Second rod

hobnobdude

Mike,
Whether this or that rod casts it's 'true' weight (no such thing...), is something you won't be able to discriminate until you have cast lots of rods, and moved further along your casting learning-curve. Literally ANY modern rod will be fabtastic - even the £30 ones (esp. the Maxcatch ones...)
Don't think about it too much & get a cheap rod, reel and line and learn to cast well enough to be able to understand it's strengths and weaknesses. Along the way try as many rods as you can and start saving to replace the cheapo one with something you KNOW that YOU like.

There is no other way, you cannot rely on opinions of others when buying rods. You have to try them. And you have to know what you are doing when you do.

Spend some of the money you save on casting lessons. If you are any where near Cornwall, I will happily give you some free tips. I used to instruct in a former life....

Rich
Yeah I understand what you are saying and it is my intention to get some tuition once covid sorts its life out!
I'm local to Bristol, so a fair way from Cornwall but thank you for your offer.
My casting so far isn't the best. I can do my version of the double haul, after watching Hywel Morgan's tutorial on YouTube many times!

The 7wt Shakespeare does feel like a powerful rod is all, hence fancying a lighter rod to pair with it when weather conditions are more favourable!

devondabbler

It's funny you should mention a Vision Onki in a 10' #5 as I was just going to suggest this as a possibility - I've not tried one but I've only heard good reports on this rod.
I personally don't think you will necessarily get more range from a 10' rod over a 9' - A lot is down to personal preference and casting style - I actually get on better with a 9'6" rod on the reservoirs.
If you get a chance and can wait until lockdown is over, it might be worth trying a few rods out before buying.

Good luck with the search,

Paul

Rhithrogena

Yeah I understand what you are saying and it is my intention to get some tuition once covid sorts its life out!
I'm local to Bristol, so a fair way from Cornwall but thank you for your offer.
My casting so far isn't the best. I can do my version of the double haul, after watching Hywel Morgan's tutorial on YouTube many times!

The 7wt Shakespeare does feel like a powerful rod is all, hence fancying a lighter rod to pair with it when weather conditions are more favourable!
Good luck with it all and tight lines.
Counterintuitively a lighter line often cuts through wind better due to having less air resistance so you might prefer your #5 on the breezy days. So called 'windcutter' lines have a lighter, longer tip, with a slightly heavier belly and work well 😉

hobnobdude

It's a shame that veals in Bristol closed down last year, they had a great fly fishing section. I'll likely have to travel a fair way to find a decent tackle shop to be able to choose a fly rod the old fashioned way. I.e not scouring forums and the internet!

Good luck with it all and tight lines.
Counterintuitively a lighter line often cuts through wind better due to having less air resistance so you might prefer your #5 on the breezy days. So called 'windcutter' lines have a lighter, longer tip, with a slightly heavier belly and work well 😉
Interesting! Noted :)

jc123

if you like the agility 2 you've then got the 9ft #5 is alot lighter, as is the 9ft #6, if you go up to 9ft 6" & over then they jump up 20 grams'ish, john norris had them about £50, usually every week they have a 10% off deal so its a cheap rod.
personally i prefer 9ft rods, certainly in the budget of my rods anyway, but that does'nt mean you would.
The greys Gr40 someone mentioned is a nice rod for the money too

Rhithrogena

I forgot to recommend looking at #4 rods too. They are the 'new #5' for a lot of folk. I did 90% of my fishing last year on 2 rods - Maxcatch Eco 8'6" #4 and Alexa 3XT 9'#4. Considerably less than £100 for the pair and they are great. 75% of my fishing is at Colliford - right on top of Bodmin Moor; it's huge, with no trees and always windy. I found #4 lines even better for cutting the wind than my #5 lines, esp with the Aleka which is pretty fast, allowing easy loop control.

rusty

I agree that to complement your 10ft #7 rod with a #5 would be a good move.
My only suggestion is that you consider a 91/2 ft rod rather than a 9ft rod for the venues you have mentioned. Based on my experiences.

Rusty

hobnobdude

Yeh I hear what you are saying, my #7 is 9ft 6" also.
However the range of 5wts available at 9ft 6 isn't huge. Certainly not many of the reccomended rods anyway.

I don't mind owning lots of different outfits eventually so maybe 9ft or 10ft doesn't really matter at this stage, I can gap fill if I feel one doesn't do a particular task too well?

Interesting about the 4wt suggestion..

I have found the agility 2 for under £55. Which is rather good. Aleka are around the same. My initial go to was the bloke xl50 self build route, but if it's going to be more like a 6 it sort of misses the point of a lighter 5wt!

hobnobdude

If anyone is interested, I decided to stick to the plan of a 9ft 5wt agility 2, paired with a Snowbee classic 2 5/6 reel. I've also got a maxcatch gold 5wt floating line coming.

So a setup for under £90. My plan is to use it alongside my 7wt and at the end of the season when I'll have significantly more fly casting experience, I'll decide if the light or heavy approach works best for me. I am hoping the former but we will see.

Cheers all

Rhithrogena

If anyone is interested, I decided to stick to the plan of a 9ft 5wt agility 2, paired with a Snowbee classic 2 5/6 reel. I've also got a maxcatch gold 5wt floating line coming.

So a setup for under £90. My plan is to use it alongside my 7wt and at the end of the season when I'll have significantly more fly casting experience, I'll decide if the light or heavy approach works best for me. I am hoping the former but we will see.

Cheers all
I think you have chosen well. Enjoy your new outfit 👍

hobnobdude

Christened it today with a pair of Chew Valley rainbows, 3lb 3 and 3lb 4oz.
Felt brilliant playing such fish on a 5wt noodle... :)
I took the 7wt with me as well, the 5wt felt night and day different, very pleasant to use.

Didn't stop my lack of experience getting me into numerous tangles though! :) Now lockdown is easing it is time to look for an instructor in the Bristol area (if anyone knows anybody?).

I have a guy I used to see for casting lessons for sea fishing, who does a lot of fly fishing so am tempted to go to him for some help, though he's not a qualified fly casting instructor per say.
Would I be wise to seek out a qualified instructor rather than an experienced fly angler?

Latest posts