Seal Fur Pennels

Wee Jimmy

Black

Olive

When I first started fly fishing the simple black pennel quickly became one of my favourites, both for ease of tying and for getting me a few fish.I always did them with seal fur though rather than the floss bodied original. Tied some fresh ones for this year plus a variant,Ive been neglecting this style of pattern for too long I think.​

sage5

Black

Olive

When I first started fly fishing the simple black pennel quickly became one of my favourites, both for ease of tying and for getting me a few fish.I always did them with seal fur though rather than the floss bodied original. Tied some fresh ones for this year plus a variant,Ive been neglecting this style of pattern for too long I think.​

sage5

Hi Jimmy, I am in my seventies and last year I started fishing pennels for the first time since the late sixties and had great success with them.I also fish an olive seals fur pennel only with dark olive seals fur and dyed red tippets and did very well with them also
many thanks for your post
Regards Duncan

Wee Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, I am in my seventies and last year I started fishing pennels for the first time since the late sixties and had great success with them.I also fish an olive seals fur pennel only with dark olive seals fur and dyed red tippets and did very well with them also
many thanks for your post
Regards Duncan
Thanks Duncan....flies might become less fashionable over time but their effectiveness doesn’t change....😉 I’ve quite a few still in my box which were firm favourites and they never see the light of day now.

diawl bach

Lovely job. The first fly pattern I tied while on a very cold, wet holiday in Ireland. Tied three on the cast and drove down to the nearest lough where the brownies were far from discriminating, had a leash of trout, a great day.
Good for sewin on a size 8.

sage5

Thanks Duncan....flies might become less fashionable over time but their effectiveness doesn’t change....😉 I’ve quite a few still in my box which were firm favourites and they never see the light of day now.
Funny enough Jimmy I have a friend who I have who I fish often with over the last few years, and he always has them on his cast size 12s down to 16s,another old fly I use often is silver and pearly invictas for both brownies and Sea Trout

Wee Jimmy

Funny enough Jimmy I have a friend who I have who I fish often with over the last few years, and he always has them on his cast size 12s down to 16s,another old fly I use often is silver and pearly invictas for both brownies and Sea Trout
The silver invicta is one that has always stayed in vogue for me,it still gets regular use as a tail fly.That or a dunkeld depending on the light.

Gdog

Black Pennell, Bibio and Connemara Black are three great flies to catch wild trout.

The seals fur version of the Pennell looks good, I've only used the floss bodied version, with different ribs, silver, gold and pearl, and also different coloured dyed GP tippets, I'll have add a few of these to my list.

Jimmy, thanks for sharing

doobrysnatcher

for my river fishing i always have the threaded version size 14 in a box black pennells.jpg i never tried the dubbed version for lough fishing i prefer thisjungle bunnies.jpg

Scotty90

I often fish 3 seals fur pennels on Harlaw when the rainbows are taking buzzers in the top couple of feet of water, absolutely deadly. I tie them with Amherst pheasant tippet fibres as well as gp.

Wee Jimmy

I often fish 3 seals fur pennels on Harlaw when the rainbows are taking buzzers in the top couple of feet of water, absolutely deadly. I tie them with Amherst pheasant tippet fibres as well as gp.
Yup..Ive used them in that guise too, instead of Arthur Coves simple black spiders. They have life and kick which superglue or varnished buzzers lack...;-)