Selection of flies

JobberDun

What\How many flies do you have when visiting a Stillwater fishery?

On each visit I seem to acquire more flies, a little bit like floats when I was coarse fishing!

I really enjoy dry fly fishing, so I have a small box full of dry flies.

There is also a selection of Cats Whiskers and also Bloodworms.

Realistically, what type of flies should I have and how many of each.

Russ

BobP

Let's put it this way, my buzzer box holds about 500 flies. That is the predominant way I fish these days so I have black and pheasant tail buzzers in sizes 10 to 16 and unweighted to 2.8mm tungsten beads in black, copper and silver. That's an awful lot of "floats" to buy so I suggest you start tying your own.

JobberDun

Thanks BobP, I certainly have a long way to go to catch up with your collection.

At the moment I probably have around one hundred flies.

As to your suggestion about learning to tie my own flies, that is taken care off with my Christmas present for this year.

I can see no greater pleasure than catching a fish with a fly I have tied myself, and even better if it is a dry fly.

Russ

codyarrow

100 is plenty if you have variety. I try to carry as little as possible fishing from the bank; that's the theory anyway: I still seem to carry enough ironmongery, line, accessories and nets to get the A team out of a tight spot.;)

BobP

Thanks BobP, I certainly have a long way to go to catch up with your collection.

At the moment I probably have around one hundred flies.

As to your suggestion about learning to tie my own flies, that is taken care off with my Christmas present for this year.

I can see no greater pleasure than catching a fish with a fly I have tied myself, and even better if it is a dry fly.

Russ
Be aware that tying flies will become as great or greater an obsession than fishing with them. Do not forget either that flexibility is the key in fishing. Even if your passion is fishing with dries it is not much point if the fish are stuffing buzzers 10' down.

tangled

We don't actually need a lot of flies but we all have them. But I suspect most of us only use a fraction of what they carry.

For small catch and kill fisheries I'd only need a few dries - daddy, klinkhammer, sedge, cdc buzzer, suspender buzzer; various buzzers - size, colour, weight; marabou damsels in green, brown and black; a small booby damsel to be fished slowly on a sinking line when fish are deep. And a few Diawl bachs. But of course I have an awful lot more...

BobP

There is nothing worse that only having two or three of a given pattern/size/colour. The first one catches a fish, so confidence is high. Five minutes later a tree claims that fly. Confidence is only slightly dented as you have two more. One more fish to the replacement and then a hard take parts the leader and you are now down to one fly that you have confidence in. Worry now sets in and confidence drains away.

Always have more of a pattern/size/weight/colour than you actually need because one day fish will shred that one fly and your confidence will dissipate like morning mist.

taffy1

.................Realistically, what type of flies should I have and how many of each.

Russ
That depends very much on the prevailing conditions/time of year etc. Varying sizes of particular patterns, possibly half a dozen patterns of each particular size. So, in that theme, if you have say, pheasant tail nymphs (as an example) in 16,14,12 & 10 then your box should contain 24 pheasant tail nymphs. Realistically, it's very much up to you as to how many flies you want to take.

flyfisher222

Banned
Banned
By many people's standards very few. One mid-size black Wheatley box (the one about five inches long with two ribbed foam panels). Five or six of each of my favourite patterns plus a few odds and ends. I've never counted but I guess less than 70 flies in total.

I dislike collecting 'gear' and dislike carrying it about even more, though in a weak moment I did buy a fishing waistcoat which I only ever used once. What little I carry goes in supermarket 'cargo' trousers, except the rod and net of course.

I seem to catch roughly the same number/size of fish as everyone else.

(I fish the chalkstreams too. That box, with even less flies, is silver so I don't take the wrong one by mistake and have to come back home to get the right one. I leave the spare pool with the sinking line at home.)

Last edited: