Should OOS be banished to room 101?

Should the expression 'OOS' be banished ?

• Total voters

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Does anyone else find this prefix a bit daft, pointless, and obvious?

Anyone with half a brain cell knows what time of the year it is, and by virtue of that fact you know whether a fish is in season or not.

I've been trying to think of other such blatantly obvious statements you might make in daily life, and it's that obvious I'm struggling. The nearest I can think of is walking into a card shop on Christmas Eve, and stating that you would like to purchase a Christmas card as it's nearly Christmas.

wobbly face

NO!
There are some idiots that need it tattooing on the inside of their eyelids. :eek:mg:
The other problem (only need to read the 2017 river trout thread), some parts of the UK can still go fishing for brown trout in rivers whilst others have finished. :confused:

G

guestrd

I think it is a polite way of stating you catch a few trout out of season , I only post what's in season , if I catch 20 trout today and 20 grayling , then its only the grayling that are counted and posted up .

I used this OOS caper a few years ago and a few sanctimonious self righteous people were on me like a rash . Trout can be hard not to catch on some prolific rivers .

Come the end of December and up to March then the trout are just not bothered about feeding , Strawberries are out of season , might nip of to Asda for some . Talking of ratios , which one sounds worse . Example caught 2 grayling and 4 OOS trout , second example caught 40 grayling and 20 OOS trout .

Last edited:
G

guest54

Seasons are a strange throw back and take no account of conditions prevailing year by year.
A case in point, I have a big shubunkin that is heavy with spawn right now, there is little or no chance of her shedding at this time of year so will have to re-absorb the eggs or it will mortify and she will die(the most likely outcome), it is too hard set to hand strip. We fish for species in set seasons despite the fact that the fish may be gravid.

Had to think what OOS meant. :eek:

lee71

Sorry but my mind ain't what it used to be and need reminding that some fish are out of season and I shouldn't be fishing there as I'm poaching.:eek::D

haggstock

There are newcomers to the sport all of the time . They need to know that there is indeed a " closed " season .

Fishing is a little different from other field sports in that if you accidentally catch a WBT that's technically not an issue as long as it was not your intended quarry and you put it back , even it it expires and will not live to swim another day as long as you don't take it it's fine . Whereas if you "accidentally " give an out of season pheasant 32 grammes of no.6 there is no defence .

Problem area is personal ethics, if you are targeting grayling , of course the methods employed with a flyrod are not selective . So if you have 5 trout one after the other do you move to another piece of water on the basis that you are a " sportsman " or keep fishing through ?

redietz

The other problem (only need to read the 2017 river trout thread), some parts of the UK can still go fishing for brown trout in rivers whilst others have finished. :confused:

And not everyone on this forum actually lives in the UK. I have a hard enough time remembering all the differing seasons in the various US states that I fish in regularly without trying to remember season for places that I don't fish in regularly.