Seven Oaks Fishery, Vale of Glamorgan

TroutAtlas

Seven Oaks Fishery, Talygarn, nr Pontyclun, Vale of Glamorgan, CF72 9JU (tel: 01446 775474): dt on site for game (dt prices depending on number of fish) and coarse fishing dt; also novice pool for trout, (limit 6 fish); tackle hire and some tackle sold on site, bank only, good access for disabled.

Full Satellite Image and Map (Google)

chunky81

First time to visit seven oaks today and it will be my last, arrived at 8am started fishing shortly after.. there seemed plenty of activity fish raising occasionally. After fishing for about 2hrs an noticing alot of fish raising in the one corner i strolled across to see what was happening, to my horror there was dead fishing rotting and about thirty fish on their last breath... i was netting trout an carp to see what was wrong an theses fish had no eyes an some sort of fungul growing on them... i packed up an approached the owner to make her aware of this and was gobsmacked by her reply that they new there was a problem.. no mention of this wen they took my £16 fee

i left and contacted the enviroment agency and their dealing with it..

by far the worst experince in the 15yrs i been fishing

nathan_1990

That place has gone downhill since terry and june stopped running it, went there about three months back and fish werent in the best condition then

guest21

Been out and about today its the talk on everyones lips,poor and disgrace were but two words mentioned.

tt:):)

chunky81

Disgusting is the word id use never in my life will i fish in seven oaks again and my opinion it should be closed absolute cruelty

nathan1990

It's always best to avoid seven oaks after a prolonged period of heat as the lake water levels drop rapidly. When June and terry owned the lake they used to close it for weeks on end as the fish used to die due to lack of oxygen. I think the lake leaks water so when theres no rain this is why it empties so quickly. It's a decent fishery during the winter with some big fish. However I think it's gone down hill slightly since the introduction of the carp in the main lake the water quality has gone down hill it has become a lot dirtier which has made the fishing harder in my opinion.

Thanks Nathan ps not the same Nathan as the one above:thumbs:

oldandknotted

sad to hear this, used to like my occasional winter afternoon hunting the mythical biguns , if I'd just invested all that cash in a fishing complex I'd make sure I had good technical support, it was for sale for a while for a big chunk of cash...

bstrdmissed

I've had some good days at Sevenoaks(plenty of bad ones too).
The last time I went there was at the start of the hot weather,the water level was very low,James had let it drop because there's several leaks on one bank,which he's trying to fix.
The water was filthy though,I didn't have pull & left after a couple of hours.
Called in a couple of weeks ago as I was passing by & the fly lake was closed,they'd netted about 50 fish the day before there were plenty floating belly up again,others swimming in circles like they'd gone stir crazy,not a nice sight.
I was told they were going to get rid of the dead fish,repair the banks & re-stock once the weather cooled down,I personally think they need to empty it & dredge the place,god knows how many fish have rotted away on the bottom.
As said earlier this is a good winter fishery,I hope James gets things sorted,he's not a bad bloke.

Last edited:

chunky81

Why continue taking fees off people if they know the waters are in such a state thats my question... and when i confronted them the attitude i got was they didn care... looks like to me their in it for one thing an thats the money an not the slightest interest in sorting the issues out

bibbio

Banned
Banned
Why continue taking fees off people if they know the waters are in such a state thats my question... and when i confronted them the attitude i got was they didn care... looks like to me their in it for one thing an thats the money an not the slightest interest in sorting the issues out

I see how you feel however most fisheries run them as a busines not out of the goodness of their heart . How do you know they are not interested in sorting the isues have you been back there to see if there are any updates or changes or is this just your opinion without any proof they have done nothing to improve the situation . May i also ask did you ask for your money to be refunded on the basis of the fish problems ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

chunky81

I have spoke to three people who hav been there prior to my visit and the situation has not changed... i also asked for a refund which was refuse... also i think if its a buisness their running it wont last long with their attitudes

i spoke to two regulars there to who been fishing seven oaks for many years and both said its a disgrace latley since the new takeover

nathan1990

I have spoke to three people who hav been there prior to my visit and the situation has not changed... i also asked for a refund which was refuse... also i think if its a buisness their running it wont last long with their attitudes

i spoke to two regulars there to who been fishing seven oaks for many years and both said its a disgrace latley since the new takeover

I agree that they should of told you the state of the lake prior to fishing so that you could of made your own decision whether to fish or not. it's poor form to take the money knowing there's a problem without informing you. I also agree that they should of refunded your money with the lake in such bad condition.
However I feel it's unfair to blame the water situation on the new owner because this has been a problem that has occurred for many of years. Infact the new owner has done more work on the lake than terry and June was there. He has cut down a lot of trees down on the side of the lake opening up more room that was previously difficult to fish. When I was there few weeks ago he did have two people in looking at the bank to see if they could sort out the leak. Whether any work has been undertaken I don't know. But he does seem to be interested in sorting it out. I hope it all gets sorted soon as you say there's nothing worse than seeing fish belly up or struggling:(.

Nathan

bstrdmissed

I don't think James is making a lot of money there to be fair so people shouldn't think of him as some lord of the manor with his feet up drinking champagne:eek:.
The fishery & bungalow was up for sale for £750,000 & it didn't sell unsurprisingly because I don't think the place would make you a return as a business even if you had a mortgage for half that amount.
What deal he's done financially with Terry & June(his aunt & uncle) I've no idea & it's really none of my business.
I'm not sure about the coarse lake prices but it's around the £8 mark,catch & release on the trout lake is £14,£16 for two fish,£24 for four fish if i'm not mistaken.He buys the trout in as far as I know unlike some who breed from scratch & to be fair the average size of trout caught there is pretty good.
I am surprised it's open though,if it really is that bad he shouldn't be taking peoples money.:(

oldandknotted

or maybe not , looks like a new web site and it says fly lake closed for next few weeks for improvements

News

hopefully it'll be sorted out , kids loved the little trout pond

bibbio

Banned
Banned
Im sure it will there are people on the forum only to glad to see these missfortunes and revel in the fishery closing . Making posts on hearsay seems to be their trend .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts