Sea Trout VS Barbel

Elwyman

I enjoy fishing for rainbows and sewin, and I've had plenty of 3 or 4lb rainbows take off at lightning speed, often into the backing on the first run. Great fun, but playing them on a big open water is usually straightforward compared to playing and landing a sea trout in the dark, particularly on a small river. There are so many snags, rocks and tree roots etc which the sea trout will use to their advantage, given the chance.
A 5 or 6lb sea trout will fight to the death, much harder than the same size grilse, they seem to get a second wind when you get them in the shallows to net or beach.

Elwyman

It's a pointless argument, really. Everyone is going to have their own idea, based on what they fish for. I'm just waiting for the SWFF folk to come in and start waxing lyrical about bonefish and permit and all the other exotica. 😜

Col
Not to mention sea bass, which can fight well, but not as spectacularly as trout.

speytime

I've caught both, like Paul said there's rainbows and rainbows, catch a good fit rainbow and it's a match for sea trout, where imo the rainbows are better is the open water they have, the rivers I fish don't have the depth or width to enable the runs that rainbows can produce.

Al

Iberian

I enjoy fishing for rainbows and sewin, and I've had plenty of 3 or 4lb rainbows take off at lightning speed, often into the backing on the first run. Great fun, but playing them on a big open water is usually straightforward compared to playing and landing a sea trout in the dark, particularly on a small river. There are so many snags, rocks and tree roots etc which the sea trout will use to their advantage, given the chance.
A 5 or 6lb sea trout will fight to the death, much harder than the same size grilse, they seem to get a second wind when you get them in the shallows to net or beach.
Many years ago, I hooked a mint fresh 2-pounder that jumped straight into the branches of an overhanging willow and got stuck there by the dropper. The glide was well over my waders, so being around midnight with nobody around, I took off all my clothes, got in the water and was able to just about reach the fish with the water up to my chest!

Cap'n Fishy

I've caught both, like Paul said there's rainbows and rainbows, catch a good fit rainbow and it's a match for sea trout, where imo the rainbows are better is the open water they have, the rivers I fish don't have the depth or width to enable the runs that rainbows can produce.

Al
As I'm a boat fisher of large open waters I can offer a direct comparison of grown-on rainbows and sea trout. Not quite a level playing field though, as I'm invariably fishing for the grown-on rainbows with lightweight dry fly gear, and usually pulling wets on 7-weight gear or dapping for sea trout. (Dapping gear is equally stout.) The fight is different. The big, fit grown-on rainbows will strip 50 yards of line off, which the sea trout rarely do. But the sea trout will put up a prolonged, dogged resistance - maybe get in under the boat and refuse to come out... My best fight pound for pound from any species in recent times was a 3 lb sea trout a couple of years ago. I thought I had a 6-pounder and was genuinely disappointed when I saw the size of it when it finally came in. 😜

So, end of the day, I'm not putting one over the other. Both superb fish to catch...

Col

speytime

Until a couple of years ago I only fished for rainbows on the odd occasion, then one day at morton I hooked a belter that run all my line +30/40ft of backing in one go 😁 it got of soon after but I was hooked.
Now when I hook a fish I'm willing it to take off uncontrollably, that's what keeps me going back.

Al

JRT

Pound for pound the humble Mackerel. If they were 5-10lb I wouldn't fish for anything else.
I've got zero interest mud dwellers like catfish and carp. Completely different sort of fight.

Overmiwadrers

I have had barbel to 8lb and Sea trout to about the same . Agree with the other comments Barbel are dogged and very strong especially in a deep river , Sea trout are just so exciting especially at night as someone said half the fun is working out where they are. Sea trout over barbel for me . Pound for Pound the humble Mackeral gives a good scrap on a single handed rod. as does a Mullet . Hardest fight I have had of any fish was from a 4lb sea trout , Couldnt beleive it was only 4 though i had a double .

O M W

speytime

Hardest fight I have had of any fish was from a 4lb sea trout , Couldnt beleive it was only 4 though i had a double .

O M W
I had a similar experience on Wednesday, I hooked a fish it immediately bolted up the pool peeling line of at a speed I've never experienced while heading towards overhanging willow trees, i started to tighten the drag as much as I dare or ever have done and it made no difference it didn't break its stride, I thought to myself I've got an absolute brute here it's got be into double figures, i was yon high as a kite with adrenalin state then though eh? when I got a look at it, a nice enough fish but punched well above its weight, its the most memorable scrap I've had with any fish ever.
_20200730_002441.JPG
7/8lbs I estimate not quite what I expected to see.

Al

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I've caught plenty sea trout. I'm not saying sea trout don't compare to a grown-on rainbow on a big stillwater. They do. Whereas, you are saying grown-on rainbows don't compare to sea trout. I'm saying they do.

It's a pointless argument, really. Everyone is going to have their own idea, based on what they fish for. I'm just waiting for the SWFF folk to come in and start waxing lyrical about bonefish and permit and all the other exotica. 😜

Col
Why would we?
comparison was between sea trout and barbel.
Would be no contest if bone fish were compared to either!
regards
Bert