Serbian rivers

oholi

Drina​

well, this river is the biigest one in Serbia with nice population of grayling. There are also brown trout there, but it is rarely caught but they grow up to 7-8kg. Drina is most famous by Hucho, they grow up to 30kg. Now to be honest, last ten years Drina is suffering from lack of respect from people living there, us fishermans, industry... But big as it is, with a lot of food fot its inhabitants, it stil holds lot of fish, often gigantic. (biggest grayling 2years ago was 56cm long, on a dry fly).

most of fly fishermans use only dry fly here, from size 12 to 22. Distance casting is needed here, most of our casts are 15m up to 25m. Currents are very strong so we must be careful, especially when water level grows up due to power plants upstream.
There are very few people that can say they are successful when using nymphs here. I am not among them.

Best flies are: small cdc ephemeras mostly green. Hot butt caddis (orange or red butt, peacock body and for wings cdc or deer hair), smallest of flies are often some yellow colour or gray....

now some photos :)

my biggest grayling...

Drina is the most beautifull just before winter, lot of colours, low waterlevel, grayling fishing is best at that time.

this is shot from a mountain, looking down where is supposed to be drina valey, dense fog in the morning is almost every day as the winter is aproaching...

this is my very first grayling, considered to be small on Drina, but average on other rivers.

oholi

River Veliki Rzav​

maybe one of my favourite rivers. Originally some time ago there was only chub and a lot of trout there to fish. Now people added grayling, i think in '70. Grayling found great conditions for life there so now after 5-10 graylings comes one trout, usually small one.

Here grayling is weird fish. Only here it prefers big, trout flies :). it is always located in "white water". So nymphing is the best option or dry flies size 12-10 rarely 16

maybe the best looking grayling in Serbia :)

average trout

this river is not spared from misbehaving and people trying to destroy it, but two canyons still produce enough fish to have steady solid population

Last edited:

tommylee

Hello everyone, as Oholi and I fish the same waters.

Gradac :

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Catch my friend:

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Drina:

Drina summer and the lowest water level:

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

tommylee

Strong and fast river.Big problem is abruput change of level water.Main quiltyu of hydropower stations!

Small grayling take every opportunity to pick up your fly:

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Fall best time for grayling.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Large rock in the water a good place for grayling.

oholi

well, Gradac is good choice, it has nice population of fish, it still has great deal of wilderness but there are places that are easy to approach...river is perfect for most of the people

tommylee

Drina.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Bwo

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Morning with fog

falsecast

Some wondeful trouty looking rivers on this thread. Please keep the pictures coming, will give me something to dream about in the winter months ahead.