Shotgun/firearm certificates.

glueman

This is not true.

Your local firearms team are responsible as long as you have had your renewal apica toon in for eight weeks prior to expiry.

They simply update the relevant database. Been there done that.
Not what Harriman told me once your 8 weeks is up or prior to that once your licence expired you are breaking the law. I had staffs keep telling me I was ok as had filled forms in but a phone call to basc it was not true

MobyJones

Not according to BASC when I queried it a few years back, applying means nothing they have now introduced the 8 weeks if you had read an earlier post I made but watch because in 8 weeks and 1 day you have an unlicenced weapoon and it is up to you to get them to send a section 7
Not what Harriman told me once your 8 weeks is up or prior to that once your licence expired you are breaking the law. I had staffs keep telling me I was ok as had filled forms in but a phone call to basc it was not true
BASC don't make or uphold the law. Harriman has been wrong before. The onus is on the police. It's not your fault if they don't issue the paperwork if you got your application in on time!

glueman

I have had a reply for my renewal request for SG licence saying it will take time due to level of work eventually a Fire Arm Officer will make an appointment to come. As we are not supposed to have people visit us in our houses what do we do with this.

sewinbasher

Mobyjones when I was living in Derbyshire for a while I found Derbyshire Fire Arms Dept easier to deal with than Staffs
Things change, there was a time about 10 years ago when North Wales was one of the worst to deal with, gave me additional rounds to hold heavier bullets for boar but wouldn't give me boar (or foxes) on the conditions for my existing .270! The last time I renewed they gave me AOLQ on both my .243 and .270 and all turned round in two weeks.

DutyDruid

Think the biggest scare will be being over run by wild and free flying clays pigeons, the sky will be full of em. Slowly picking us off one by one.
Sorry my attempt at putting a bit of light humour into a very serious and well thought out subject for the lovers of the country sports.

MobyJones

Mobyjones when I was living in Derbyshire for a while I found Derbyshire Fire Arms Dept easier to deal with than Staffs
I was originally with South Yorkshire. I asked for an open ticket and was advised that I needed to supply two letters from existing ticket holders who had shot with me stating that I was a safe and competent shot. This was at a time when I was about to move to Derbyshire.

So I called Derbyshire to ask what they needed from me as I knew I needed them to visit my new place and issue me one of their FAC's and SGC's. When I enquired about having an open ticket they insisted on proof that I was firing 1500 rounds per weapon per annum. I explained I'm a deer stalker and not an obsessive target shooter. They were not interested...

So I very quickly applied with South Yorkshire who approved my request. Farcical really considering one of my referees was new to shooting and had only help a FAC for a short period of time! I then moved across the border and was reissued with an open FAC from the new constabulary.

The whole game really is a postcode lottery.

sewinbasher

I was originally with South Yorkshire. I asked for an open ticket and was advised that I needed to supply two letters from existing ticket holders who had shot with me stating that I was a safe and competent shot. This was at a time when I was about to move to Derbyshire.

So I called Derbyshire to ask what they needed from me as I knew I needed them to visit my new place and issue me one of their FAC's and SGC's. When I enquired about having an open ticket they insisted on proof that I was firing 1500 rounds per weapon per annum. I explained I'm a deer stalker and not an obsessive target shooter. They were not interested...

So I very quickly applied with South Yorkshire who approved my request. Farcical really considering one of my referees was new to shooting and had only help a FAC for a short period of time! I then moved across the border and was reissued with an open FAC from the new constabulary.

The whole game really is a postcode lottery.
Yes farcical, especially when you consider that neither South Yorks. or Derbyshire were entitled to impose any such conditions under Home Office guidelines.

I had encountered similar stupidity from North Wales who wouldn't add boar to an existing rifle on the grounds that boar apparently didn't need to be controlled. When I suggested that this wasn't his call he told me off the record that the real reason was that the then Chief Constable didn't want to be a ground breaker in conditioning rifles for boar. I eventually used the "estate rifle" to shoot boar.

After a change in Chief Constable and FD personnel I mentioned to the officer dealing with me on my next renewal that it seemed stupid that I could shoot a fox with my .243 but couldn't with my .270. He agreed and gave me an open ticket for both rifles and with no named ground!