Shooting Rats;

lee71

Cross man ratcatcher rifle supposed to be good if you can find one, especially if you don't want a full blown air rifle. Don't know much about the chiapa.

ohanzee

Get yourswlf a jack Russell.. 😜😜
I had a workshop on an old farm that had a Pointer, if found the rats first and....stood stock still pointing at them with its tail out!

x2 on the Jack Russell.

ohanzee

I had one for sixteen years, he passed last year and I miss him to bits. I'm waiting for my wife to be ready for another dog, I'm ready now but ... You know how it is .
I have a whippet that is 19 years old now and its time, don't think I can think of a harder thing to do.

4wings

Don't believe all the waffling, a 22 airgun will stop a rat a 177 wont and lead dosn't ricochet very much, mine is a standard 12ft/lb and it kills them, they don't run off to die.
I have shot Rabbits Rats and Wood Pigeon with .22, .20 and .177 (even a brass sleeved .25 and .30 calibre) Air Rifles, if you are accurate and at a reasonable range they all kill. I just prefer .177 its flat trajectory is easier to use than the .22 curved trajectory.

haggstock

Ive just looked up the “ Little Badger “rifle It’s what I’d call a poachers gun Single shot ,exposed hammer, folder . About £160 over here on GunTrader , but I’ve never seen one , it’s only 3lbs in weight so for me it’s too light to be steady but that’s just a personal preference . Being realistic , it will be no more inconvenient to use than a break barrel airgun , cheaper than a good airgun , and even with subsonic rounds deliver 10 times the energy of an airgun .

I also see that that the same company do a Double Badger , .22lr / .410 shotgun combo . That would be an interesting knock around vermin tool , with the advantage of being to shoot upwards or inside barns etc in relatively safely

Just the buzzer

If done with a bit of conviction then shooting rats is a very effective way to reduce or eradicate the rats totally although it can take a bit of time, shooting if done safely is a much more humane way and safer way to deal with rats as poison is a slow death with the possibility of other wildlife being poisoned.

Latest posts