Shotgun/firearm certificates.

glueman

I sent mine off giving them 6 months in case of staff shortages etc and they sent it back saying too early try again in 3 months. You just could not make it up

7x57

They are thinking staff are going to get covid 19, hence the reason they are warning people in advance.

speytime

It is due in 6 months Staffs are not the fastest last time I sent everything off 3 months in advance and still had to phone them to get them to send me a section 7
Apologies I thought you meant you had sent 6 months early in the past, not recently.

Cheers Al

7x57

Hi folks, received my certificates today. So not too bad considering, only ten days over due.

kevind62

Trust Member
I certainly feel for you folks on the "other side". When I first obtained my concealed carry permit, I went you our local law enforcement office, filled out the required paperwork, presented my identification, they ran a background check and in 20 minutes I walked out with my permit. The renewal is every 5 years. They mail my notification, I send it back with the required $15 USD processing fee and within 3 days I have my new one delivered in the mail to me. Every ten years I have to go in person to renew my photo.

haggstock

I personally think our firearms licensing laws are about right . We don’t need concealed carry as normal people are not generally under threat , our firearms death rates are amongst the lowest in the world ( both as total and per capita ) and best kept that way . In real terms we renew every 5 years and mostly on shotguns every second certificate renewal will be by telephone . Our rights to keep a gun can be removed if we transgress any law that shows we have poor judgement, for example drinking and driving or threatening behaviour , which is a very good thing .

Our current gun laws were shaped by Government and public response to two mass killings some years back , one of them at a school . If you want a shotgun or rifle in the UK , it’s easy to get one if you are A) a fit and proper law abiding person , B ) for a rifle rather than a shotgun , have specific good reason ( with evidence ) for each and every weapon and calibre . You will have conditions attached to your Firearms ( but not shotgun ) licence limiting the use to specific purposes . This is great as we don’t get people just “ fancying a gun “ . Our police forces actually encourage the acquisition of moderators ( silencers ) for rifles .

Back to the licensing issues . The licensing departments will no doubt find a pragmatic way around certificates expiring during lockdown . In the past I’ve also been told that there is an automatic 8 week extension . The biggest issue I see with that is without an in date certificate buying section 1 ammunition will be impossible . Shotgun cartridges are easily worked around .

Last edited:

PaulD

In real terms we renew every 5 years and mostly on shotguns every second certificate renewal will be by telephone .

The licensing departments will no doubt find a pragmatic way around certificates expiring during lockdown .
Every second certificate renewal by telephone? That's a new one on me and I've had a certificate for 50 years.

My certificate expires on the 8th May this year and my authority (Northamptonshire) have moved to an online system . . . take a 'selfie' with your mobile and upload it! My renewal documents were uploaded in time but I'm yet to receive anything other than the acknowledgement that the upload was successful.

haggstock

It’s very common nowadays Paul , obviously depends on the Force , but I’ve had it done and know 3 friends who’ve had the same on SGC . I’ve gone coterminous now on the advice of the FEO. So I don’t know if it will be the same . But on SGC definitely a practice around here .

MobyJones

Not due for renewal for a couple of years but your firearms licensing department could easily issue a Section 7 temporary permit if they wanted too.

The onus is on them if you've got all of your application in eight weeks before expiry so I really wouldn't worry about it.

taffy1

I received my reminder for reapplication on or about the 21st of May. I also had in the package a request for a Medical Screening record(?), apparently a new addition for seeking a shotgun renewal certificate. More red tape! As it happens, my current certificate doesn't expire until November.

haggstock

The document that you have received , is one that has been adopted by many police forces . It is not the agreed process , but you’ll not get a renewal without complying . Your doctor may well charge you for the report . Thankfully in December when my certificates were processed West Yorks actually applied the current law properly .

glueman

Not due for renewal for a couple of years but your firearms licensing department could easily issue a Section 7 temporary permit if they wanted too.

The onus is on them if you've got all of your application in eight weeks before expiry so I really wouldn't worry about it.
If you have guns and not received a section 7 you are in possession of unlicensed guns,keep phoning until you get it

sewinbasher

Not till December, but I have thought about the situation.
No longer in a syndicate, no longer out on farmlands doing in the vermin, will the licensing authorities then question the need for weapons?
We could soon be in the realms of defending our right to possess weapons.
Heavon forbrid, but it might happen.
Regards
Bert
Depends on whether FAC or SGC. In North Wales we have to show a "good reason" for firearms but this does not require named ground or permissions, although it helps. For shotguns the police need a good reason to refuse. Scotland might be different.

haggstock

If you have guns and not received a section 7 you are in possession of unlicensed guns,keep phoning until you get it
[/
That’s not the case actually . If you have applied for your renewal in a timely manner , and the police have not renewed on time, your certificate automatically has an 8 week period of grace . So a section 7 would only be needed if it hadn’t been processed by expiry + eight weeks .

glueman

That’s not the case actually . If you have applied for your renewal in a timely manner , and the police have not renewed on time, your certificate automatically has an 8 week period of grace . So a section 7 would only be needed if it hadn’t been processed by expiry + eight weeks .

Not according to BASC when I queried it a few years back, applying means nothing they have now introduced the 8 weeks if you had read an earlier post I made but watch because in 8 weeks and 1 day you have an unlicenced weapoon and it is up to you to get them to send a section 7

MobyJones

This is not true.

Your local firearms team are responsible as long as you have had your renewal apica toon in for eight weeks prior to expiry.

They simply update the relevant database. Been there done that.