 pounds here rare now - and most sea trout on border esk are 1-2 lb -i may try corrib -there are some stunning small rivers in the ring of kerry il use this 5 wt next year for sea trout to 3 lb v small rivers they hold the 3-7 lb grilse july -should be good fun - i think fisherman matters rod quality matters reel matters fly matters ,if your happy with whats in your hand -ul surely be content - catching 1-5 lb seatrout on my 5 line i think will be peezy pie same small salmon -a decent extendable net etc all helps -

theb

Reel? Don't they just carry the line.? The rod loads and casts you retrieve the line of your lucky you may have to use the reel. As we all have different opinions.. I'd say the reel isn't as important as correct rod and line for the fishing being done..
once a fish is on if you have a fine drag and good reel -its lovely u feel safer confident -i found this when i span shrimped and used shimano bait runner - there were cheaper on the market crap - remembering the old saying -you cant polish a turd

G

GEK79

once a fish is on if you have a fine drag and good reel -its lovely u feel safer confident -i found this when i span shrimped and used shimano bait runner - there were cheaper on the market crap - remembering the old saying -you cant polish a turd
That's fair enough.. Enjoy your fishing.

bobmiddlepoint

I get the importance of a good reliable and smooth drag when bait and spin fishing with fixed spool reels. I'm with you all the way on that. But when it comes to fly fishing there isn't a fish in British or Irish freshwater that requires a fly reel with anything more than a very basic (but smooth) drag. I've caught a lot of sea trout up to 5lb trotting maggots on a centre pin which has no drag at all, you just use your thumb/palm and skill/feel to apply drag to the fish. I find using the palm much more responsive in playing a fish, a drag once set is set but playing a fish there are times when you want less drag and times when you want more. You can either fiddle about with the drag during play or just set it very light and use your thumb/palm as required.

FWIW most of my sea trout have been on 5 & 6 weights but they have all been from lochs or small rivers and on smaller flies. If I was going to a big river and throwing big heavy (rather than long sparse light ones) and sunk line methods I'd step up to a 7 or 8.

Andy

loxie

I don't think a 5wt would give an experienced angler any difficulty in playing a fish, there is no reason it would take any longer than any other rod but it it would limit you to basically floating line and small fly tactics which are not ideal a lot of the time. There isn't much downside to a 10' 7wt and it can cover all but the most extreme circumstances. Personally I take a few different set ups: dry fly, wet fly, sunk fly and surface lure, each set up to optimise that style and alternate between them. It makes life much easier, especially at night, providing you have somewhere safe and convenient to stash the rods you aren't using.

Uncas

Theb, You are flogging a dead horse here, we are getting the impression you are a fishmonger.
A bit like Hugh Falkus.
Everything has to go in the creel.

theb

I use a 9ft6" Sage SP 7wt for Sea trout . I Wouldn`t fish a 5wt at for Sea trout.. Most of our local fish are 2 to 4 lb but 8 to 10 pounders are caught regularly. Also if you are going to C and R get it in as fast as possible. A 5wt is not really ideal for that.

O M W
hi its a 6 wt rio versi tip line not a 5 wt on my loomis glx 9 ft. 4 pice it is perfect for the powerful rod and simon G RIO. recommended it for my rod for travel and several fishing situations - i agree a 5 wt is a bit light for sea trout small grilse

The Endrick Spider

Sea Trout on my 8'6 5wt Gordon2?

I am really interested in trying to bag myself one of these larger fish though i'm unsure wether i should be using such light tackle! I do also have a 10ft #7Platinum xd that I use off the boat when reservoir fishing though feel its too heavy for the majority of fish i'll ever catch on the river!
The first rod that I used for fly fishing for sea trout back in 1966, it was not actually a fly rod at all. This was a 10 foot 2 piece built cane rod that I purchased when I lived in London. I went into this tackle shop and purchased an Ivens Original 10 foot 2 piece fly rod, (which I still have) and then clocked this other rod that I just had to have also. This was a Richard Walker Mk4 Avon Carp Rod, a rod which was used for a number of years as a sea trout fly rod. The fly line that I used with this rod was a Kingfisher No3 silk line and a Youngs Beaudex reel that I also still have although the line has long since gone. It was only last year that I took these rods out their bag, cleaned them up and took a photo of them. I do not have a clue how to go about putting a photo of these 55 year old rods on the web.

Latest posts