Sea trout - Sussex Rivers

Bobbins

Hi,

I've lived in Brighton for about 13 years but have only recently re-purchased a car. This has got me exploring the lower reaches of the Adur, Ouse and Cuckmere in search of Sea Trout.

So far I've tried spinning Mepps and Toby's, with no joy other than a school bass from the creek at Cuckoo's corner just after high tide. It's a lovely spot to fish and *looks* like it might hold sea trout but I'm yet to see any.

So far I've tried:

Adur: Downstream from opposite Dacre Gardens to Cuckoo's corner.

Ouse: Southease and Piddinghoe down to Denton island.

Cuckmere: Tried around Litlington but am wary of straying too far due to reading that Seven Sisters country park has the land and doesn't allow fishing off the bank. Does this apply to both banks anyone?

Any info on when & where to go much appreciated. Seen loads of mullet but Bass and ST are what I'm really going for. Got the license etc. I'd also like to try on the tube flies but dunno if it's worth it with the water being so coloured.

Many thanks.

sofasurfer

The western Rother has a good run of sea trout and I am hoping that the recent rain will encourage them upstream.
Fly only on our stretch.

iainmortimer

Petworth and Bognor AC have sea trout run the Western Rother but it’s not easy to fly fish - spinning with a wee Mepps is the usually employed method

jurassic

Hi,
Just come across your post. I've been fishing the Adur, Ouse, Rother and Arun for sea trout since the mid 80's. The locations you've been trying, although they appear suitable for sea trout tend to be less reliable holding areas than further upstream. Most fishing is done on the Ouse above Hamsey, the Adur above Bramber, and the Arun above Houghton. The Western Rother is a tributary of the Arun and above the tide. Mepps Aglia size 2 & 3 are regular takers. There needs to be a reasonable amount of rain to bring them into the rivers, so give it a go after heavy rain. Get in touch if you require more info.

sammyc

Hi Jurassic, Have you had any luck on the fly? Recently moved to Sussex and would like to give it a go...

T_James

Living in SE London I was giving this serious thought a couple of years ago! Sorry I cannot contribute more than that!

Latest posts