Second fly rod

Bewl used to be fantastic, I fished it a lot years ago when I lived in London but is now an "any method" lake. Must be 10 years since I fished there, maybe there'll be someone here with more uptown date info. Brick Farm is a good, small, put-and-take fishery, the kind of place you see Peter Cockwill reviewing every month in Trout and Salmon mag. You'd use a #5 rod there :cool:
Ah that's a shame. I remember picking up the Trout Fisherman top 100 thing a few years ago and Bewl was top 30 if I remember correctly.

My nan actually lives down near Eastbourne so I've fished Brick Farm a few times on holidays. Caught my bag quite comfortably in the Christmas Holidays on black and green montanas but only one in Summer.

hooferinsane

+1 for tenterden trout fishery, competitively priced and some big rainbows. Intermediate line is working well there at present.

iainmortimer

Ah yeah I picked up one of their leaflets. Forgot to mention them in my list!
Have a look at the Sussex Piscatorial Society. Not much over £300 a year which will get you access to the Tiese, 6 small stillwaters and very reduced fees for the Itchen and Test in Hampshire. One of the lakes is only 30 minutes drive from T.Wells, maybe less and three more not much further.

Tangled

Haha yeah it was certainly tricky. I still fancy having a go though. Do reservoirs fish better than small waters in summer?
It depends. Arlington reservoir - sadly now closed - had to shut in the summer as the fish just died every year. Bewl used to get very low and then algal blooms. Small trout waters can get weed and lose oxygen.

On the other some fish well early in the morning and late in the evening with some good dry fly fishing. But generally it's hard.

roadrunner1000

Bewl still fishes well but you don't get the large overwintered fish these days since the rearing cages were put out of action (cost saving reasons so understandable). Hot summers can be an issue so July,August and September can be hard going unless you boat fish at 30-40 deep in the main bowl.

Have a look at the Sussex Piscatorial Society. Not much over £300 a year which will get you access to the Tiese, 6 small stillwaters and very reduced fees for the Itchen and Test in Hampshire. One of the lakes is only 30 minutes drive from T.Wells, maybe less and three more not much further.
Good stuff I'll have to check them out. What are the stillwaters called?

Bewl still fishes well but you don't get the large overwintered fish these days since the rearing cages were put out of action (cost saving reasons so understandable). Hot summers can be an issue so July,August and September can be hard going unless you boat fish at 30-40 deep in the main bowl.
I've heard some people say Bewl is a good reservoir for bank fishing. Shame that I'll have to fish so deep out in the middle when I move nearby this summer

It depends. Arlington reservoir - sadly now closed - had to shut in the summer as the fish just died every year. Bewl used to get very low and then algal blooms. Small trout waters can get weed and lose oxygen.

On the other some fish well early in the morning and late in the evening with some good dry fly fishing. But generally it's hard.
Oh wow Arlington's closed? I heard a few people mention it in conversation when I went to Brick Farm before.

Rhithrogena

Haha I guess you can never have enough. So would a shorter rod have the advantage of not catching as much on your back cast?
Short is good on streams with tree cover. Actually 8'6" seems to be a sweet spot for most casters, longer than this and leverage can work against you if you don't have the right technique, which is tiring. It's intuitive to think longer rods cast further but it's not straightforward....

Short is good on streams with tree cover. Actually 8'6" seems to be a sweet spot for most casters, longer than this and leverage can work against you if you don't have the right technique, which is tiring. It's intuitive to think longer rods cast further but it's not straightforward....
I'll have to consider it. Guess in terms of rivers it's between a 9' weight 5 and 8'6 weight 4. Although the 5 may be more versatile for small still waters.

roadrunner1000

I've heard some people say Bewl is a good reservoir for bank fishing. Shame that I'll have to fish so deep out in the middle when I move nearby this summer
Bank fishing at Bewl is good from opening day (mid March) up to early June depending on the weather in May. Is still fishes very early mornings in the summer but come mid July into August you probably won't get a pull.
Bank sport picks up again late October/early November and can be good into January. I've never fished Bewl in February (closes Feb 21st) but shouldn't be any different , although less fish around as stocking ceases in November.

Rhithrogena

I'll have to consider it. Guess in terms of rivers it's between a 9' weight 5 and 8'6 weight 4. Although the 5 may be more versatile for small still waters.
a 9' #5 is a heavy rod for small rivers. OK for small still waters, but so is the 8'6" #4.
I just think you have more bases covered with a bigger gap between sizes than just 2 line sizes. For small fly imitative fishing the lighter rod will be perfect, river or lake, even BIG lakes and you have the #7 for anything with bigger flies or longer range. Way more versatile methinks. Or just get a 9' #5 AND a 7'6"#3 😂😂

Bank fishing at Bewl is good from opening day (mid March) up to early June depending on the weather in May. Is still fishes very early mornings in the summer but come mid July into August you probably won't get a pull.
Bank sport picks up again late October/early November and can be good into January. I've never fished Bewl in February (closes Feb 21st) but shouldn't be any different , although less fish around as stocking ceases in November.
I think I'll move in mid-August-early September. I guess I'll have to see whether Bewl or the small lakes are fishing well then but everyone in this thread has agreed it will be hard.

Latest posts