Serious Fishing

Cam

Anyone have recent experience from dealing with Serious Fishing?

I ordered 3 items, all indicated as in stock on the 22nd July. The order is showing as in progress on my account and they have not answered either of my two e-mails requesting an update on my order status. Their phone nmber is an answer phone directing you to send an e-mail :confused::confused:

Cam

speytime

Anyone have recent experience from dealing with Serious Fishing?

I ordered 3 items, all indicated as in stock on the 22nd July. The order is showing as in progress on my account and they have not answered either of my two e-mails requesting an update on my order status. Their phone nmber is an answer phone directing you to send an e-mail :confused::confused:

Cam
Yes I got the same treatment and ended up getting a refund via PayPal after 3+ weeks.
I asked about other people's experiences and on the whole it wasn't good.

Al

boisker

Yes I got the same treatment and ended up getting a refund via PayPal after 3+ weeks.
I asked about other people's experiences and on the whole it wasn't good.

Al
up until my last purchase they had always been good... last one was quite slow, I emailed (life’s too short when your at work all day to fit in chasing people on the phone)... they got back after a couple of days apologising, “orders are a bit slow due to Covid”.... but it arrived, just took a couple of weeks...

sculpin_crusader

Guess I may as well order from somewhere else rather than waiting, doesn't sound promising. Luckily I also used paypal.

Cam

They have eventually sent me a despatch notification.

I have ordered twice from them and on both occasions had to wait for items that were marked as "in stock" but not actually in stock. If you need something quickly then you may be best looking elsewhere

anzac

I've had several emails from them regarding a pending order. Each explained that they were operating with restrictions and having supply chain problems thanks to the pandemic. Off their own bat, they also refunded the cost of items that they won't be able to get be able to get in a timely manner.

esk1

Waited six weeks for items that were showing as in stock.
Money refunded via PayPal.
Esk1.

elver1

Six weeks after placing an order and loads of emails my order finally arrived!

crazyfool92

Yea, they're one of my local shops, during this whole lockdown their customer service has been absolutely atrocious. As other posters have pointed out their website stock checker doesn't work, you place an order and you get an email maybe a week later stating that they don't have any of the items you requested. And of course there's supply chain issues, but update your website to let potential customers know what's in stock and what's not.

My last few interactions with them has definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Communication is key, it's not difficult.

roger h 10

Unfortunately they're not alone. This is exactly what happened to me when dealing with Serious Fishing and Fly Only.
I now have a similar issue with Funky Fly Tying. I have used them regularly since they moved to Kelso and up until now they have been excellent, however my last order was posted on Monday 27th July and hasn't arrived. I have e mailed them twice and phoned them 3 times,e mails have not been answered and the phone eventually goes to answerphone so I have been left with no alernative than to open a Paypal dispute against them.
I know that there is a problem with my local sorting office as was confirmed to me yesterday by a friend of mine who is a postman but that doesn't excuse not responding to a customer, or are they all so inundated by delivery enquiries that they just can't cope with it all.

baca157

You can add Anglers Corner to the list. I ordered kids waders from them over a week ago, chased after a week only to be told that they were sorry but the waders are out of stock and my order has been refunded. If I wouldn’t chase up, I would probably still be waiting.

Strange you had issue with Funky Fly Tying. I ordered from them last week and got my order next day! Saying that, I had similar experience with them not answering emails few months ago. I honestly don’t get it, what is the point on having email if no one bothers to check it? It just frustrates people and leaves bad taste in the mouth. You would think that, in these difficult times, all business will be doing what they can to hold on to their customers. Communicating with customers about their orders is basic customer service.

I also don‘t understand how in this day and age, an eCommerce business (regardless of whether they have a physical shop or not) can oversell their stock. Modern eCommerce solutions prevent this happening. You can sell on multiple platforms and have a one stock management system which connects to everything, including your physical shop’s point of sale system. I know this as I run a small eCommerce business myself, and in 5 years of operating, we never sold anything we didn‘t have in stock. Supply issues have nothing to do with this.

I also had a bad experience with The Essential Fly last year. I placed an order and when it didn’t arrive after 10 days from dispatch, I contacted them. They replied that it was posted 1st class so I asked for 2D bar code (issued for all Royal Mail parcels) and as a reply I got a rant about Royal Mail not reimbursing them for lost items and not being able to afford a courier service (they charged me £6 for postage so this is utter ********). They also told me that I’ll have to wait 15 working days before they do anything about it. My order eventually turned up, but I never bought anything from them again. Not because my order was late, but because of the tone of their communication.

I understand very well that whether RM delivers the parcel in time or not is out of seller’s hands but parcels get lost or are delayed very rarely (RM loses maybe 2 or 3 of our parcels for a 1000 delivered). Customers tend to get really annoyed when their goods don’t arrive in time so having confrontational attitude just makes things worse. It costs time, gives bad experience and eventually costs money. Best way of dealing with things like this is to sort things out for the customer - they don’t care about your issues and difficulties. All they care about is whether they get their stuff or not. So sort it, apologise (even if it’s not your fault) and overcompensate the customer (this is the important bit). Companies gain reputation for good customer service on how they deal with issues. Every customer problem is an great opportunity for some really cheap publicity and getting repeat business. In my experience, a customer who had a problem which has been dealt with quickly and well, will recommend you to a lot more people than someone who got their goods on time and didn‘t have any issues.

Another thing that really pisses me off with some businesses operating online is lack of dispatch confirmation emails. It’s a basic automation, you set-it up and it happens automatically. It’s a small thing but is absolutely critical from customer service point of view.

If these businesses don’t survive, they will only have themselves to blame.

Rant over.

Just to balance things out, there are plenty fishing businesses out there who have excellent customer service. Cookshill Fly Tying, Tungsten Beads Plus, Fly Tying Boutique, Trout Catchers, Glasgow Angling Centre to name the few. Never had any issues with them and their customer service is excellent.

Cheers,
Sebastian

roger h 10

Thanks for your post Sebastian, I have also had the same issues as you with Essential Fly so no longer use them.
I agree with your list of excellent suppliers and would add the following to it. Garry Evan's, Danielsson,Lathkill,Lakeland Fly tying,John Norris,Uttings and Anglers Lodge plus a few more that don't instantly spring to mind.

anzac

Sebastian, overselling stock can happen if inventory control is poor -- even if it is computerised. Failing to scan outgoing items is one problem. Another is showing replacement order items in-stock before they actually arrive.

anzac

Thanks for your post Sebastian, I have also had the same issues as you with Essential Fly so no longer use them.
I agree with your list of excellent suppliers and would add the following to it. Garry Evan's, Danielsson,Lathkill,Lakeland Fly tying,John Norris,Uttings and Anglers Lodge plus a few more that don't instantly spring to mind.
Glasgow Angling Centre and Farlow's provide top service as well.

baca157

Sebastian, overselling stock can happen if inventory control is poor -- even if it is computerised. Failing to scan outgoing items is one problem. Another is showing replacement order items in-stock before they actually arrive.
Agree and it’s is all down to poor practices. Adding any items to stock before they even arrive is a recipe for disaster.

Cheers,
Sebastian

baca157

Ha! It wasn‘t just me then. Apologies to Nigel at Lakeland Fly Tying. I compeltely forgot about him and he has given me some excellent service over the years. Same with Lathkill and Anglers Lodge(y)

Cheers,
Sebastian

m r roid

Ha! It wasn‘t just me then. Apologies to Nigel at Lakeland Fly Tying. I compeltely forgot about him and he has given me some excellent service over the years. Same with Lathkill and Anglers Lodge(y)

Cheers,
Sebastian
Yep Nigel at Lakeland, and Chis at Lathkill are both spot on!!!!!

smallmouth

I find Tungsten Beads Plus consistently excellent and I enjoy browsing their website with useful extras such as the hook v bead size charts and product reviews.

Also Troutcatchers and Troutflies UK whom I also regularly buy hooks and some materials from have been excellent.

As one offs over the last 12 months I've also had good service from Lathkills, John Norris, Sportfish and most recently Exeter Angling and Foxons.