Shark Attack

FlyForumAdmin

I thought yoiu might find this photo interesting from a saltwater trip to Clipperton Island in the Pacific with my good friends Brian Fratel and Tim Pilcher.
I played this yellowfin tuna for nearly an hour on a 12 weight fly rod and then along came two lemon sharks!

Anyone else had experience of predators eating your catch?

Richard

TunaHead.jpg

Oh yes!

By the size of those bites, they must have been decent noah's to do that!

One of my better catches was chomped in one bite with most of the fish gone. It would have been a lovely 50lb King mack on very light spinning gear but all I got back was the head to the dorsal and that weighed a good 20lb's.

Given that I was fishing out deep on a very small rubber duck did give me pause for thought :)

Wish I knew how to post a video up here of my last trip to Nassau - got an amusing clip of an American bewailing having his tuna chomped by a noah.

Bests

Benjamin

timmy mullet

Crickey! I was wading in JDR when a Lemon shark swam within a few feet of me. At first I thought it was a giant bonefish! Well, it was my first day. The guide was 100m away with another punter gesticulating to me. I thought 'calm down man', I can see the damned thing. As it came nearer, my first thought was this 'Gotcha's' no where near big enough to interest that thing. Afterwards the guide told me that it was rare for Lemons to attack humans but the thought had never entered my mind in any case.
However, while fishing for mullet on the Costa Blanca an incredible and violent blitz erupted yards away from me in waist deep water. Large mullet and bass were leaping for freedom in all directions. The bream in the photo below was not so lucky. Being attacked did enter my mind on this occassion and I got my spindley legs out of there as quickly as I could!

DSCF0119.jpg

tanjipete

since watching paul young at the clippertons i have dreamed of fishing that place awesome place for a fisherman ,, roll on them euromillions :D

mike j thomas

On a kingfish trip out of Whitianga we met the skipper and the deck hand at the wharf, we were very suprised to find the decky was a petite young lady, no more than 55kg dripping wet! Some of the kingfish we were catching were huge but she was great and she certainly earned our respect when as she gripped a kingfish by the bottom lip to bring it aboard for releasing a big mako shark grabbed it by the tail!:eek: A tug of war resulted in the kingfish joining us in the boat and the Mako very unhappy at a missed meal. She was I think the best decky we have had on a trip.
All the best.
Mike

easker1

Many moons back I was fishing for Mullet at Lobito, in Angola. I had a light spinning rod when this huge thing came up through the water and almost had My rod, I went back to my ship much chastened, wondering what the hell it was, we set a night line in Sidney harbour one night with a huge hook and a wire trace ( 6X17 wire 1/4 dia) on to a Manila rope about 1in dia, baited up with a chunk of meat, in the morning the hand rail had a kink in it and the hook was almost straight, one of Sidney harbours large sharks?,there's some big stuff out there, :whistle: easker1

Latest posts