She'll for a disabled angler hi, I wonder if anybody can kindly help me based on their experience or what they have seen

dancer

I have fished the rivers for many years decently for trout and grayling. Sadly zI had a stroke in Jan of this year which has left me disabled in my left arm and leg. My leg is slowly improving a gets stronger and I build up my stamina after 18 weeks in hospital and whilst I am some way off returning to fishing I can foresee later in the year I may be able to try and wet s line again.i know there are other numerous challenges, not lest wading on an irregular fiver bed but my mai question for now is does anybody use or know of a harness type system into which a rod bit could be placed and I could then use my free right hand to wind in if necessary and play the fish on the reel. My fish are normally s fairly modest size so it should be possible to play it in this WA to bring it within use of my net which I would have to use my right hand for so the fish would have to stay on harness control till I netted it and carefully released it. Maybe I am hoping for too much but I'm not just going to give up on the idea at this time.the same question would apply if fishing a lake only more so as thee fish are generally bigger and I don't want to feel. Have to drag someone eklse with me always as I have always love my freedom and flexibility of going st the drop of a hat. That's not to say I haven't had lots of offers to come with me but I'm trying to explore all avenues at the moment while I build my strength. So any help or suggestions would be brilliant and it could be a useful discussion for others in case they find themselves in the same boat,sometime down the road God forbid. At this stage I Darby even think about throwing in the towel and giving up .many thanks Paul

iainmortimer

Thanks for these comments and what you all say make a lot of sense but Maybe I didn't explain myself well to start with its mainly rivers I fish and hop to get back to , again either dries or French leader and I know the challenges of tying on the fly hav to be tackled but without a right arm how di I bring the fish to the net for release either on the river or a lake, the only way I can envisage it is with some sort of rod clip that can hold the rod safely and upright while I wind with the right hand. Thanks again, sorry if I misled you . It's proving a real challenge to what brain cells I have left and is daunting me a bi.

A kayak/boat rod holder may be your answer to a rod holder that still allows you to turn the reel handle. While these are designed for fitting to a boats or kayak, it should be possible to fit it to a belt or chest strap that would allow it be used in the manner you need to. e.g. Scotty Fly Rod Holder - 265 | Escape Watersports

For tying on a fly consider pre-tying your chosen flies at home to lengths of tippet with a decent sized loop at the end, and using a tippet ring at the end of your leader. Looping to a ring while on the bank I suspect would be a lot easier than tying a knot. If your mainly using nymphs or wet flies as opposed to dries, you may find a small lure clip (check LRF fishing clips) is even easier to use than a tippet ring. For attaching it t the leader, a tacky fly patch or fixed clip on your chest, bag (or new rod holder!) could be used to hold the ring or clip to allow for one handed threading. A pair of tweezers/small forceps might help with pulling the fly through the loop?

The harder one, assuming you want to C&R, I'd have thought would be unhooking the fish but an Orvis 'Ketchum release' might be the answer if you can hold the line in your teeth.

Best of luck with your recovery and in finding the solutions that work for you, but I guess if your considering a return then you're already a pretty resourceful and determined kind of guy.

unclealec

One obvious half-way house would be a fishing buddy. And maybe a bit of stillwater until you learn your new ropes. I take your point about freedom and dragging other people round with you, but just until you get the hang of your new fishing style. The stillwater thing is so that you won't have the worry of wading. These offers of companions - maybe revisit that scenario?
Where are you?

Last edited:

Latest posts