SEPA and sewage similar in nature.

speytime

I'm absolutely frigging fuming, the river was polluted with the water treatment plant that's on the river bank back march.
When I arived at the river Wed/Thurs I could smell raw sewage, when I got to one of the outlets it had a stream of grey stinking water coming out and another major outlet one 50 yards down the river.
I reported it to SEPA at 5.58pm... after what felt like the 3rd degree he said he'd report it, i was on the river until darkness and no one SEPA arived.
Why do I get the feeling that they just don't give one?
Ime there an absolute waste of time calling 😡 Wtf do we have them if they rarely act, spending 15 minutes on a phone reporting it isn't everyone's cup of tea either.

Reactions: atr

colliedog

I'm absolutely frigging fuming, the river was polluted with the water treatment plant that's on the river bank back march.
When I arived at the river Wed/Thurs I could smell raw sewage, when I got to one of the outlets it had a stream of grey stinking water coming out and another major outlet one 50 yards down the river.
I reported it to SEPA at 5.58pm... after what felt like the 3rd degree he said he'd report it, i was on the river until darkness and no one SEPA arived.
Ime there an absolute waste of time calling 😡 Wtf do we have them if they rarely act, spending 15 minutes on a phone reporting it isn't everyone's cup of tea either.
Al, you have done your bit, but if you want to take it further then follow it up in writing (even better if the discharge is continuing, make a second complaint. Ask for details of the inspectors visit report, what immediate action they took and what their long term prevention plan is. Get your fellow club members to do the same.

I am not sure how SEPA is structured these days. Used to be on a catchment basis covered by the West Lothian team. Find out who the local inspector or team leader is and try to get there view. You have dealt with a call centre so far.

Is you club committee involved? They should be kicking off, demanding action. Get nwespapers, local councillors and MPs involved. Generally a useless bunch of c*cks but SEPA really hate when they get involved.

From experience a small group of determined and persistant people who are in the right can have quite an effect.

cheers
John

3lbgrayling

Money driven.If it looks like it will cost them some funds they just lose the complaint.I think they really have a cheek calling themselves Environmental ''Protection'' agency.My on the water experiences with them have been very poor.
Money Money Money.(n)

Jim

Wee Jimmy

Grim.....I’ve had similar waste of time and effort experiences with them .I was forever reporting sewage and diesel spillages on the WoL .I would have been as well stapling my knackers to the mantelpiece for all the good it did...☹

colliedog

Aye, it's only when you get those that put the sh*tes up them involved that anything will happen. East Calder STW (go easy on the T) has been allowed to have a shocking record for decades.

the kids paddling in the raw sewage angle would play well in the local press. Coordinated pressure reqired.

tingvollr

Very sorry to hear this news. It would take the forces of all the angling clubs to get anything done about it. As Jim says they will just bury the complaint if they think it will cost too much money.

Latest posts