Selectivity

jack58

An interesting book well written with plenty of anecdotes and some good photos. The book takes a firm stand against the growing emphasis of presentation over fly tying accuracy. This is not a book which I will re read often (unlike Bob Wyatt's, Peter Hayes & Paul Schullery for instance). I did find the flies and their recipes interesting. The author admits to being heavily influenced by other luminaries who are in the fly accuracy camp, and has obviously been stung by the change in philosophy. I am nowhere near competent enough to judge which, if either, of these is paramount, I hope it is the presentationist because I am not that good a fly tier! However, reading the book does present another argument where we are engaged in a battle of wits with a cunning and worthy adversary. The author believes the target may be in one of three states;
aggressive/active, selective/reflective or passive/dormant and discusses particular tactics and flies for each.
In the end I enjoyed reading the book without necessarily agreeing, but there again the authors C.V. is a lot more impressive than mine.

psmith

presentation over accuracy, interesting.

I think a lot depends upon where you fish.

possibly Hampshire was the home of imitation yet the hatches are no longer what they were, so selectivity is a lesser issue.

fishing pressure will cause spooky behaviour and finicky feeding. on one prime beat I found that "special" mayfly patterns were needed two or three days into feeding, otherwise the fish would flee in terror.

eventually, due to the anti-stocking ethos, the dwindling pool of trout in the aquarium behaved likewise to 18 ptn's.

out on a wave on a braw wee loch I expect presentation is the more pertinent, though that is an assumption I have no intention of testing.

I'll look out for the book.