Shotgun/firearm certificates.

glueman

This is not true.

Your local firearms team are responsible as long as you have had your renewal apica toon in for eight weeks prior to expiry.

They simply update the relevant database. Been there done that.
Not what Harriman told me once your 8 weeks is up or prior to that once your licence expired you are breaking the law. I had staffs keep telling me I was ok as had filled forms in but a phone call to basc it was not true

MobyJones

Not according to BASC when I queried it a few years back, applying means nothing they have now introduced the 8 weeks if you had read an earlier post I made but watch because in 8 weeks and 1 day you have an unlicenced weapoon and it is up to you to get them to send a section 7
Not what Harriman told me once your 8 weeks is up or prior to that once your licence expired you are breaking the law. I had staffs keep telling me I was ok as had filled forms in but a phone call to basc it was not true

BASC don't make or uphold the law. Harriman has been wrong before. The onus is on the police. It's not your fault if they don't issue the paperwork if you got your application in on time!

glueman

I have had a reply for my renewal request for SG licence saying it will take time due to level of work eventually a Fire Arm Officer will make an appointment to come. As we are not supposed to have people visit us in our houses what do we do with this.

sewinbasher

Mobyjones when I was living in Derbyshire for a while I found Derbyshire Fire Arms Dept easier to deal with than Staffs
Things change, there was a time about 10 years ago when North Wales was one of the worst to deal with, gave me additional rounds to hold heavier bullets for boar but wouldn't give me boar (or foxes) on the conditions for my existing .270! The last time I renewed they gave me AOLQ on both my .243 and .270 and all turned round in two weeks.

DutyDruid

Think the biggest scare will be being over run by wild and free flying clays pigeons, the sky will be full of em. Slowly picking us off one by one.
Sorry my attempt at putting a bit of light humour into a very serious and well thought out subject for the lovers of the country sports.

MobyJones

Mobyjones when I was living in Derbyshire for a while I found Derbyshire Fire Arms Dept easier to deal with than Staffs

I was originally with South Yorkshire. I asked for an open ticket and was advised that I needed to supply two letters from existing ticket holders who had shot with me stating that I was a safe and competent shot. This was at a time when I was about to move to Derbyshire.

So I called Derbyshire to ask what they needed from me as I knew I needed them to visit my new place and issue me one of their FAC's and SGC's. When I enquired about having an open ticket they insisted on proof that I was firing 1500 rounds per weapon per annum. I explained I'm a deer stalker and not an obsessive target shooter. They were not interested...

So I very quickly applied with South Yorkshire who approved my request. Farcical really considering one of my referees was new to shooting and had only help a FAC for a short period of time! I then moved across the border and was reissued with an open FAC from the new constabulary.

The whole game really is a postcode lottery.

sewinbasher

I was originally with South Yorkshire. I asked for an open ticket and was advised that I needed to supply two letters from existing ticket holders who had shot with me stating that I was a safe and competent shot. This was at a time when I was about to move to Derbyshire.

So I called Derbyshire to ask what they needed from me as I knew I needed them to visit my new place and issue me one of their FAC's and SGC's. When I enquired about having an open ticket they insisted on proof that I was firing 1500 rounds per weapon per annum. I explained I'm a deer stalker and not an obsessive target shooter. They were not interested...

So I very quickly applied with South Yorkshire who approved my request. Farcical really considering one of my referees was new to shooting and had only help a FAC for a short period of time! I then moved across the border and was reissued with an open FAC from the new constabulary.

The whole game really is a postcode lottery.
Yes farcical, especially when you consider that neither South Yorks. or Derbyshire were entitled to impose any such conditions under Home Office guidelines.

I had encountered similar stupidity from North Wales who wouldn't add boar to an existing rifle on the grounds that boar apparently didn't need to be controlled. When I suggested that this wasn't his call he told me off the record that the real reason was that the then Chief Constable didn't want to be a ground breaker in conditioning rifles for boar. I eventually used the "estate rifle" to shoot boar.

After a change in Chief Constable and FD personnel I mentioned to the officer dealing with me on my next renewal that it seemed stupid that I could shoot a fox with my .243 but couldn't with my .270. He agreed and gave me an open ticket for both rifles and with no named ground!

taffy1

After many deliberations & a failure to sell my shotguns ,I'll be handing them in to my nearest available police station when this current mini lockdown recedes. There's nearly 1000 cartridges which will be submitted for disposal. The licencing department for South Wales are in acceptance with this decision & only require confirmation by email.....Covid-19 eh?

ejw

A friend offered to buy my last two shotguns, which made the decision not to renew my license easier. This was after 50 odd years of shooting. I let him have both guns (one was new) very cheap.
At the same time my neighbour and long time shooting partner made the same decision with his last two guns. I told my friend and he had those as well.
The novelty was I had ordered one these guns from "Coach Harness" many years before, along with one for myself ?
It was the description on "our" shotgun licences, that made me smile two similar guns ? Mine was classed as a 26 bore muzzle loading shotgun - (it was actually a 24" smooth bore .54 calibre Buffalo rifle ?) His was classed as a "Cannon" (Actually a 24" smoothbore .50 calibre plains rifle ) Both were built from kits and would fire upto 5/8 of an ounce of shot.
Both shotgun licences were from Cheshire police department and the same person ?
This was also at the time when you could get guns (and ammunition) sent in the post ? One shotgun kit was left by the postman by the front door - No signature required ??? Try that nowadays !
I still have a Coach Harness Catalogue, very sad end to the company after "Dunblaine" when the rules changed. A lot of his gear was seized but no compensation paid. (short version).

BobP

I have had a reply for my renewal request for SG licence saying it will take time due to level of work eventually a Fire Arm Officer will make an appointment to come. As we are not supposed to have people visit us in our houses what do we do with this.

I had the same when I renewed my S/g certificate. It was due on the 9th September so I sent it in early July given the 8 week turn round. It was signed off on the 19th August and I do not expect to see a Firearms Officer. I suspect this clause it a catch-all for new applications or for those who have given the Police any cause for concern.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
OK. Renewal time for my shotguns.
Received letter from firearms department, includes a letter I must present to my doctor, to verify my mental health, and let doctor flag my file for future notifications to police.
Original letter tells me to down load application on line, but not to send it back, as an Officer would be along to collect, and inspect.
Do all that, then out of blue get an e-mail telling me I must now send application back, with signed photo, verification letter, and proof of payment, however, I have to send it back to another area Police Station.
Sooooooooooo do this, and then get another e-mail from another totally different Police Station, asking me to confirm my security arrangements, and to provide photos of any changes, if any.
As nothing has changed in the last 25 years regarding my security, I e-mail back stating so, no changes since last visit, and indeed several prior visits.
A few days latter, another e-mail arrives, from another Officer, but from same building as security request, asking me send in photos of weapons, and the serial numbers on them.
Seems they require this info because they are not going to do a home inspection, but will contact me by phone once they have said details, and renewal application form.
Now, serial numbers on a couple of them are stamped into top edge of flats on locks, and in one instance, underneath the opening lever!
Took the photos, sent them back to said officer, with my apologies as to the difficulty in photoing the serial numbers, and now await response.
What bothers me, 3 different Police stations, from 3 different Districts, (ok, is all Police Scotland), now involved, having to tie up all the info.
Existing certificate runs out late January, and I have done all required before end of October, but seems the doctors surgery have not yet responded, as the Police say they are still awaiting return of health assesment forms!
According to original renewal letter that is my problem/fault, and leaves me open to having renewal rejected, weapons put into storage, or indeed charged for non renewal!
Will only wait till mid November before kicking off at Health Centre, but it is irksome in the extreme the way this is panning out.

Bert

BlueFrog

Update for mine, phone call yesterday, went through both certs, made a couple of changes, (variation).
No mention of doctors cert, requested I email FLO to let them know what was said, basically because it has to be requested by me, all done.

So all in all it's took 7mth + a temp cert issued aswell.

anith

Update for mine, phone call yesterday, went through both certs, made a couple of changes, (variation).
No mention of doctors cert, requested I email FLO to let them know what was said, basically because it has to be requested by me, all done.

I received notice of renewal 2 months before time ,i had 1 month to complete online, with help from the daughter (posting photo)this was done.One week later police phoned asked usual questions certificate arrived one week later.

MobyJones

After many deliberations & a failure to sell my shotguns ,I'll be handing them in to my nearest available police station when this current mini lockdown recedes. There's nearly 1000 cartridges which will be submitted for disposal. The licencing department for South Wales are in acceptance with this decision & only require confirmation by email.....Covid-19 eh?

Just so I understand, are you effectively gifting your shotguns and ammo to the police? When you say you've failed to sell them are there no dealers who'd buy them from you? Or sell them on your behalf etc?

MobyJones

Reading this I'm glad mine are valid for another 27 months or so. I really hope covid will be nothing more than a bad memory by then.

taffy1

Just so I understand, are you effectively gifting your shotguns and ammo to the police? When you say you've failed to sell them are there no dealers who'd buy them from you? Or sell them on your behalf etc?

Gifting/surrendering them is the only option I have. The local gunshop now only deals with air rifles.

haggstock

Gifting/surrendering them is the only option I have. The local gunshop now only deals with air rifles.

If you haven’t already - Try Gun Trader . It’s only a few quid . If you are prepared to sell below average they’ll go like a shot ( pun intended ) . Alternatively join the Shoot Clay and Pigeon Watch forums , list them at sensible money for a non guaranteed private sale , and they’ll sell , even list them for sale on here .

I do hope you don’t have to go down the handing them in route

MobyJones

I agree with Haggstock, stick them on Gun Trader. Alternatively I know a trustworthy gunsmith. I'd happily PM you his details and you can call and ask him what he'd be willing to pay you for them.

easker1

as we have to have Licence for an air rifle here in Scotland Mine is down in England with a Relative, easker1