Short Shooting Heads

ohanzee

It would be interesting to know what set up he was using, i would expect that would be difficult with a line weighted for the rod but a fair bit easier with the appropriate weighted/style of line like an slx, opst or skagit
He used any line that came to hand, it doesn't matter how long the head is if the anchor is further out sort of thing, its compromised because the forward cast starts a bit behind rather than leading the line but it is strangely satisfying.

rusty

Thanks for replies so far.
On the Commando utube they show 90ft being cast with a 71/2ft #3 rod using a 13.5 ft head weighing 225 grains.
Since 30ft of a #3 line is 100grains I find it amazing that this is possible.
Can someone explain the logic?
Rusty

speytime

Thanks for replies so far.
On the Commando utube they show 90ft being cast with a 71/2ft #3 rod using a 13.5 ft head weighing 225 grains.
Since 30ft of a #3 line is 100grains I find it amazing that this is possible.
Can someone explain the logic?
Rusty
A 3wt can't be 225 grains that's 15 grams it sounds like he's talking absolute sh1te again, a 3wt is roughly 6.5 grams.
Also 225 grains into 13.5ft would make the line like a tow rope.

Al

rusty

Have a look at the Commando website which shows this data. Also look at the video. Awesome casting.
I am still unable to understand how a #3 rod can perform as shown.
Rusty

James9118

I am still unable to understand how a #3 rod can perform as shown.
I'll think you'll find it's the caster doing the 'performing' and not the rod. One of Lasse's videos (who commented earlier in this thread) shows him casting a #12 line on a #3 rod and achieving a decent distance. This shows that a great caster can adapt to pretty much any outfit.

James.

rusty

I'll think you'll find it's the caster doing the 'performing' and not the rod. One of Lasse's videos (who commented earlier in this thread) shows him casting a #12 line on a #3 rod and achieving a decent distance. This shows that a great caster can adapt to pretty much any outfit.

James.
I would suggest there is more to it than being a great caster as they are selling the heads on a commercial basis.

Rusty

James9118

Rusty - I'm having trouble following your logic, are you saying the rod is unbelievable or the shooting head is unbelievable?

To me neither is unbelievable, casting a 225gr line, i.e. an #8 weight, to 90ft with a 7ft rod labelled #3 isn't anything special.

Could you post a link to the video you're referring to by the way.

karlsson

There's no such thing as a 3 weight rod.
There's a number written on the side of the rod that suggests a line weight to be used with it, but that's a suggestion... Lines do have a voluntary standard, getting one thats according to standard is just a bit difficult these days on this side of the pond especially 😉

Cheers

rusty

OPST Commando shooting heads

If you Google the above or put the above in Youtube you will find loads of stuff on this.

I cannot copy any links, sorry.

What I mean by 'commercially available' is that the Company sell these heads to the public. Their website tables all the weights and the rods they are suitable for.

I hope you understand it better than me. Based on the videos these are just the thing for my requirement.

Rusty

rusty

There's no such thing as a 3 weight rod.
There's a number written on the side of the rod that suggests a line weight to be used with it, but that's a suggestion... Lines do have a voluntary standard, getting one thats according to standard is just a bit difficult these days on this side of the pond especially 😉

Cheers
Yes I know the line weight designation is only someone's opinion.
I invite you to look at all the OPST Commando website and associated videos and then comment further.

Regards
Rusty

speytime

I think I see where the mix up is, the opst head is designed/weighted for sustained anchor spey casts hence the grain weight.
If you tried to overhead cast it with any power it, could break your certainly overload it.
If you check spey line weights you might find the grain weight is about right, aftma and spey weights are world's apart.

Al

karlsson

Yes I know the line weight designation is only someone's opinion.
I invite you to look at all the OPST Commando website and associated videos and then comment further.

Regards
Rusty
Hi Rusty

Have you seen the one with me in front of the boat throwing them overhead?
My wife have a nice clip on YouTube too

So am I allowed to comment now, or am I over qualified?

Cheerios
Lasse

rusty

Hi Lasse,
Thanks for your reply.
No, you are not overqualified and no offence intended.
I am delighted to find an authority who understands what I am looking for.
I want to cast with a short head with a #6 rod and if that means that it can only be achieved with a touch and go cast so be it.
If the head is only say 4 m long what weight and profile would you suggest? I intend to connect the head to mono running line.
Thanks.
Regards
Rusty

karlsson

Hi Lasse,
Thanks for your reply.
No, you are not overqualified and no offence intended.
I am delighted to find an authority who understands what I am looking for.
I want to cast with a short head with a #6 rod and if that means that it can only be achieved with a touch and go cast so be it.
If the head is only say 4 m long what weight and profile would you suggest? I intend to connect the head to mono running line.
Thanks.
Regards
Rusty
Hi Rusty

The lines work perfectly fine overhead too!

For most singlehanders with a 6 over the handle a 200-225 grain commando head will work fine. What flies and kind of water are you looking to fish with it?

And if you're looking to cut something up yourself, don't worry too much about profiles, a bit of taper is always nice but even 4 meters level will chuck fine!

Cheers
Lasse

running bear

Hi Rusty

The lines work perfectly fine overhead too!

For most singlehanders with a 6 over the handle a 200-225 grain commando head will work fine. What flies and kind of water are you looking to fish with it?

And if you're looking to cut something up yourself, don't worry too much about profiles, a bit of taper is always nice but even 4 meters level will chuck fine!

Cheers
Lasse
I’ve made many single handed shooting heads from DTs usually 2 line sizes up, giving me maybe 8+ yards for streamer fishing, but after casting a OPST micro skagit at an expo last week I’m going to try something much shorter. Ive a DT12 I’m going to cut to fit a 7 or 8 weight rod and I’ll let you know how I get on.

rusty

I'm lost now I thought it was a 3wt at 225 grains now it's jumped to a 6wt?
Reading between the lines the op still has a bit to learn before anyone can help.

Al
The Commando video that inspired me was using a #3 rod but I want to apply it on a #6 rod. I hope this explains.
Rusty