Second fly rod

TherealFelix18

Hi everyone!

I will be moving to Kent in August and I would like to have a crack at fly fishing places like Bewl, small water fisheries and maybe rivers like the Teise. I've fly fished for a few years but it's only been with my dad on holidays (PB of 4lbs 8oz).

Currently I own a 9'6 Sonik SKS fly rod rated 7/8 with a matching reel. From what I've seen a lot of people recommend using something like my Sonik for lures and reservoirs with something lighter for small waters and rivers.

Any advice on a possible setup to compliment my 7 weight and some newbie tips for fishing rivers would be welcome!

Tangled

You'll get a hundred recommendations.

You can use your Sonic on Bewl - and with small flies too, it's really only fashion that's changed the #7 into a #5.

But #5 weights are very light in comparison and the reels are lighter too so they are nicer to use when big, heavy flies and massive fish are not on the menu. It really depends on your budget. I asked for the same recommendation a lifetime ago here now and opted for the Greys GR50 - now the GR60 - and have been very pleased with it, so put that on your list.

If you're on a smaller budget (the Greys is around £150 from memory) you're looking at Shakespeare which make some very good rods. Even cheaper are Maxcatch because they're coming direct from China which can also be very good. Someone will give you the lowdown on those.

If you're looking higher up the market than a couple of hundred quid, I can't help :cool:

You'll probably want a reel too and I'd suggest looking for a cassette system so that you can have several lines without having to buy reels for each. Go for a light one - do check their weights as some are surprisingly heavy. I went for the Snowbee Spectre but I hear good things about the SKB.

You'll find some good offers on kits around now too, the Orvis Clearwater rod/reel/line deal is pretty fair

But don't rush into it.

If you want to know a lot more than you thought you ever would about rods, read this:

Last edited:

TherealFelix18

You'll get a hundred recommendations.

You can use your Sonic on Bewl - and with small flies too, it's really only fashion that's changed the #7 into a #5.

But #5 weights are very light in comparison and the reels are lighter too so they are nicer to use when big, heavy flies and massive fish are not on the menu. It really depends on your budget. I asked for the same recommendation a lifetime ago here now and opted for the Greys GR50 - now the GR60 - and have been very pleased with it, so put that on your list.

If you're on a smaller budget (the Greys is around £150 from memory) you're looking at Shakespeare which make some very good rods. Even cheaper are Maxcatch because they're coming direct from China which can also be very good. Someone will give you the lowdown on those.

If you're looking higher up the market than a couple of hundred quid, I can't help :cool:

You'll probably want a reel too and I'd suggest looking for a cassette system so that you can have several lines without having to buy reels for each. Go for a light one - do check their weights as some are surprisingly heavy. I went for the Snowbee Spectre but I hear good things about the SKB.

You'll find some good offers on kits around now too, the Orvis Clearwater rod/reel/line deal is pretty fair

But don't rush into it.

If you want to know a lot more than you thought you ever would about rods, read this:
Thanks very much for the information! I'm probably not looking for something more than a couple of hundred for a rod and reel together.

My dad actually fishes the budget Greys GR20 model in 9'6 foot 6 weight with a Vision reel and snowbee line. I do like using it and it's definitely a different feel from a 7/8 weight. I'll have to take a look at the Greys, Shakespeare, Maxcatch and Orvis Clearwater models as you recommend.

I guess the main thing will be deciding between a 5 and 6 in terms of weight and 9, 9'6 and 10 foot in length.

Tangled

I guess the main thing will be deciding between a 5 and 6 in terms of weight and 9, 9'6 and 10 foot in length.
That's pretty easy for me, go for the 9' #5. There's not enough difference between the #6 and the #7 to make it worth it and the 9' #5 is the classic rod profile, apparently there are more of them sold than any other rod by a long way. Good for river and lake.

I'm surprised no-one else has dropped by yet to contradict me.

TherealFelix18

That's pretty easy for me, go for the 9' #5. There's not enough difference between the #6 and the #7 to make it worth it and the 9' #5 is the classic rod profile, apparently there are more of them sold than any other rod by a long way. Good for river and lake.

I'm surprised no-one else has dropped by yet to contradict me.
Ah right.

A 9 foot 5 weight sounds like a good combo then.

Do you recommend getting a standard style reel or a cassette one?

kingf000

Ah right.

A 9 foot 5 weight sounds like a good combo then.

Depends how many lines you intend to fish with. On small waters and rivers, most of the time you will be using a floating line, lengthening the leader if you want to fish deeper. However, there are times when you may want to think about a sinking line, say in winter when the fish are hugging the bottom. You can get round that, though, by using a fast sinker leader that will pull the floating line under. Personally I've never needed a cassette reel.
I agree with the 9ft 5wt rod, a good general purpose rod. There are some excellent reviews of these rods on the internet, though you would be hard pressed to find a bad rod these days.

Tangled

I've always chosen cassettes (see my first post). It really depends what type of fishing you do, if you only fish the same river with nymphs and dries you'll probably only need one reel because you'll probably only use one line.

I do a lot of different types of fly fishing from small still waters to large lakes and rivers, for brown trout, sea trout and salmon and for some of those it's best to have different lines because you use different rods. But as it worked out in the end, I had to buy three different cassette reels to hold the different sizes of lines I was using, so you can't really win unless you buy a salmon reel and use it on your tiny trout rod!

Also most people that fish stillwaters will have a sinking and an intermediate line so it makes sense to be able to have an easy and cheap way of swopping between lines. They're just more versatile and don't seem to cost much more than ordinary reels. There's no functional downside.

For your two rods - the #5 and the #7 you could get a cassette reel that would work for both, you'll see them labelled as 5/6/7. In practice they're built to hold the fattest line so they can feel a bit overweight on the smallest. But I haven't checked them all out, I'd just suggest that you check the weight of the reel before you buy it.

This kind of thing

Last edited:

roger h 10

Let me know when you actually move to Kent and I'll let you have a go with my #5 and#6 weight outfits. If we can meet at a water better still.
I currently have 12 #5 & #6 weight rods in various lengths and a similar amount of reels

hooferinsane

I returned to fly fishing recently after a long break and purchased a scierra srx v2 after a recommendation on here. Mine is a #7 rating, 9.5 ft. I did wonder as I had advanced approx 25 years since my last outing, whether it would be too ‘heavy’ in terms of line rating, but casting all day isn’t an issue. I have bought a 9ft maxcatch premier 9ft #5 rating too, but haven’t used it yet as haven’t put the scierra down. I would shop around for price, I actually got mine in a sale for £99 plus delivery. Cassette reels are the way to go as mentioned. I am still using Leeda LC 80 cassette reels from back then, and even bought a second hand one in vgc recently as they still do the job.

btw I am in Kent too

kingf000

Looking at the pictures of the river Teise (TACS), a 9ft rod may be too long. It looks like a classic 7/8ft 3wt river. Might be worth contacting them for advice, as the club also have a reservoir. So a 7ft 3wt rod plus your current set up suit you better.

roger h 10

Looking at the pictures of the river Teise (TACS), a 9ft rod may be too long. It looks like a classic 7/8ft 3wt river. Might be worth contacting them for advice, as the club also have a reservoir. So a 7ft 3wt rod plus your current set up suit you better.
I have fished the Teise fairly recently and I would class it as best fished with a short rod on the wooded sections or a long rod (10' or 11' on the more open sections),a long handled landing net is also necessary on some sections as the banks are very steep.

Rhithrogena

I agree with kingf000 above. I would suggest an 8'6" #4 though. Great for rivers and small still waters and will keep you going until rod no.3 😂

iainmortimer

Thanks very much for the information! I'm probably not looking for something more than a couple of hundred for a rod and reel together.

My dad actually fishes the budget Greys GR20 model in 9'6 foot 6 weight with a Vision reel and snowbee line. I do like using it and it's definitely a different feel from a 7/8 weight. I'll have to take a look at the Greys, Shakespeare, Maxcatch and Orvis Clearwater models as you recommend.

Greys is a brilliant choice and I'd definitely recommend it, if its one you've used and like then I'd go with it and the #5 is a good choice for the smaller stillwater and river.

Rather than just looking for new gear, its worth keeping an eye out for used gear too and you will be able to up the specification a fair way!
e.g. lamson reel
Greys GR70 #5 rod

TherealFelix18

Let me know when you actually move to Kent and I'll let you have a go with my #5 and#6 weight outfits. If we can meet at a water better still.
I currently have 12 #5 & #6 weight rods in various lengths and a similar amount of reels
Thanks very much for the offer! I'll be sure to drop you a line when I move.

What are your favourite spots in the area? I've heard of Bewl, Brick Farm, Spring Hill, Chalybeate and Lakedown in terms of stillwaters and the Teise for rivers.

TherealFelix18

I returned to fly fishing recently after a long break and purchased a scierra srx v2 after a recommendation on here. Mine is a #7 rating, 9.5 ft. I did wonder as I had advanced approx 25 years since my last outing, whether it would be too ‘heavy’ in terms of line rating, but casting all day isn’t an issue. I have bought a 9ft maxcatch premier 9ft #5 rating too, but haven’t used it yet as haven’t put the scierra down. I would shop around for price, I actually got mine in a sale for £99 plus delivery. Cassette reels are the way to go as mentioned. I am still using Leeda LC 80 cassette reels from back then, and even bought a second hand one in vgc recently as they still do the job.

btw I am in Kent too
Good stuff I'll have to add scierra to the brands list haha. Getting a reel second hand or in a combo seems to be a common recommendation.

What are your favourite venues in Kent?

TherealFelix18

I agree with kingf000 above. I would suggest an 8'6" #4 though. Great for rivers and small still waters and will keep you going until rod no.3 😂
Haha I guess you can never have enough. So would a shorter rod have the advantage of not catching as much on your back cast?

Tangled

Bewl used to be fantastic, I fished it a lot years ago when I lived in London but it's now an "any method" lake which most of us sniff at. Must be 10 years since I fished there, maybe there'll be someone here with more up to date info.

Brick Farm is a good, small, put-and-take fishery, the kind of place you see Peter Cockwill reviewing every month in Trout and Salmon mag. You'd use a #5 rod there :cool:

Last edited:

kingf000

Haha I guess you can never have enough. So would a shorter rod have the advantage of not catching as much on your back cast?
More that a shorter rod doesn't catch on the overhead trees. The video on the club site looks as though the guy is using an 8ft rod?

roger h 10

Thanks very much for the offer! I'll be sure to drop you a line when I move.

What are your favourite spots in the area? I've heard of Bewl, Brick Farm, Spring Hill, Chalybeate and Lakedown in terms of stillwaters and the Teise for rivers.
I've fished all of these waters plus quite a few others in the area. The Teise is a members only water. What part of Kent are you moving to?

iainmortimer

Bewl used to be fantastic, I fished it a lot years ago when I lived in London but is now an "any method" lake. It's still fished but you don't hear much about it anymore. Must be ten years since I fished there. Brick Farm is a good, small, put-and-take fishery, the kind of place you see Peter Cockwill reviewing every month in Trout and Salmon mag. You'd use a #5 rod there :cool:
You could add Tenterden Trout Waters to that list too. Another very well run venue, very scenic and at times in summer you will see the steam train run past. Generally good fly hatches too.