Shooting Rats;

4wings

I used to shoot on a farm with a fishing pond and the worst offenders were the groundbait dumpers,
unused groundbait thrown into the nettles rather than taken home.

original cormorant

They come into my house probably about once a year or so, so I have a couple of traps set on standby.

Nutella is the perfect bait. Some years ago I'd been baiting traps with nutella and then ran out of nutella and bought some Morrissons savers choc-nut spread. They absolutely refused to touch it.

However now that the budget stuff has gone a bit crystaline they seem quite keen on it.

In the past outside I've used the pink waxy block poison sucessfully. I've also found that blocking holes with a dry cement mix has been successful.

My neighbour has been quite successful shooting squirrels with an airgun

haggstock

I've got chickens.
I've got rats.
I've got a pellet gun.
I'm getting a .22
🙁
.22 subsonic can ricochet like a bastard after passing clean through a rat . I’d set up a bait station ( the recommendations for liquidised cat food are spot on ) with a backstop , and get some CCI segmented 40 grains they break up pretty well . Having said that you’re not going to get on top of rats with a gun . Get some Fenn traps and make some tunnels. Bait the traps then you might have a chance .

ohanzee

.22 subsonic can ricochet like a bastard after passing clean through a rat . I’d set up a bait station ( the recommendations for liquidised cat food are spot on ) with a backstop , and get some CCI segmented 40 grains they break up pretty well . Having said that you’re not going to get on top of rats with a gun . Get some Fenn traps and make some tunnels. Bait the traps then you might have a chance .
The problem with Fenn traps is people don't make tunnels and the cat and everything else gets it.

williegunn

Take care if using fenn traps as they are no longer legal for catching stoats, so if you have, or might have stoats in the area use some of the new traps, DOC

Paul_B

My hen sheds are rat and fox proof, however I have a shed that's fool proof and nether cats or hedgehogs can get in, rats aren't fools, they get in as they like chocolate block poison ;)

ohanzee

Take care if using fenn traps as they are no longer legal for catching stoats, so if you have, or might have stoats in the area use some of the new traps, DOC
If there were more stoats we would maybe not have the rat problem.

hutch6

One jar of chocolate spread.
One bottle of cheap cooking oil.

Take two tablespoons of chocolate spread out of the jar and use or throw away.
Place the jar of spread with the lid off in a pan of boiling water until the spread becomes runny.
Once runny top up the jar with the cheap cooking oil.

Allow to cool.

You now have a jar of runny chocolate that they will stop to lick when poured rather than "smash and grab" which allows for more accurate shooting and cleaner kills.
Pour on the ground. Do not have a rat reaching up for bait as they can soon drop back down which can lead to a miss or a foul shot. They may be horrible and unwanted but that doesn't mean they should not be given the respect of a clean kill the same as any other quarry. Nobody should be taking a shot that isn't safe or a clean kill.
You don't want injured rats going back down into the system anyway as that is free food for the the others and you more than likely won't see any more during that session or for a few days.

If you shoot one and there are no others in the vicinity allow it to bleed a little and leave a trail away from the place they are coming from. The scent of fresh blood will attract them.

Always bait up for your selected area for at least five to six days prior to shooting for better results - rats are always wary of anything new in their environment, especially chocolate spread but once they get used to it it is like a magnet for them.

doobrysnatcher

good shooting ,
GRAPHIC TURN AWAY NOW

talking to a country boy ,a few years back, said the best way is catch two rats alive and put them in a barrell with out feeding ,one will eat the other and become canibal then release it "

suzuki15hp

good shooting ,
GRAPHIC TURN AWAY NOW

talking to a country boy ,a few years back, said the best way is catch two rats alive and put them in a barrell with out feeding ,one will eat the other and become canibal then release it "
Survival of the fittest eh!

Surely that method would end up with the cannibal rat becoming the size of a shire horse after it ate the others. :unsure:

ejw

Many years ago 3 of us were asked by a farmer to help "remove" rats from his outbuildings (on marchland with no house within a mile or so). He told us we were limited to airguns due to the buildings ? He also said there were "hundreds" at night. We duly turned up just before dusk and did a patrol with him and managed 3 and one that was "hit" but not found, he said not to worry as the others would eat it ? We did 2 more rounds and shot a dozen more, but saw no large numbers, then it got dark ? We had powerful lamps, so started to pick off a few more, part of the circuit was passed a hay barn with full stack of bales at the back end with a straw floor for about 15m to 20m to where we passed. I panned the floor and initially thought there was nothing, but a 2nd pass showed the whole of the floor was just covered in rats, not an inch of floor could be seen ! It was not "hundreds" but thousands of rats ! We shot maybe 50 - 70 that night, went back shooting 3 more times, be never saw anything like the numbers of the 1st night. After the 3rd time numbers were well down and we checked on a couple more occasions but no more signs. The farmer told us this happened at the end of harvesting every 7 years or so and the rats would follow the trail of grain to his yard. As it was only manned in daylight, the rats were undisturbed at night - until we set up shop. He also told us they were intelligent and knew when to leave.
There are "other" stories about this night, but will leave for another spot, as I have gone on long enough.

Paul_B

We've had a lot of rats appearing over the last few months in the allotments, maybe its because I'm feeding them choc blocks :unsure:

Theres only a couple of us feeding them poison as no one else has rats 🤣🤣🤣

However I've found out that they've been spotted in people gardens after the bird food in daytime and most have stopped feeding the birds, I think that's why we had the increase on the allotment.

I must have fed them about 30 quids worth of once chock blocks over the last few months, but theres some of the neighbours who still chuck bread out for the birds rats 🤬

glueman

I have a neighbour who has rats under his shed,his answer is a pipe from.m their tunnels to the exhaust pipe on his car. Start car up and leave it ticking over for an hour. No rats

lee71

Just use flathead pellets, there are plenty of pellets that won't go straight through/over penetrate.(y)

glueman

Just use flathead pellets, there are plenty of pellets that won't go straight through/over penetrate.(y)
Lee I think you and haggstock are referring to different things. A 22 subsonic is a rimfire rifle round and will ricochet of a stone going in any direction. I always thought it a dangerous round.

ejw

Only use 177 as am too lazy to "drop compensate", just means you have to be accurate. I find Accupells are the best general pellet, but use flatheads or hollow points if I do not want "over penetration". I'm sure there will be "discussion" on the merits of all 4 !!!!!

Latest posts