Sea Trout VS Barbel

Overmiwadrers

As a general observation, any fish hooked in a river only has a certain amount of freedom of movement. It can take you up a pool; it can take you down a pool.... Providing you are able to follow it, you can just walk it about until you tire it enough to bring it in. No?

Col
As a general rule ok but On my river a Sea trout can run you up the pool , down the pool around the rocks . in the sunken tree and through the rapids to the next pool while you are trying to follow in the dark along the bank over the rocks around the bankside bushes and over the fallen trees. It is not a river to wade especially at night. My perception is that talking generally of course on big still waters you just need plenty of backing ,,,I guess everywhere has its own challenging

O M W

Cap'n Fishy

As a general rule ok but On my river a Sea trout can run you up the pool , down the pool around the rocks . in the sunken tree and through the rapids to the next pool while you are trying to follow in the dark along the bank over the rocks around the bankside bushes and over the fallen trees. It is not a river to wade especially at night. My perception is that talking generally of course on big still waters you just need plenty of backing ,,,I guess everywhere has its own challenging

O M W

Ha-ha - yeh horses for courses - obstacle course vs 40 yards of backing out. 😜 For all the loch sea trout I have caught and all the stillwater rainbows I have caught, I have rarely if ever seen my backing knot out with a sea trout, but seen it out many many times with rainbows, particularly with the 'residents' caught on dries.. No doubt a lot of that is down to the difference in tackle being used - 7-weight rod and line, plus B175s and 6 lb Maxima for the sea trout, compared with 5 and 6-weights, plus 6 lb double-strength and fine-wire hooks when fishing dries for rainbows. I enjoy catching both equally, and would not rate one over the other. ;)

Col

Cap'n Fishy

As for rainbows havent fished a stocked ressie for years have had rainbows but not of the kind talked about , I had a big double from Rockbourne donkeys years ago it was a dissapointing scrap was big but flabby .

O M W

I just wish you could have experienced some of the Menteith fish we have been catching this season on dry fly. Some of them have been just mental. I identified 3 types one day I was out a few weeks ago:

Type 1: Takes your whole fly line and 30 yards of backing out on the first run.
Type 2: Goes under the boat, stands on its nose, tail waving at you, and refuses to come up... for about 10 blummin' minutes!
Type 3: Goes apesh1t... like someone put a rocket up its arse and lit the touchpaper. Zooming off with spray coming up the line, then turning 180 degrees and charging back at you, way faster than you can strip to keep up, so the line goes slack and you have no idea where is is until you get the loose line in and remake contact with it.

Here's a few of those guys...

Menteith08Jun21_0691.jpg

Menteith08Jun21_0710.jpg

Menteith08Jun21_0712.jpg

Menteith08Jun21_0837.jpg

They would change anyone's perception of rainbow trout being flabby and poor-fighting. ;)

Col

Elwyman

Whilst I love sea trout fishing at night, I'd have to agree that a fit 3lb rainbow stripping line and jumping is a fantastic thing to see in daylight......as I get older, I must admit that daytime fishing is becoming a more attractive proposition!

bobmiddlepoint

I like sea trout and sea trout fishing but let’s be honest once they have been in freshwater for a month or two they are rubbish fighters. Fresh run examples are almost always exciting to play but stale ones are just like big browns (there’s an opening for someone...) and tend to wallow around or try to sulk on the bottom or under the boat. I’ve had a few 8 - 10lb stale sea trout and I’d sooner not have hooked them.

Andy

Overmiwadrers

I know it’s a bit of thread but I used to have a house in the Loire and fished a river called the indre there were wild carp in there that looked more like barbel I had one that was just shy of 20 pounds and have never fought anything before or since that scrapped like it . Sea trout , rainbows , bonefish or permit . It was incredible 12 lb line and a 2 1/2 lb test carp rod took me about 15 minutes not lightening fast but run after run it never seemed to tire ,. I have had many carp to 30 lb and have to say those river Wildies were amazing . So so strong

O M W

T_James

I've only ever caught barbel on the fly and the fight is a pretty weighty predictable affair. Salmonids on the other hand are unpredictable and require a bit more engagement. I've never caught a sea trout though.

pentlandflyman

Never hooked a Barbel but iv'e had Rainbows that have left me sore for days and i am a big strong laddie, iv'e also had Sea Trout in the dark that have had my heart nearly stopping so if a Barbel is as hard fighting or as exciting to hook i will be making a big effort to catch one.

I suppose it makes a big difference with the tackle you are using as well, hooking a Rainbow or Sea Trout on a #8 rod is nowhere near as exciting as hooking them on a #5 or #6 and any fish caught in the dark feels like a monster. I know two guys that go down to the Wye every year for Barbel and they use some pretty heavy rods and reels and they still rave about the fight from them. I suppose you need to experience them all at their best to have a valid opinion.

Paul_B

Whilst I love sea trout fishing at night, I'd have to agree that a fit 3lb rainbow stripping line and jumping is a fantastic thing to see in daylight......as I get older, I must admit that daytime fishing is becoming a more attractive proposition!

I love catching those blues for the same reason (y)