Shotgun/firearm certificates.

MobyJones

as we have to have Licence for an air rifle here in Scotland Mine is down in England with a Relative, easker1

Next month friends and I will be crossing the border with a small arsenal of high velocity rifles and shotguns with no worries what so ever. But if I bring an old knackered Webley pellet rifle that I've had since I was a kid I risk being locked up. It seems really dumb to me.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Next month friends and I will be crossing the border with a small arsenal of high velocity rifles and shotguns with no worries what so ever. But if I bring an old knackered Webley pellet rifle that I've had since I was a kid I risk being locked up. It seems really dumb to me.
You might still get locked up for crossing the border next month though!

As an aside, my health practice phoned to-day, no one in to receive call, no message left, only reason I know they phoned is last 5 callers display on phone.
Phoned them back at 4pm, person trying to contact me has gone for the weekend.
On pursueing the reason for the call, I discover they want £35plus vat for carrying out Police Scotland instructions (flagging my record for future notifications of mental health issues, and confirming my current state of health, as per my renewal declaration)
Now, to day is 21 days exactly from me handing in said forms to surgery.
First line on the letter from Police Scotland to my doctor states "you have 21 days to comply with this request"
Dont know if form has been sent, as person at other end was not in the loop, so to speak, so now I must wait till Monday to find out if form has been returned, and indeed querry charge.
Are they really trying so hard to make renewals too difficult?

Bert

MobyJones

As an aside, my health practice phoned to-day, no one in to receive call, no message left, only reason I know they phoned is last 5 callers display on phone.
Phoned them back at 4pm, person trying to contact me has gone for the weekend.
On pursueing the reason for the call, I discover they want £35plus vat for carrying out Police Scotland instructions (flagging my record for future notifications of mental health issues, and confirming my current state of health, as per my renewal declaration)
Now, to day is 21 days exactly from me handing in said forms to surgery.
First line on the letter from Police Scotland to my doctor states "you have 21 days to comply with this request"
Dont know if form has been sent, as person at other end was not in the loop, so to speak, so now I must wait till Monday to find out if form has been returned, and indeed querry charge.
Are they really trying so hard to make renewals too difficult?

Bert

During my last renewal two FEO's visited me. They sat in my living room and the first thing one of them says to me is "Now then, you're GP has not been very helpful". You can imagine the thoughts running through my mind at that point...

It transpires that they had chosen not to comply with the polices request on the grounds of conscientious objection. By sheer coincidence I had an appointment with my GP that following afternoon. So I asked the GP why they had refused to co-operate with the police. She checks my file, sees that the local force had been in touch and so called the practice manager on her phone. I could hear every word. The practice manager advised the GP that they're too busy to deal with these requests. It had nothing to do with conscientious abjection.

Thankfully as a result the local force could not reject my renewal because they had no proof of any medical issues that would make me an unsuitable ticket holder and so it was granted. But it was a concern and I as genuinely disgusted with my GP's surgery for obvious reasons. It annoyed me so much that I actually emailed and spoke to my local MP. Though he wasn't any use either!

I've no idea what will happen next time round. I'd like to think they had a quick look at my medical records and decided as I've never been prescribed happy pills of any kind it was ok to ignore. But I just don't know...

haggstock

Arse covering by senior police officers . Politically they can’t have another Thomas Hamilton or Derrick Bird on their watch . So by adding the layer of the GP cross check of your records , and the placing of a firearms marker on your medical record , they hope that the GP can be used as filter and or mitigation if you decide to go on the rampage .

aenoon

Arse covering by senior police officers . Politically they can’t have another Thomas Hamilton or Derrick Bird on their watch . So by adding the layer of the GP cross check of your records , and the placing of a firearms marker on your medical record , they hope that the GP can be used as filter and or mitigation if you decide to go on the rampage .
Was tried before, but G.P's in general objected to the fact they could be used as fall guys. How are police getting away with it this time, and indeed placing the onus for the payment of sending records to police onto applicant, especially as some G.P's might object?

Bert

ejw

Some years ago when Cheshire were using a "contractor" to "vet" renewals, he met my Wife ? Bad move, as she does not deal well with idiots ? I was called by said wife to inform me if I did not get home quickly, there would be a body to hide !
Turns out there was issues with serial numbers and "make" of guns. He could not find a serial number on one bolt action 12 bore, when I arrived I pointed out the marks to him, clearly visible, but at the top of the barrel ? He then argued that a .410 was a Cooie not as put down a Winchester. At this point I agreed with the Wife's assessment of him, then told him that it was a Canadian Winchester and directed him to one inch high lettering along the "action" spelling WINCHESTER oop's !
Not happy with looking a fool he then complained about my storage of Black Powder in a locked wooden chest screwed to the floor and demanded the powder be moved to a metal one ? Not good as at the time the guidelines quoted the unstable qualities of the powder and that it should never be stored in a metal container.
His final act was to ask the wife, if we had an argument, would she be tempted to use a gun on me ??? I did ask if he was "qualified" to ask this.
He left and her licence was renewed.

MobyJones

I'll be on the phone to the legal team at BASC tomorrow morning!

We have a forestry manager going mental at the moment because they've seen a huge decrease in stalkers when they've undertaken a lot of replanting and they're seeing too many deer. He also has wild boar on one forest and can't get a license for night shooting so he's not a happy bunny at all.

aenoon

I'll be on the phone to the legal team at BASC tomorrow morning!

We have a forestry manager going mental at the moment because they've seen a huge decrease in stalkers when they've undertaken a lot of replanting and they're seeing too many deer. He also has wild boar on one forest and can't get a license for night shooting so he's not a happy bunny at all.
I would wait till after Nicola's 12.30 news bulletin!
What might be ok before lunch will probs be obsolete after lunch!

Bert

taffy1

Sadly, my shotguns are now officially out of circulation, I handed them in along with unused ammunition to my local constabulaty. It seems that the use of shotguns is a bit like fly fishing, no new blood coming through to advance the sport.

MobyJones

I would wait till after Nicola's 12.30 news bulletin!
What might be ok before lunch will probs be obsolete after lunch!

Bert

Well I'm due up there next week. The hotel I use need a letter proving my visit relates to essential work. Apparently they will accept a letter from the forestry manager stating that we are engaged in deer management and crop protection. BASC and the local plod are ok with that too.

glueman

Sadly, my shotguns are now officially out of circulation, I handed them in along with unused ammunition to my local constabulaty. It seems that the use of shotguns is a bit like fly fishing, no new blood coming through to advance the sport.
I hope they were cheap and cheerful not posh because they will be scrapped. I was told by Harriman of a case where a punter handed guns in on a temporary basis and they lost them eventually finding them in a shed rusty.

aenoon

Well I'm due up there next week. The hotel I use need a letter proving my visit relates to essential work. Apparently they will accept a letter from the forestry manager stating that we are engaged in deer management and crop protection. BASC and the local plod are ok with that too.
Good, just dont stop anywhere in central Scotland on way up. Currently worst outbreak of all going on in central belt.
Stay safe.

taffy1

I hope they were cheap and cheerful not posh because they will be scrapped. I was told by Harriman of a case where a punter handed guns in on a temporary basis and they lost them eventually finding them in a shed rusty.

Yes they were fairly cheap, cheerful & getting on in age. I think the Silma multi-choke was probably the dearest, cost somewhere in the region of £200 back in the 90's & that was 2nd hand.

MobyJones

Good, just dont stop anywhere in central Scotland on way up. Currently worst outbreak of all going on in central belt.
Stay safe.

Thanks. We're in D&G. Contact will be minimal other than sleeping in a hotel. One of the guys is in a camper van so all good. We won't even be taking any carcasses to the local game dealers, they'll be coming home as venison prices are ridiculously low at the minute with all the restaurants being closed. :/

aenoon

Thanks. We're in D&G. Contact will be minimal other than sleeping in a hotel. One of the guys is in a camper van so all good. We won't even be taking any carcasses to the local game dealers, they'll be coming home as venison prices are ridiculously low at the minute with all the restaurants being closed. :/
Take a salmon rod too!
Nith still open till end of November, often huge fresh back end salmon caught last week november!
Bert

taffy1

When I handed in my firearms, I became the first masked person to walk into the station weilding a shotgun without a raised alarm & an armed response. We did have a bit of a giggle over that.