Serious Fishing

icaughtafishonce

Anyone have recent experience from dealing with Serious Fishing?

I ordered 3 items, all indicated as in stock on the 22nd July. The order is showing as in progress on my account and they have not answered either of my two e-mails requesting an update on my order status. Their phone nmber is an answer phone directing you to send an e-mail :confused::confused:

Cam
I bought some stuff from them in the lockdown. They took about a month to deliver after saying the item was in stock, but it wasn't in stock. I got a message after a few days and it did eventually turn up. It's just a bit cheeky that they're taking orders (and it still seems that they are) for things that they don't have in stock. Kinda ok in April, but a bit more of an issue in August.

Gdog

I get a feeling of deja vu reading this about peoples experiences with Serious Fishing. I ordered a hat from Serious Country Sports (same company) last year, the website advised it was in stock, I got an email next day confirming my order and another email after 4 days advising the hat was out of stock and would be in stock in a few days. It took 2 weeks to arrive, these guys are only 100 miles up the road. I gave them the benefit of doubt, but after reading this thread, maybe never again.

roger h 10

Well in an endeavour to get round this problem I asked Phil at Fly Tying Boutique to send me a delivery by RM Special Delivery. It was posted yesterday and delivered today :). Also delivered was my order from Funky Flytying and the postmark confirmed that they had indeed sent it on 27th July.
I'm still awaiting a delivery that was posted on 29th July and another on 3rd August, when they turn up is anyones guess, next week hopefully.

sculpin_crusader

Well I guess I can’t complain, the Fishpond gear straps I ordered arrived this morning so they took ten days to get here; at least they arrived before I needed them.

roger h 10

The post is pot luck at the moment. After not having any deliveries in the village for over a week there was a deluge of post last Friday,Saturday and Monday but nothing since. I am still awaiting one delivery from over 2 weeks ago plus some more recent ones.

spotty herbert

Thanks for your post Sebastian, I have also had the same issues as you with Essential Fly so no longer use them.
I agree with your list of excellent suppliers and would add the following to it. Garry Evan's, Danielsson,Lathkill,Lakeland Fly tying,John Norris,Uttings and Anglers Lodge plus a few more that don't instantly spring to mind.
I also had extensive delays ordering online from Essential Fly. The item ordered was not in their stock. They said the delays were outside of their control to be fair and offered a discount on my next order. The delay took so long I contacted PayPal for a refund. After I had the refund the item arrived in their stock so I ordered again and they shipped immediately. I then tried to place a small order online about 12 months later to find they had put a block on my account!! Never had those problems with any other online fishing website.

Sean

thetrouttickler

I used Trout Catchers for the first time last month. Used them twice since. Exceptional, and the order - even when standard delivery is chosen - has been with me the next day every time.

Watch out for businesses making excuses.

roger h 10

I also had extensive delays ordering online from Essential Fly. The item ordered was not in their stock. They said the delays were outside of their control to be fair and offered a discount on my next order. The delay took so long I contacted PayPal for a refund. After I had the refund the item arrived in their stock so I ordered again and they shipped immediately. I then tried to place a small order online about 12 months later to find they had put a block on my account!! Never had those problems with any other online fishing website.

Sean
That's not good,have you tried speaking to them? I had a similar issue with them which could have easily been resolved with an apology, instead the person that I spoke to was very rude and confrontational. I am always polite whether on line or by telephone so was very surprised by this. I haven't used them since,there are plenty of other suppliers out there who are helpful and courteous so why do I need to use any company that isn't?

Cam

I received an e-mail from Serious Fishing apologising for the delay in delivering my order and blaming lack of stock in their warehouse/suppliers. The easy rectification, IMHO, would be to have an up to date stock status. They may lose some business due to lack of availability but would win other business if people were confident that the items were in stock. They also sent me an e-mail asking me to rate their service. I haven't completed it yet !!

spotty herbert

That's not good,have you tried speaking to them? I had a similar issue with them which could have easily been resolved with an apology, instead the person that I spoke to was very rude and confrontational. I am always polite whether on line or by telephone so was very surprised by this. I haven't used them since,there are plenty of other suppliers out there who are helpful and courteous so why do I need to use any company that isn't?[/Hi Roger

After chasing my order, I had phone calls from Essential Fly initially apologising for the delay and offering the next order discount. We had further telephone calls and in the end I got the item I ordered so they made the sale. By blocking my account it seems they don’t want my business any more though!

Cheers

Sean

baca157

I completely forgot about this thread and.......

....placed and order with Serious Fishing this weekend🤦‍♂️ My only excuse is that I was in a hurry as I needed Korkers Devils Canyon Boots quick (present for a friend). They were the only place showing as having them in stock. I originally wanted to get them from the Glasgow Angling Centre but they couldn’t guarantee to get them in time from Guideline. So order placed with Serious Fishing on Saturday along with additional Triple Threat Alu Hex Soles.

On Monday morning I get an email from them advising me that, sadly, they can’t get these soles in UK size 9 from the supplier at the moment, and asking me to choose a different sole. They were showing as in stock on their website - that’s why I ordered from them in the first place! No mention of the boots so I am assuming that their supplier had them in stock (I knew that from the guys and the Glasgow Angling Centre anyway). Long story short, I asked Serious Fishing to cancel the entire order and went back to the Glasgow Angling Centre who ordered the boots for me with a pair of different soles (Can‘t get Alu Hex Soles at all at the moment). They also asked Guideline to expedite the order if possible.

Two things really:
  1. Serious Fishing are misleading their customers. They know fine well that they don’t have certain products in stock
  2. They are doing this on purpose and are not intending to change it - I asked them to remove these soles from their website but they are still showing as in stock in all sizes. Even though they can’t get them in size 9 and 10 from Guideline.
To make matters worse I just re-read this thread and noticed that flyonlyonline also got a mention here and what did I do last week? Yes, I placed an order with them for two spools of 5lb G3 flouro which I can’t seem to get anywhere else. It’s been a week and my order is still showing as “in progress”. I just emailed them asking for update. Will see what they say. But not holding my breath...

I now started a “do not use even if desperate” list of fishing businesses which I will keep handy from now on.

Rant over.

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S. Another example of amazing customer service from the Glasgow Angling Centre who never overpromise but very often overdeliver.

Last edited:

Cam

I completely forgot about this thread and.......

....placed and order with Serious Fishing this weekend🤦‍♂️ My only excuse is that I was in a hurry as I needed Korkers Devils Canyon Boots quick (present for a friend). They were the only place showing as having them in stock. I originally wanted to get them from the Glasgow Angling Centre but they couldn’t guarantee to get them in time from Guideline. So order placed with Serious Fishing on Saturday along with additional Triple Threat Alu Hex Soles.

On Monday morning I get an email from them advising me that, sadly, they can’t get these soles in UK size 9 from the supplier at the moment, and asking me to choose a different sole. They were showing as in stock on their website - that’s why I ordered from them in the first place! No mention of the boots so I am assuming that their supplier had them in stock (I knew that from the guys and the Glasgow Angling Centre anyway). Long story short, I asked Serious Fishing to cancel the entire order and went back to the Glasgow Angling Centre who ordered the boots for me with a pair of different soles (Can‘t get Alu Hex Soles at all at the moment). They also asked Guideline to expedite the order if possible.

Two things really:
  1. Serious Fishing are misleading their customers. They know fine well that they don’t have certain products in stock
  2. They are doing this on purpose and are not intending to change it - I asked them to remove these soles from their website but they are still showing as in stock in all sizes. Even though they can’t get them in size 9 and 10 from Guideline.
To make matters worse I just re-read this thread and noticed that flyonline also got a mention here and what did I do last week? Yes, I placed an order with them for two spools of 5lb G3 flouro which I can’t seem to get anywhere else. It’s been a week and my order is still showing as “in progress”. I just emailed them asking for update. Will see what they say. But not holding my breath...

I now started a “do not use even if desperate” list of fishing businesses which I will keep handy from now on.

Rant over.

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S. Another example of amazing customer service from the Glasgow Angling Centre who never overpromise but very often overdeliver.
Despite my better judgement I ordered some Fluorocarbon tippet from Serious on the 20th August, again it was down as in stock !!

I tried several e-mails and their phone number to get in touch without any success so I opened a case with Paypal. Serious responded within 24 hrs, advising that the item was out of stock and they didn't know when it would be in. They also stated that they were receiving a high volume of e-mails hence their lack of response. I requested a refund.

If it hadn't been for Paypal I reckon radio silence would have continued. I will not be placing any future orders with them

baca157

Despite my better judgement I ordered some Fluorocarbon tippet from Serious on the 20th August, again it was down as in stock !!

I tried several e-mails and their phone number to get in touch without any success so I opened a case with Paypal. Serious responded within 24 hrs, advising that the item was out of stock and they didn't know when it would be in. They also stated that they were receiving a high volume of e-mails hence their lack of response. I requested a refund.

If it hadn't been for Paypal I reckon radio silence would have continued. I will not be placing any future orders with them
At least with me they replied straight away and processed the refund on the same day (not got it to my bank account yet though). I actually find this "high volume of emails" complete bullshit. If they can't deal with incoming emails, they should employ more people. Or do something even better - stop claiming they have stuff in stock when they clearly don't. That way they will get a lot fewer emails from unhappy customers.

Got a reply from Fly Only Online saying they processed a refund. No explanation, no apology - just a refund notification. They clearly didn't have that G3 in stock (no one has) and had no intention of letting me know.

On a separate note. I noticed one thing - their order page looks exactly the same as Serious Fishing... Probably a coincidence but thought I'd mention this anyway in case both businesses are somehow connected.

The worse thing about it all is that it cost so much time for both sides to deal with issues that shouldn't happen at all....

Cheers,
Sebastian

Last edited: