Seven Oaks Fishery, Vale of Glamorgan

gilfishman

Fished it Wednesday,.....4 hrs session.5 in net.missed about another 5/6 takes.all aprox 2/3 lbs.the water currently is very clear.the fish seem to hug the island,as was surprised how shallow some of the margins are,with no fish holding close in.wear Polaroids you see.i can only imagine it will get even clearer in time,so stand back when fishing.on the far mud bank,u need to cast a long line to have any chance of a hook up,...but down towards out let fish were close in.a good few fish moving,missed 3 on a cdc buzzer.on top.bank side vegetation/ bushes /trees are needed,to give shade on the water and help the angler.

gilfishman

Tbh,..not good,...only seen 1 fish caught bank hol Monday,,,in 5 hrs.i was fishing the carp pond with my 8 yr old son.the water is nice and clear,but when I fished it last the top end by inlet pipe was weeded up bad,the cotton wool type hugging the lake bed...and proved a nightmare for releasing fish as they swam straight in to it and bellied up,,,,so had to retrieved and placed further up where ther was on weed.there's no bank side vegataition and being so clear the fish seem to hugg the island....plus it hadn't been dug out like first thought.

chris10

That don't sound good at all I thought they had dug it quite a few feet deeper! Any particular flies working?

chris10

Managed to go down for a few hours yesterday and blanked :eek:mg: only seen one fish caught was quite a few people fishing,according to the locals that fish there it hasn't been the same since the work done on the lake! But I guess that's to be expected,let's hope it all settles down in the next few months :thumbs:

woollybugger

The lake was dug out, popped down there while they were digging it and took few pics, I think prob is that all manner of life was taken away, all weed taken out so no habitat for fly life,all small fry removed. Just one muddy hole. Will take a year or two for lake to recover. Was suggested to James to get few of the small fish from coarse lake back in trout lake

bstrdmissed

The lake was dug out, popped down there while they were digging it and took few pics, I think prob is that all manner of life was taken away, all weed taken out so no habitat for fly life,all small fry removed. Just one muddy hole. Will take a year or two for lake to recover. Was suggested to James to get few of the small fish from coarse lake back in trout lake

I haven't been there for months for a good reason,putting coarse fish back in there would be going backwards though,the carp were rooting around in the mud,no wonder the water was so dirty before it was dug out.
There's hardly any turnover of fish in there,that's the problem,possibly too small a water for most of the anglers to be doing catch & release?

nathan_1990

Nice to see a good report glad you had a good day welcome to the forum as well

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

chris10

You seem to be having more luck than I did a few weeks back anyway mate keep it up! Think I'm going to give it a bash tomorrow,I will report back tomorrow with a few pics too hopefully :thumbs:

bstrdmissed

You seem to be having more luck than I did a few weeks back anyway mate keep it up! Think I'm going to give it a bash tomorrow,I will report back tomorrow with a few pics too hopefully :thumbs:

Do yourself a favour & try Abernant instead,it's head & shoulders above Sevenoaks mate,the only downside is there's no catch & release there.
You won't want to go to Sevenoaks again.;)

Latest posts