Short Shooting Heads

rusty

I’ve made many single handed shooting heads from DTs usually 2 line sizes up, giving me maybe 8+ yards for streamer fishing, but after casting a OPST micro skagit at an expo last week I’m going to try something much shorter. Ive a DT12 I’m going to cut to fit a 7 or 8 weight rod and I’ll let you know how I get on.
Hi Running Bear,
What you plan to do is close to my plan.
I look forward to details of your tests.
Please describe tackle including rod rating, head profile, lenght and running line.
Your conclusions will be most helpful.
Regards

Rusty

speytime

The Commando video that inspired me was using a #3 rod but I want to apply it on a #6 rod. I hope this explains.
Rusty
The nearest I've got to casting anything as short is a 240 grain 17ft maxcatch skagit head with a 9.6ft 7# but only with pike flies, it turns over fine, casts a good distance with little effort but it doesn't land with any delicacy.
The weights and length are on the 2/3rd photo.

Edit.. I've weighed a 10wt to obtain a target weight of 15g you need about 18ft, so if you want the head shorter you're better going for a 11/12wt.
Hth

Al

Last edited:

rusty

Thanks Speytime.

Running Bear is going to sacrifice a DT12 on a #7 or#8 rod so we await the results of his trials.
It might take a day or two with all this wind!

Rusty

running bear

Thanks Speytime.

Running Bear is going to sacrifice a DT12 on a #7 or#8 rod so we await the results of his trials.
It might take a day or two with all this wind!

Rusty
It’ll take a week or two with two very young kids and all this wind!