Sheelin / Owel

123strike

Any word on how either lakes are fishing?

Sheelin - Assuming its still Perch Fry bashing time?? Any Green Peter hatching?

Owel - I'm going down after work, i wonder are there any Green Peter hatching?

markc82

Heading to sheelin this weekend, anyone been fishing it recently?

remi

I've been there week ago - Sheelin. East side of lake looks like death. I've been on the water till midnight. Lots of buzzers and small sedges in the air also lots fry near shores but no rising fish. Just sporadic bash on middle of lake. Temperature of the top layer around 20C.

Last edited:

sweenytodd

19 fish recorded on Sheelin for the last week , you will really struggle to be honest . Plenty of Peter , Sedge , Buzzer , Murrough and Daddies but the fish are not on them , they are on fry , I always go deep in the daytime this time of year . If you want any surface action you best bet is fishing when its dark .

Owel is pretty much the same as is Ennell :eek:mg:

If you fish for other species , Pike or Bass my advise would be go fish for those ! :D

Irish Angling Update » Trout driving anglers to despair as they feed on the Lough Sheelin’s perch fly

Bert

Fished Sheelin on Sunday and it was very tough. It was very sunny for most of the day, the only action I had was about 3.30 to 4.30 when a bit of cloud cover managed to block out the sun for a while and I had 3 trout on wets, biggest 1.5lbs. Had one other thump but didn't connect. Lots of small sedges and buzzers around but the trout are not rising to them. Out in the middle of the lake I came across plenty of trout bulging and bashing fry I presume. Tried fry patterns over these fish but no luck on them actually caught some perch fry which were only slightly bigger than my fry patterns :confused:

It was great to be out though even if it was hard work.

markc82

Had an enjoyable couple of days on sheelin, didnt get out on the lough until midday saturday but there was a good hatch of sedge on and a couple fish movjng. 1st time on tje lough so done a bit of searching around, showery day and had 7 or 8 fish come short on sedges fished wet style. Landed 2 small fish by time, unfortunatlry a colder breeze picked up with few fish showing tho i did turn a nice fish behind the rocky islands at chambers. Yesterday were good conditions, hit a couple of nice drifts again a lot of fish coming short but over course of tjr day we had a 4 1/2lb fish, 2 x 3lb and 3 more between 1and 2lb which give us an entertaining day. lost the same amount again, my boat partner especially lost a very nice.fish. we will be back.