Selected hooks sizes

JobberDun

Following on from a previous post of mine, I was wondering how many flies on different hook sizes would be the norm?

Would three hook sizes be the norm? For example, a size 14, size 12 and a size 10 hook for the same fly.

Even as a beginner I am amassing a pretty large collection of flies. So would it be good for me to have one of each fly in a different hook size.

What do people do?

Russ

boisker

This relates to rivers, can’t really comment on still-waters...
I carry 14, 16, 18’s... as I tie my own I’d usually have 6 of each with me... I’d also carry size 20’s but usually only 3 or so.... and a few 12’s.
the size I fish most often would be a 16.
i have about 5 or 6 key dry/emerger patterns..(I carry more patterns than this, as I usually have a few ‘new’ ones that I am trying) i would usually carry a couple of colours in each size.. to represent very light and dark coloured flies...I would suggest don’t buy or tie loads of different patterns initially... you’ll spend half your time changing fly patterns and never develop confidence in them... learn to fish and get confidence in a few key patterns.

m r roid

I tend to tie in 2, sometimes 3 hook sizes. No more than 3 though.......
That's not to say it's wrong to do so 😊

BobP

Depends on the fly. Some flies just seem to sit better on a certain hook size. For example, diawl bachs to me seem to sit better and work better on a 12. I do have a number of fly pattern on 10's down to 14's but the largest don't seem to see water that often. Early season if I want to go deep off the bank or sometimes from an anchored boat.

Cap'n Fishy

Following on from a previous post of mine, I was wondering how many flies on different hook sizes would be the norm?

Would three hook sizes be the norm? For example, a size 14, size 12 and a size 10 hook for the same fly.

Even as a beginner I am amassing a pretty large collection of flies. So would it be good for me to have one of each fly in a different hook size.

What do people do?

Russ
I think you will gradually style it out with growing experience. For each fly you use, you will find you are catching 80% of your fish with one size, 15% with one size up and down, and 5% with 2 or more sizes up and down. Those figures totally made up, but you get the idea. 😜

So, once you have tied a couple of the largest and the smallest sizes, they will sit in the box waiting for that rainy day when you reach for them... and so you don't need to tie them up regularly. The one that catches you 80% is the one you need to stock up on.

If that makes sense... ?

For example, the size 14 and size 6 Kate McLaren muddlers in my box were all tied about 20 years ago and I haven't needed to tie any since. Whereas, I've just recently tied a dozen size 10s to stock up for the new season.

It's a Bell Curve thing, or a 'normal distribution'. 🤭

Col

PaulD

It very much depends upon where you fish.

On a river there will be times where particular flies will be hatching and at those times it pays to have a suitable representative in a couple of sizes for those insects.

On a still water it pays to have flies representing the life cycle of the midge in a good range of say, 10 to 12 would probably cover the bases.

Paul_B

I have varying sizes to suit the season but most of mine are below a 10, check out the size of fly on your water and let them guide you.

doobrysnatcher

i used to tie in 12 and 14 but just recently i went to 10s reason been i used up the smaller feathers on my capes and now the flies look a bit more proportinate to the hook siz,e for loughs my average would be tying 10 12 for rivers 14 12 s but on occasions i tie 16s
most reciepes state the recommended hook sizes and i usually lean towards the middle but like wise
try to match the hatch in your waters
sizes.jpg

ps in ref your op i usually tie 2-3 of the recommended middle size and 2 either above or bellow so thats 4 -5 of each pattern but that usually depends on available tying materials for me

Last edited: