Seven Oaks Fishery, Vale of Glamorgan

Since the improvements of 2013 the lake is now back to good condition and beutifully clear so you can stalk and see the fish refusing your fly.

The owner and his wife are friendly and let you get on with it, the lake isn't huge, thus ok for a dozen or so anglers, the best fishing is on the farmhouse side of the lake.

I fished it earlier in the year where sinking lines and daiwl bachs on slow retreive were best, and again mid june 2014 damsel nymph lures with an intermediate slime line seemed most productive although the fish were spectacularly launching themselves at mature damsels all day.

I caught my brace both times, all fish good condition & approx 3lb

:thumbs:

welshwales

Spent a few hours there today as I had just picked up my new Hardy Sintrix 4# I had purchased from BruceAlmighty. I only went and caught my first ever double!!
Cracking battle and the fish was just in the best condition. Get down there i have seen bigger ones than the one I caught. The water is Gin clear, every fish I have caught has been in top condition and fat as pigs.

Congrats mate :thumbs:

bstrdmissed

I can't help feeling a little bitter on how I've been treated at Sevenoaks this morning.
I went there with forum member 'numpty' & we were the only two fishing the fly lake.
I moved to a good spot & started catching a lot of fish,James the owner came over & asked what fly I was using,I told him I was using a fab & he asked to see it,fair enough,showed him the fly & he complained there was still some barb showing,I told him I'd crunched the barb & took my forceps out of my pocket to crunch it down more.James said my serrated forceps wasn't up to the job & produced a flat pliers which took the bump off.
He then walked off looking disgruntled!
I caught a few more fish then hooked my 18th which I quickly netted,turned & placed my net on the wet grass, (it was raining heavily ) took the fly out of the corner of it's mouth & returned the fish to the water without handling it.
As I stood up James was standing a few feet from me with a face liked a smacked rectum.
He berated me for talking the fish out of the water & proceeded to lecture me in his unwritten c & rules of never taking a fish out of the water,he also accused me of 'waving' the fish around in the net!!!
Now everyone has their preferences but I try to get a fish in as quickly as possible & for me trying to unhook them at the bottom of the net while they are still fairly fit is hard work,I've found placing the net on wet grass the fly will normally drop out of the fishes mouth where it can be released without touching the fish with my hands.
Basically I said to James that if he wanted them released his way then he should have told me on one of the numerous times I'd fished there over the years,not a problem .However this wasn't good enough for him so I told him I'd be leaving,he stood there frowning,watching me tackle down & it descended into a slanging match.
I've previously stuck up for James on this thread but he's shown his true colours to me today,I've also supplied him treated 4x2 to make fishing platforms free of charge for which he thanked me & let me fish c & the next time I visited free of charge.
I guess he doesn't like punters catching too many fish for their money?
Anything James would like to add to this is welcome,I know I did nothing wrong today.

just_a_blob

Ive had the same issue where i was catching on blobs and fabs and james the fishery owner has came over and told me he was going to ban them?
dont understand how he can try to ban every fly that catches fish, seems to me he just simply doesnt like you catching fish. surley a fishery owner would take some pride in people catching well? **** sevenoaks anyway thats my opinion.

woollybugger

Fished Sevenoaks from many a year,fished twice this month. Was under the impression blobs are banned, and have been since June had it??
Also thought there was a 10fish c&r limit?

bstrdmissed

Fished Sevenoaks from many a year,fished twice this month. Was under the impression blobs are banned, and have been since June had it??
Also thought there was a 10fish c&r limit?

No one's ever told me blobs are banned,including James,there is a sign saying 'no boobies', also no mention of a 10 fish limit on catch & release either,I also asked James if I'd caught too many for his liking too & he said catch as many as you like,obviously what he says & what he really thinks are two totally different things.

woollybugger

Well June banned blobs, along with boobies and sight bobs and he's carried on the same rules. Strange as he told me the new c&r limit(10 fish)? June had fish with blobs swallowed deeply and either line cut with fly left in or dead fish with blobs in there throats( altho fish I've caught on blobs have never swallowed them deeply?
Most c&r waters I fish ask for all fish NOT to be taken out of water to be unhooked. I was told off recently for taking one out of a local water as I couldn't reach down to unhook in water as I was fishing" of a platform"

bstrdmissed

Well June banned blobs, along with boobies and sight bobs and he's carried on the same rules. Strange as he told me the new c&r limit(10 fish)? June had fish with blobs swallowed deeply and either line cut with fly left in or dead fish with blobs in there throats( altho fish I've caught on blobs have never swallowed them deeply?
Most c&r waters I fish ask for all fish NOT to be taken out of water to be unhooked. I was told off recently for taking one out of a local water as I couldn't reach down to unhook in water as I was fishing" of a platform"
I've never been told blobs are banned,there's nothing on the rule board or website to say they are banned,James didn't say they are banned,from all that info I'd say it's pretty unlikely say that they're banned.

chris10

Popped down this morning for a couple of hours managed to get two out both rainbows of 3lb each. A lot of scum on the surface all around the lake at the moment which made things tricky nevertheless enjoyed a few hours in the sun :)

ejs1967

I will never, ever use this dump again! What an awful fishery this has become. Overgrown with weeds, hedges overgrown, no facilities and extreme difficulty casting. This used to be a half decent place but it's gone into reverse! It wont be in business much longer if they don't sort this place out. The main Trout lake is only accessible from a few spots which seriously limits your options. Never, ever again!

Been up there today the 2 main lakes have been joined and gone over to carp, the only trout are in the small novice pond had 7 all about a pound good fun for four hours @ £6 and £4.50 / fish taken, but there's no heavier fish in there though.