Sea Trout VS Barbel

skipcrazy

I was nymphing for trout on the Wye this year and by misunderstanding some underwater signs of fish feeding I contrived to foul hook a barbel in the tail. It was powerful but I managed to control it on my 5 weight xp fly rod. It was tricky getting it up to the net against the current at one point, admittedly, but at no point did it make an explosive run like a sea trout. Between 5 and 6lbs according to the weigh net. Overall I did feel the rod was on the light side.

dave b

One thing that often gets over looked is the water, depth and flow all of which make a difference. Unless you have caught barbel, carp, rainbows and sea trout on the same set up, on the same water, it’s not an easy one to quantify, however if the rod is bent and the reel clutch is singing do we really care?

Some American fly anglers look down on Whitefish yet they give great sport. Somebody has already commented that Grayling give a poor fight but I can’t say I necessarily agree particularly when you catch them in cold flowing well oxygenated water.

Natural river carp put up a great fight however so does a 2-3lb WBT on a fast flowing free stone river. Rainbows vary considerably depending on the venue and oxygen levels. If you catch a 1lb plus rainbow on a small stream on light tackle you have a battle on your hands.

I don’t think there’s a winner on this one as there are too many variables however if my rod is bent and there’s a fish thumping on the other end I’m happy.

icejohn

Am with the previous poster depends on the tackle you use and the water depth.

Most seafish I have caught on light spinning rod fight like hell more so than fresh water. Been mackeral fishing and used 12 lb braid with carp rod test curve of 3lb and each mackeral had the rod bent in half for a good 3 min.

nav

I've caught both seat trout and barbels, and to my opinion, sea trout (especially those ones between 60 and 75 cm) provide a much powerfull defense /fight vs barbels of the same size.

To me in fresh water the ratio size / defense is :
salmon > shad > sea trout > carp > rainbow > barbel > brownie > asp / pike > tench > zander > other coarse fish .
Unfortunately I never hooked a big catfish yet.

For instance that 76 cm sea trout provided an incredible fight, way much more than any barbel of the same size

20190907_125010.jpg

Latest posts