Second World War Novels

darrener

If you consider it started before 1939 (indeed, there were some first signs in Spain...), then go to Hemingway's "For whom the bell tolls".
May be you can find "The silence of the sea" by Vercors, dealing with German occupation in France.

If you're interested in the other party point of view, let's try "'The kindly ones" by Jonathan Little( big book, will keep you busy for a while), or also "Death is my trade", by Robert Merle.

R
Started in 1937 in China

esk

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by EB Sledge.

Quartered Safe Out Here by George MacDonald Fraser

Vermontdrifter

Just finished up, ‘And No Birds Sang’, by Farley Mowat. His memoir of the fighting in Sicily and Italy as a member of the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment of the Canadian army. Very powerful and raw book.

jaybeegee

‘A Doctor’s Sword’ by Bob Jackson, not a novel but the story of Aidan MacCarthy an Irish MO in the British army during WW11. He was evacuated from Dunkirk early in the war and among other things survived the devastation of Nagasaki as a POW....an astonishing man.
B

4wings

I once read a book about the Pathologists at work in London during the Blitz
but I cannot find it and I have been looking for years.
Here are some of the other books I have read.

The Last Fighting Tommy Harry Patch
All Hell Let Loose Max Hastings
Exercise Tiger Richard T Bass
D Day Stephen Ambrose
Wild Blue Stephen Ambrose
Band of Brothers Stephen Ambrose
Lorenz Capt. Jerry Roberts
The Vintage Book of War Stories Sebastian Foulks
Bird Song Sebastian Foulks

diawl bach

I like alternative history novels, Albert Hall, master of the genre, explores the possibilities of the Fuhrer's experiences with dairy farming in "Hitler Has Only Got One Bull". Similarly Douglas Bader's "Reach for the Sty" explores related themes but from a British perspective.

Last edited:

Vermontdrifter

I like alternative history novels, Albert Hall, master of the genre, explores the possibilities of the Fuhrer's experiences with dairy farming in "Hitler Has Only Got One Bull". Similarly Douglas Bader's "Reach for the Sty" explores related themes but from a British perspective.
If you like alternative histories then check out Harry Turtledove. Did a complete series from pre-WW I through WW II on the premise that the confederacy backed by the U.K. and France won the American Civil War.

diawl bach

If you like alternative histories then check out Harry Turtledove. Did a complete series from pre-WW I through WW II on the premise that the confederacy backed by the U.K. and France won the American Civil War.
Nice one.